Ubunto ! Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Chat about anything not Paso related here
Martian

Ubunto ! Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Post by Martian »

Hi There!

Just received a batch of Ubunto Linux CD's, (32 & 64 bit), and placed a 'self boot' 64 bit CD into my 64 bit PC, (my 32 bit AMD System is currently attempting to update my web site and add some pictures of the new arrival), and I am very impressed with the 'hassle free' load up as it has discovered, and configured itself, onto my home network and I am now logged onto 'DucatiPaso.org' without having to enter a single setting. A far cry from earlier attempts at running Linux!

During the days of Windows 95 and 98 I yearned for a stable alternative OS but Linux, (although vastly more stable), was also in its infancy and configuration issues really put people off, (especially when trying to set up the graphical interface)!

This particular version appears very stable and is a very polished product and, (best of all), it is entirely free! Which leads me to the reason for this post, (especially so considering the cosmopolitan make up of this sites membership), are you all aware of this particular version I wonder?

I was made aware of Ubuntu by way of a visiting Dell Engineer, (last month), and he told me that if you visit Ubuntu's web site you could order as many copies of the OS as you like!!

I was rather sceptical but, I entered my details, and waited, and waited, and waited and, (about 8 weeks later), I received 30 copies of the 32 bit version and 20 copies of the 64 bit version. I paid no money for the media and no money for the postage and I received, absolutely, no erroneous email since placing my order either!

Each 'copy' comes with two CD's, (full installation CD and a 'live' CD - which you boot from), and, 'hey presto', your Windows PC is immediately, (but only temporarily until you reboot), turned into a Linux box! I am very impressed!!

Obviously, Ubunto are attempting to present a very philanthropic approach to operating systems in an, ever growing, commercial world that we all live in.

Who says there is no such thing as a free lunch?