Hand clutches

Chat about anything not Paso related here
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Hand clutches

Post by Mc tool »

Hi , D day is upon me ,getting right leg chopped off ,upper thigh ,on 19th Nov.
I have a Ford Capri which has 3.9l Rover V8 and 5 speed but being deficient in the leg dept will leave me without enough feet to drive a manual ( stick for you Trump worshipers ) and I went some way down the auto trans (sludge box ) route by adapting a ZF 4hp22 out of a BMW ....and ...well sludge boxes have their place ,but not in a sports coupe, so I an swinging back to the 5 speed way . I was always going to have to convert my car's to a left foot accelerator for the auto , but then I got to thinkin that a motorbike clutch master cylinder attached to the manual gear stick , in theory ,could be the answer. Any of you guys seen this sort of thing before? Probly have to run a booster but then I saw a twin plate 7 1/2" clutch set up ( goes with an ally flywheel :cool: ) and I figure they might have a lighter action....end of the day the Mrs has to be able to drive it too ,she has formidable fore sight and got in with this demand before I had even realised the potential opportunity to get her out of it perminantly ....lead footed bitch doesn't need that much Ned under the welly :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Hand clutches

Post by higgy »

Been a long road for you with the leg.condolences. Planning a memorial ?
On the clutch have you considered an electric clutch setup ?
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Sorry hear that it's come to that. I've been hearing about your struggle for the last 8 years or so since I joined this forum and I'm amazed that you've managed to keep so upbeat. I hope it works out for you.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Hi Higgy , :) . Somebody else suggested an electric clutch but it was such an "on or off" thing I couldn't see how you'd get the car rolling without laying rubber. Something more like a radio control model servo would be better . I can't help thinking that a hydraulic set up ,even with a booster would have more feel , but not sure just how important that is . I have been driving normally with no feeling at all in my right foot for years now ,took a bit of getting used to, specially if the radio is loud enough that I can't hear the engine as I rely on that to tell me that my right foot is indeed pressing on the accelerator so I can time the release of the clutch to get moving
Any how I will have a look for an electric clutch. I spose the biggest hurdle is that I have to pay for this myself ( no insurance for that ) so whatever I end up with has to be reasonable price wise
Life ain't so bad tho ,my crook leg is only a small part of life and while I would rather be whole but not having to work and still getting paid 80% of my salary ain't all bad and my insurance co (Acc) has paid out over $800k in medical bills while I been pottering in my shed or renovating my house , now I ain't saying it was worth it but it's closer than you may think :D . The thing I miss the most ( apart from riding my Paso :roll: ) is not being able to grab a rifle or fishing rod and go find something for tea , soft/rough ground and crutches don't mix ,specially if I'm trying to carry something as well. Ladders are out. ( I bought some scaffolding that I can scramble up on ) but I can still do most things , just takes longer :)
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Hi Hamish,

What about the other way? Leave the clutch as it is (left foot for clutch and brake) but have a hand throttle (Tommaselli on the steering column), suit you sir?
Sent you a PM.
Cheers,
Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Yeah , I thought that too Fraser but you would have to have one hand on the throttle all the time where as a hand clutch on the gear lever means you would only have to handle the lever the same as now except your doing 2 things with left hand