Yamaha MT01

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
steele

Yamaha MT01

Post by steele »

Went to the launch of Yamahas new sports roadster yesturday 1670cc cruiser engine in an R1 like chassis what a bike i am having a test ride next week :D
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

That's what my Dad wants for his next bike - he's positively itching for them to make it to US soil. Which is good ... it'll be a great kick-in-the-pants to all his Harley buddies (he's got a wide glide now). Lots like a of fun - you'll have to give us a ride report! Pics too! Lots of pics!
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
steele

Post by steele »

I will try and do that ..Hope its going to make it to the states it was suggested in the press here that it wasnt going to be sold there .
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

At the moment, that's the plan. But that was also the 'plan' with the FJR 1300 tourer, too. Toss it around Europe for a couple years, get the States' undies in a bundle for it, then drop the dime. Just Yamaha's way of letting the hype engine warm up first. Hope that's the case with the MT-01, that's for sure. I wouldn't mind waiting for any bugs to get ironed out w/ the first couple years of production, let the aftermarket wonks stock up, and then drop it in our laps.

Man ... 1670cc of air cooled snot. Enough to make any HD wet its pants. :neener:
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
steele

Post by steele »

Only a couple of days to go now getting excited have a look at this site :cool: :cool: :cool:

http://www.yamaha-mt-world.com/default. ... ue&Lang=en
steele

Post by steele »

Well what with one thing and another i forgot to post the report of how the mt went ...Well bit of a dissapointment really makes a lovly sound :cool: ..Very heavy...handles ok bit out of shape on ripples the real killer however was the vibration only rode it for about half an hour hands tingled all day ..oh and the pillion posistion not very good to quote Nic my girlfriend The look of the thing is stunning ..and it made 87.6hp on the Dyno ...err dont ask anyway dont think its the next bike for me :D
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

No kidding. I'm sort of surprised to read you assessment, Steele. I wonder if some of that was 'engineered' into it - in order to make it feel closer to the American cruiser market? Either Yamaha Kawasaki did a similar thing with an earlier version their big cruiser - they actually engineered in some lumpa-lumpa (a counter-counter-balancer?) so that there was some engine vibration, like the HDs. Which sounds like 'industrialization' to me, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, is it vibey throughout the whole rev range? That's pretty short anyway, right? What's it top out at - 5500rpm? I wonder if the vibes will get sorted out before it hits American shores - whether or not they are intended. I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with something to make the hand controls easier to deal with.

And isn't the torque right up there w/ HP?
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
steele

Post by steele »

Yes the torque is indeed way up :D still think it is a stunning looking bike and what ever it must sound like with the optional pipes :cool: :cool: