Demise of the ST?

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Demise of the ST?

Post by redpaso »

Interesting to note as I perused: http://www.ducati.com that the 2008 model line up does not include the ST3, I did however notice pictures of Multistrada & Sport Classic models with full luggage set ups on them. Does this mean for the first time since the 750 Paso that Ducati does not have a dedicated Sport Tourer for sale?
This appears to be the case & if so it seems like an odd decision as the ST's have been very popular & capable motorcycles. :wacko:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
gail
year: 0

Re: Demise of the ST?

Post by gail »

Yeah looks that way, My brother just purchased a ST3 a couple of months ago and he's stoked with it, it will be unfortunate not to have a sports tourer in the lineup .. We may have to wait till 2009 to see if anything is in the pipeline. Like you said the ST range has proved a good seller over the years.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

redpaso wrote:Does this mean for the first time since the 750 Paso that Ducati does not have a dedicated Sport Tourer for sale?
Really, since 1992 to 1997 Ducati didn't have any sport tourer...
I think, we will have to wait to see another one.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Those long time "rumours" have come to truth. ST series stopped and nothing is coming very soon. Ducati have done somekind of lining/research, what peopple are waiting from Factory and i heard, that Ducati wants to go more to Hypersport side, not to sport tourers. ST2, ST4 and ST4S stopped, cause engines wasnt anymore in store shelves. Thats why they had to make 3 valver. Monster have been all time best seller Ducati. I have heard, that also Supersport series stops soon, or stopped already... I havent look them so much, so i dont know that Supersport thing.
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

SSie stopped this year already.
ST hasn`t sold very well, has figures like SSie`s last year.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

The SS range quietly disappeared at the start of 2007. Looks like the decision to continue with the "Limited Edition" Sport Classics has meant an end to some other models. I must admit the more I see the Red GT1000 decked out in soft luggage the more I like it! :wink:
Not sure how the Sport classics are selling though, I see them in teh Ducati Dealers but have not passed many (if any) on the road.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Ducman
year: 1992

Post by Ducman »

Glad I got my ST3 before the end of the line...this bike rocks!!!
Still have the little hotrod 907 though :choo:
spaynenda
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by spaynenda »

My guess is it's a simple matter of no demand. This type of bike appeals to me, and has for a long time (which explains why I have a Paso), but the market has moved on.

I only hope I can score an NOS ST3 or a lightly used ST2 before they get scarce, because I want to do some serious touring upon my retirement (probably next year). I actually prefer the appearance of the ST2, as the ST3s seem to look too much like a VFR, or something Japanese, at the front of the fairing.

If you think about it, just as SUVs have become the vehicle of choice for many folks, regardless of need, it seems the Multi Strada and Hyper Motard are all the rage among older Ducatisti (not me, though).

Philosophically, I'm not keen on the retro stuff, but at the recent Mods & Rockers event here in San Diego, I rode with a guy who had a very attractive new GT. What made it attractive were a few simple tweaks by the owner, clubman bars, a bar-end mirror, a bobbed rear fender and open Termi "mufflers." It looked and sounded great, although for sport touring the clubmans probably wouldn't work for me.

Curiously, my 20 year old Paso looked very modern compared to all the retro styled bikes people showed up on, e.g. Triumph Thruxtons, Ducati Sport Classics and a bunch of old Hondas done up like '70s cafe racers. It was fun to see, but I still prefer the Paso. Wish I could buy one new.
Make it a good day,
Sheldon
'88 Paso
'62 200 GT
'78 Laverda 3CL Jarama
'84 Laverda RGS 1000