My next bike? or Ducati threatens to break the litre barrier

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

My next bike? or Ducati threatens to break the litre barrier

Post by fasterdammit »

I've been in the market for bike #3 for a while now, and I've been trying to make up my mind ... the Hypermoto just looks like more fun than humans should be allowed to have, but I've sort of had my heart set on a pre-999 superbike (almost had a 748RS ... ) just because of the styling. Then I thought about the 999 - better ergos, better all around bike, etc. But I've also been toying with the idea of building up a Supersport and fitting into a Baines Racing kit - so a tweaked SS1000DS lump parked inside a retro-looking bike with modern-day components = total sleeper.

Anyway, there's been rumors here & there about it, but it sounds like Ducati is going to take the best of the 916/99# lines and merge them into something with either an 1116cc, 1148cc, 1188cc or 1199cc powerplant. And you know ... I can wait a year or so, I think, if they really do. It sounds like it; they've been pushing the AMA to change the displacement rules for racing - but even if they don't, Ducati is making noises like they're going to build it anyway.

The single sided swing arm is going to return, but the exhaust might be an underbelly unit (a cross between a Buell and the new GSXR-750) or something upswept - both pictured below. I was hoping for the Desmosedici's top-mount, but then they couldn't make a biposto. Styling will supposedly be a mix of Tamburini's 916 and Terblanche's 999 - the barge boards will remain, but the headlight unit might recall eaerlier models. 5 gets you 10 they'll go back to the side-by-side headlights, and they'll look something like the Desmosedici RR's. (There was a lot of noise made about Terblanche's freight-train headlight bucket ... )

Granted, I still want a 748/916/996/998, and a Hypermoto, and I'll still build up a retro SS ... but if they build this, I think this will be my next ride.

Some of the articles floating around:

crash.net
MCN
Raceway News - translated
Raptors and Rockets - about a 1/4 of the way down

Personally, I like the idea of the first pic better; the sketch doesn't look ... Ducati enough, I guess.

So my friend, and you know who you are, is this what you were referring to, those months ago? ;)

So, thoughts, anyone?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
delagem
year: 0

Post by delagem »

Jake, are you referring to me? Yes, this is what I heard about from the Ducati Test Rider back over the winter! But my understanding is it was due out Fall 06... Flammini has said that he supports a 1200cc displacement for twins in WSB, but Ducati must first build a bike.
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

I like the top pic, the bottom one looks too Yamaha. These days litre bikes seem to be small capacity motorcycles. personally I dont think you really need much more but if the twins are to keep ahead I can see why Ducati are pushing for this in WSB.

Can wait to see them in the showrooms :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Michael - was I that transparent? :laugh:

I didn't realize Flammini was in agreement; I thought it was still up in the air but Ducati was going to build it regardless. But even better if there are green lights down the road already!

Red, I'm with you - I like the first, 'massaged' picture better than the sketch. "Too Yamaha" is a good way to put it. :D Too angular or something, not human enough. I can't decide if I'd rather see the under carriage exhaust or the vertical vent exhaust like the 'Sedici has ...
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

More spy shots - of the real thing! Not great quality, but still ...

1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

And mention of 160hp ...
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
delagem

Post by delagem »

Jake, that's an interesting blend of a 996 and a 999! Looks just about how I pictured it from the descriptions I was hearing...

Roadracing World July 2006, "The Future of World Superbike": "If tomorrow we see that Ducati stops making an marketing the 999 and if they forget about the 1000cc sports bike in the future and they turn to a larger capacity machine, in my opinion we should consider how to accept that bike because otherwise Ducati will have to build a special machine just for racing. If they abandon the 1000cc capacity then it will be important to find a solution so that we can continue to mirror the market on our grid. Allowing a larger twin to compete with the 1000cc capacity Fours, would be the first step." Paolo Flammini, CEO of FGSport, promotors of WSB.

Another interesting viewpoint, from SB Notes, WSB Valencia:

"Fiorani, speaking on behalf of Honda Europe, added that he saw no problem with the FIM accepting a 1200cc Ducati for SBK competition "if and when Ducati stops making the 999 and produces a 1200 in sufficient quantity. Of course with a 1200 Ducati would no longer enjoy their current advantages of being allowed unlimited inlet diameter with matching alternative throttle bodies." RRW July 2006

Carlo Fiorani is Honda Europe's race boss.

Ferchrissakes, even Honda thinks Ducati should have a bigger bike!
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Looking at those pictures it looks like that is either a really small rider or the bike is rather big. The fairing looks like it is probably close to what they will produce but with a few extra bits taped on to disguise the lines of the production version & the pipes deffinately do not look like a finished version.

Looks good so far :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Another picture, looking more like I imagine the real thing ...

I want one. REALLY REALLY BAD. Rumors are that some shops are taking pre-orders already ...
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
KillerB
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

I NEED that bike!!! :lick: :lick: :lick:
delagem

Post by delagem »

I'll wait until some rich dumba** buys it, wrecks it in the first week, and then sells it on eBay! But it might take a while....