If you didnot own a paso what duke would it be?

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

If you didnot own a paso what duke would it be?

Post by redpaso »

Just wondering what other Ducati's you guys & gals would be owning if there was a world without Paso's! Just suppose the Paso never saw the light of day, would we all be striving to own a Bimota DB1, which was the original Paso design but Cagiva decided it was too extreme for what they wanted in "their" first Ducati? Would it not be a Ducati at all?

I realise that many of us own other Dukes or even other makes of bike, I my self also own a K100rs BMW, great bike it is too but it is not a Ducati! so what would it be?

Myself I am a real fan of the traditional Ducati, I love the 2 valve motor & oddly enough for a Paso owner I also love the trellis frame, especially when you can see a lot of it. So given a world without Paso's I would probably be sitting on a 900ss (93-97 vintage) they look fantastic & handle just as well, or a 750F1. What a flat out looking machine they are, never ridden one but I really doubt that it would dissapiont, then of course there is the original Mike Hailwood 900 replica, not the Mille because they went all tall & plastic.

Any way that is my thought on the matter what would everyone else be on in a Paso-less world?
mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by mike »

in no special order:

although these have caught my eye a few times too:

:D
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Hi !

If need to use own money, then next will be ST4S or ST2, cause i travel a lot around Europe with bike, but if no need to think own money, then some other modells, just those older bevels and maybe Multistarada for short trips....

Finnpaso
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Mmmm, yes all very nice, The 851/888 family is also a favourite of mine, I would probably go the 851 tricolour because that it where the whole Superbike resurgance started for Ducati, & it shares the mirror/indicators with the Paso, they are pretty cool, even if they are totally useless when you have a pillion of luggage hanging off behind.
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

sat on a multistrada today, seemed like a nice fit. my back won't take the clip-ons anymore. the monsters have been of interest since they came out too. won't have to worry about that for awhile till i find some work.not in a real big hurry for that,either. i'll wait till the weather breaks and it's riding time, then find a job. make sense?
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:confused:

damn good question, cuz, damn good question ...
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Well, my Paso already shares the garage with a '97 Monster 750, so that's a given.

Otherwise, to answer your question ...

All of the above. Except for the Indiana, I don't think. That doesn't do much for me. :neener:

Seriously though, I'd love to have an old single 250 or 350 someday; a Supermono would be wicked, but I'd be happy with a Superlight, too. A good friend of mine just sold his '87 F1 racer :sad: ... I like them, but not terribly comfortable. Definitely an early '70s SS though ... 750 or 900, doesn't matter. I don't expect to find a '74 greenframe that I can afford in this lifetime, but I'm open to donations. :D And the Hailwood reps - I'm with you Mike, a mid-80s version, even though the Mille is an interesting retrospective ...

In all likelihood, though, my next two-wheeled purchase will be a late-model 748 ... it's not that I dislike Terblanche's work of late, but I want to own a piece of the style that ruled for a decade ... that noisepiece, the swing arm, the exhaust ... it's iconic.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

I dream about the masterpiece of Tamburini: Ducati 916, a real legend of style and performance...
but since it's a bike "for the tracks" and not for the street (tourism), I'm afraid it will always remain a dream...

LC
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

I think very much the same way, Iceriani, but now that I've owned a Ducati, I'm not sure that I could live happily without one. So I'm still trying to think of an answer to this damn question ...

By the way, I like the style you've added to your Paso with that little screen. You Italians know how to do it! Also, I'm curious about what your name means. Does it have an English translation?
steele

Post by steele »

Think its going to have to be a 999 :thumbup: Hey skins you should see my modified screen :cool: will post picture soon when bike finished.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

I currently lust after a SuperLight.

I would like to get a MultiStrada though for everyday riding. Oh the power of that 1000 engine. STUMP pulling power. If anyone hasn't ridden one yet they should try it.
Paul
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

I fell in love with the first Ducati that I ever saw, and the second. The first was a brand new late seventies 900SD. It was black with gold trim and a tiger's head on the side, and used to be parked outside our local pub most nights. That was what I was looking for when I found the Paso. There was also a Kawasaki H2 there mosyt nights (which I would also love to ride one day). I can't imagine two more different types of bikes.

The second Ducati used to arrive at Tech. College just as I was leaving every Tuesday evening. It was a 450 Desmo in a mustard yellow and looked like a race bike, but without a fairing. I could hear it coming from about two miles away and I used to stand in the car park until it arrived.

Most of my friends wanted Yamaha RD250s / 400s but I wanted a Ducati (but I could only afford a Honda 250).

Paul
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

The original style of the 916 lasted 7 years before Ducati decided to change its look... and nowadays it's still wonderful! Aaahhhh....

for Skins:
mi nickname si LCERIANI, that is simply for Luca (name) Ceriani (Surname). Ceriani is a typical surname of my lands... a few km from Cagiva!

LC
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Thanks, Luca! So ... Cagiva is a place. I must look at a map. And I must find out more about the Cagiva company. I always think of them as being very important in the history of Ducati, and they help to make my bike special. Everyone loves that little elephant on my bike.

PS: aha, no ... a little research reveals Cagiva is NOT a place. You must be referring to the factory, Luca. Cagiva is a name made up of initials, like 'BiMoTa'. The town of Varese contributes the 'va'.
Last edited by Skins on Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:oops:

Hey, Luca! Sorry I've been spelling you nickname wrong ...