Chat about anything not Paso related here
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Mc Tools new bike

Post by Mc tool »

Yahoo I won the auction , Ive wanted an RD since I was a kid
Arrived from Chch on the bike transporter monday night , went for a ride tuesday morn ( as soon as Dianne had left for work ..... she dont like me riding bikes any more :( , cant say as I blame her ) and ..... well......
Still havn't found the wrist pin
Havn't had much luck with bikes lately :( :( :( :( :(
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Re: Mc Tools new bike

Post by Fraser »

Hamish,

Yes it is always "buyer beware" on the auction site. But this must have been an existing defect, although not quite at the stage shown. Perhaps that was the reason for selling, the initial signs of impending self destruction were begining to show.

Anyhow, the bike still looks very smart and they can take a huge level of mistreatment, normally. Have done many laps of Manfield, in my youth, aboard a RD which was a parts special (one good one made from 4) and was repeatedly flogged, but always survived.

Cheers,
Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

when was the last time the engine ran and the bike was on the street ?
Seeing rust in the cylinder and on the crankshaft it looks as if the engine was dry, the piston seized and the conrod punched a hole into it after the piston bearing fell apart.
Was it in long storage and did you check it before your ride ? Looks like a full engine rebuild lies ahead. :?
You should definetely have a talk with the seller.

G.

PS: the RD is a two stroke, isn`t it ? Do you have to mix the gasoline/oil mixture or does it have an oil tank ?
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

As soon as I got to the end on my driveway (800m) I knew it wasn't right, sounded flat and was down on power , now there's a thing , I have never ridden one of these so how would I know , but you just do, wasn't right. But I did intend to give it a full resto job and by riding it home I have munched the rh cylinder and I got another one of them for a hundred bucks so Im really only out that hundy . Im having a bit of fun with the seller tho ( he he he ) e-mails about consumer garantees act and dispute tribunals etc ,she will be wishin she had a doberman hangin off her arse when get finished with her. I dont really expect to get anywhere with her but its fun puttin the shits up her . As Fraser sez its Buyer beware , and what I really wanted was a tidy COMPLETE bike and I got that ................ was a good bang tho :) .... full noise and just passing thru 130 km/h on my way to the ton and kafuckenboom , broke the world record for the quickest clutch grab , . Cant help but wonder what all the cars (drivers )I had just passed were thinking as they filed past :lol:
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

paso750 wrote:when was the last time the engine ran and the bike was on the street ?
Seeing rust in the cylinder and on the crankshaft it looks as if the engine was dry, the piston seized and the conrod punched a hole into it after the piston bearing fell apart.
Was it in long storage and did you check it before your ride ? Looks like a full engine rebuild lies ahead. :?
You should definetely have a talk with the seller.

G.

PS: the RD is a two stroke, isn`t it ? Do you have to mix the gasoline/oil mixture or does it have an oil tank ?
the seller was a bit vague about the recent use bit and I think that the thing had sat for a while ( hindsight is a great thing ) petrol smells a bit suss , I think it may be stale . Rust is from the cylinder studs and fell in when I took the pot off. I bought it unseen ( it was 300 miles away) ,looked at the pix and saw it was complete and that was enough for me.
The other pot is ok ( got me home ) and I have checked/tested the oil pump ( yes G , its autolube ) and its working , but someone has fitted pod filters and left the standard jetting which is a nono. I think that either the seller didnt use it much and what she ( fucken bitch :lol: ) did do was fairly sedate ( she's 50 ). It was quite happy to potter round at 3-4 grand but as soon as I opened the tap it was reluctant to do much more.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

What do we learn? A vehicle with unknown service or other history should at least get basic maintainance like fluids and filters changed and not be ridden right away. I`m just guessing it went like this.
I had a similar experience once with a scooter off ebay. Luckily nothing broke though.
In your case you`ll need to split the engine to get all metal particles and the pins from the bearing out which may stick is some oil sludge.
Your wife will be happy you`re working on the bike and not riding it ;)
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

paso750 wrote:Your wife will be happy you`re working on the bike and not riding it ;)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You'll have to work a lot on that engine :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Mc tool wrote:
paso750 wrote:( fucken bitch :lol: )

Haha.

'put the shits up her'

Is that English? :beer:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

stale gas and mucked up oiler=instant melt down

gonna need a crank most likely...If you are lucky( Mctool lucky :lol: :lol: ) you can save the crank
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

plasmid wrote:

Haha.

'put the shits up her'

Is that English? :beer:
thats english downunder style...giving her the shits :lol:
geezees Mc tool you've done a good job on that motor...on closer inspection, that engine is as dry as a dead dingo's donger, the conrod and bearing have no oil on them :beer:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

I had to ride it home after it chundered ( a few k's) so it was getting pretty dry by then. Aint done much about it except gather up a pile of parts, just need the con rod kits and brake caliper kits and I'll be right out of excuses :)
Maico88
model: 750 Sport

Post by Maico88 »

I can say from personal experience that that bike is well worth fixing. The damage is not as bad as you would think.

Here are a couple of sites that you may find helpful.
http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php
http://www.usa2strokers.com/forum/default.asp
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

a can of motor oil thrown in the tank could have saved you the trouble.....
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

What happened is the previous owner had removed the whole air box assy and fitted a pair of pod filters ( and she was a big fat ole slut who only ever putted round and told lies :mad: ) but left the standard main jets in ( 145's ) instead of also fitting the required 180-220 mains , and when I tried for the land speed record it chundered , and in hindsight it wasn't right and I shouldn't have caned it , found out about the jets later , and as you say maico88 it aint that big a deal . I was intending .... even before I found the bike, to do a complete engine rebuild so the only thing its cost me is a 1st over (.25mm ) RH cylinder ( which I got for 50 bucks). I have bought a shit load of stuff off e-bay and am going to do a ground up rebuild........soon ...............one day
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

The wrist pin is in your exhaust. (i'm guessing)

Lean till it seized, then it all went bad from there.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.