What chain Lube do you use?

Chat about anything not Paso related here
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

What chain Lube do you use?

Post by redpaso »

At the suggestion of Mr. Slocum in the in the "How old are Paso Riders?" thread I agree it would be interesting to see what we use to lube our chains.

Myself, after a long time owning only Shaft drive Bavarian Screamers I do not enjoy constantly cleaning Chain lube from my rear rim. Being white I do like to keep it as close to that colour as I can. I have tried a few different things but have settled very happily with FUCH'S CHAIN GEL. It is thick & a quick squirt around the inside of the chain keeps things nicely lubed & there is minimal "fly off" that blemishes my rear rim. If you have not tried it I recommend you give it a go, best thing I have ever found.

:thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

Well, I tell you what, Red, a week or two I bought a large can of Silkolene 'Maintain' Semi-synthetic, which I haven't used before. A few days ago, after a good ride on the Paso, I put it onto the chain, while the chain was still warm straight after the ride, like you're supposed to. As I was slowly spinning the back wheel while putting the Silkolene on, after only one revolution of the back wheel, it suddenly felt distinctly easier to spin. At the time, I thought perhaps I had imagined it, but only a few minutes ago I got back from a little ride on the Honda, and put some onto that chain while it was warm. Same thing again, very noticeably. I think it must be good stuff.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not a chain lube Jihad!!!

Can't we talk about octane instead??

I think I'm using a PJ1 product that goes on white and dries INSTANTLY. Never any fling is flung. Skins, I'm with you. It IS easier to turn after being lube.
DuC-MaN
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by DuC-MaN »

| '92 907 I.E. | '88 750 Paso under construction |
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Kitten spray? I thought there was no animal testing?! :neener:

I use a can of PJ1 blue, and Skins I feel the same effect. I only put the stuff on when the chain's been warmed up a good bit and haven't had any problem with excess getting flung of, either.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
KillerB
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

I use Amsoil MP HD. It is like a wax that you spray on, no flinging off.

Regards, B
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

For my Z-Ring chain I use SAE 80-90 mineral oil applied with a brush, as Regina suggests:
http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_and_m ... to03.shtml
(it's a recommended link for newbies)

LC
KillerB
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

Hi, Luca

I just bought a new Regina Z-Ring chain and am waiting for new sprockets. Thanks for the info.

Regards, B
Lotus54
year: 0

Post by Lotus54 »

I've been using the DuPont general purpose Teflon lubricant. Come in a spray and squirt bottle.
It goes on nice and clean, no residue and doesn't seen to attract dirt.

So far, it is great.

Mark
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

I use Castrol Chain wax, what function very well :thumbup: No dirty rear wheel and least 500km easily, what i have used lubrication period. If rainy, then i lubricate every 400km, or so...

Antti
delagem

Post by delagem »

My understanding is O ring and X ring chains are sealed, and no amount of lubricant will make a difference. Lube on these chains only serves to prevent rust; and also to help dirt stick to form an excellent grinding paste!

I gave up on all chain lubes years ago, and I only use WD40 to keep the chain clean. Then I wipe every bit of it off when I'm done.

I checked my chains for stretch recently; a new one, a 5 yr old one, and a 10 yr old one on my 900ss. All DID 520 ERV series X ring chains. Over 10 links, the measurements were the same, less than 1/16 of an inch difference. Now, I'm not going to use either the 5 or 10 year old chains, but it's nice to know that good chains really do last.

My friend put a cheap, non O-ring chain on his bike, and in one year the chain is toast, and now his sprockets are junk, too...

I think the quality of the chain, and chain adjustment is WAY more important than the goo on it...

Now, about that octane discussion, Jon....
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
Lotus54

Post by Lotus54 »

The 'O' rings need some lube between them and the plates, plus there is some need for lube between the chain and sprockets. The internal grease is for the well, internal part of the chain.
Not a lot of lube is needed, that is possibly why your use of WD40 has worked for you. It has a small amout of lubrication in it.

At least that is my understanding.

Mark

delagem wrote:My understanding is O ring and X ring chains are sealed, and no amount of lubricant will make a difference. Lube on these chains only serves to prevent rust; and also to help dirt stick to form an excellent grinding paste!
Rogero
year: 1992

Post by Rogero »

My Scottoiler has just run dry, and for the first time since I bought the bike my back wheel is white not like a dalmation dog!

I don't think I'll bother re-filling it!
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)