You are what you ride (?)

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

You are what you ride (?)

Post by fasterdammit »

You Are What You Ride: Progressive Survey Finds Differences Between Harley and Sport Bike Riders Go Beyond Bike Type

What can you tell about a person by the kind of motorcycle they ride? Plenty, according to a recent countrywide online survey conducted by The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies, the number one seller of motorcycle insurance in the U.S. The survey finds interesting differences - and similarities - between Harley-Davidson riders and those who ride sport bikes.

For example, everyone knows that Harley riders wear their passion for biking on their sleeve... literally. The survey finds Harley riders are three times more likely than those who ride sport bikes to own clothing or artwork that displays the brand of motorcycle they ride (93 percent versus 30 percent, respectively). Harley riders are also more likely to have body art such as tattoos and piercings (52 percent versus 40 percent).

The survey also finds that Harley riders are more likely than those who ride sport bikes to plan rides around where they'll eat (32 percent versus 23 percent). Sport bike riders are three times more likely to eat at fast-food restaurants (18 percent versus six percent), while riders of Harleys are nearly four times more likely to pick restaurants with the nicest looking waiters/waitresses (11 percent versus three percent).

"At Progressive, many of us involved in our motorcycle business are riders, too, and this survey was a fun, tongue-in-cheek way of getting to know more about our fellow bikers," says Rick Stern, a rider for more than 15 years and one of Progressive's motorcycle product managers. "Motorcycle insurance is a very specialized product, and you never know what bit of information may lead to the next insurance innovation."

The survey confirms that both rider groups have much in common, too. For example, both say "freedom" is the number one reason they ride. And though sport bikes are commonly known as "crotch-rockets" or "road-rippers," only six percent of those who ride them say they do so for "speed" while fewer than one percent of Harley riders say the same. Both groups listed the same top excuses for justifying a quick ride: running errands, testing the engine and visiting friends.

Progressive's survey also finds that ninety-five (95) percent of all riders acknowledge their fellow bikers while riding. Waving is the preferred method of acknowledgement (37 percent), although Harley riders are nearly twice as likely to acknowledge other riders by pointing two fingers down (29 percent versus 16 percent). Harley riders are six times more likely to only acknowledge those riding the same style bike (18 percent versus three percent).

Additional survey results include:

-- An overwhelming majority of riders (88 percent) donate time or money to charities. Two-thirds of Harley riders (67 percent) and one-third of those who ride sport bikes (33 percent) participate in at least one charity ride each year.

-- Sixty-nine (69) percent of all riders daydream at work each day about riding their bike.

-- Eighteen (1 percent of all riders call in sick to work at least once a year to go riding.

-- Women prefer to ride with their significant other (58 percent), while men choose to ride with their friends (63 percent).

-- Adding custom parts that enhance the look of their bikes was the number one choice for Harley riders (73 percent), while adding performance equipment was the top choice for those who ride sport bikes (44 percent).
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I'm 5 for 5 of that last bunch of statistics ... as a sport bike rider, that is. ;)
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Very interesting reading. I must admit that I fit in to a lot of those catagories forSportsbike riders to. I find that on the wave front I do not acknowledge harley riders at all as I personally do not feel they fit my idea of a motorbike & what they were invented to do (just a personal view). Riders of jap bikes or non twin Euros get a nod of the helmet while the wave is reserved ONLY for DUCATI or other Italian Twins. Is this just getting a bit too picky do you think?

I do not base very much riding at all around food or pretty waitresses. I also have no body art, I don't mind it just haven't got it. I am thinking of the work DUCATI in the old 2 line style of the late 70's early 80's but probably wont.

I do not like to ride to do errands either, if I ride I like to do at least 100km & don't like to stop unless it is necessary. I just love to Ride!!!
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

i guess that confirms what i've thought for some time now,that being i'm different. i have my 1st davidson (says so on the bike cover) a road king '03 model. i have no 'too's, piercings or other modifications,very few h.d.shirts(definately no more than ducati,bmw etc) all but 1 a gift.
i have never gone on a tavern to tavern run.prefer to ride alone or with 1 or 2 people. if my wifes goes prefer she ride her bike but is welcome on the back.
doesn't matter if i'm on a 60 yr old indian,40 yr old bmw,10-30 yr old duke or the new davidson i do like to grab a handful of throttle but never ring it's neck nor do i have the desire to ride over 100 mph but usually am over the speed limit somewhat.
i'll acknowledge anybody on a bike but don't want to ride around like it looks like i'm trying to take off flying waving my arms around.
i've spent less than 100 bucks on chrome for the davidson as i'm not a polisher and nothing on speed parts for the 907 or any other bike.i prefer them stock so i know they'll start and run good when i want them to. can spend hours on end in the garage in the winter working on ,preserving or restoring a bike but in the summer spend little time in there even tho it's got a/c if i want it.
i get the same feeling when i ride as i got in any jag,mg,or vw we've had wether it's a roadster ,coupe,wagon or sedan. i really don't know what this tells me!??!!?
i've had at least 2 bikes since 1970 or so and as many as 35 or more( some incomplete baskets) prefering the european stuff and as old as 1919 to the '03 fresh out of the crate ( the box is hanging on the wall in the garage )
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Myself, I'll give anybody a wave ... although I generally assume I won't get one from a cruiser type. Depending on my mood, I'll give them a nod or a two-fingers off the clutch salute. Sportbikes generally get a noticable acknowledgement, however, I've noticed the squids (stunta wannabes) don't get it - so whatever. My view is, we're all brothers out there on two wheels ... even if there's a good portion of posers.

As for riding, I'll ride anywhere, but the understanding is that if I'm on two wheels, the ride just got that much longer. Case in point: if I take the truck to work, it's about 5 miles each way. If I take two wheels to work, it's generally about 30-40mi in the morning, and anywhere from 30-100 miles to get back home.

I don't like riding in huge groups, especially when you don't have that level of understanding with every rider. I've taken a couple large group rides ... and I usually end up in a clutch of riders I know and trust, and we all let the fools go first. 5-6 riders is about my limit, provided we're all in tune with one another. Otherwise, I'm just as content to head out by myself.

And as for Mrs. fasterdammit ... well, since our daughter was born, she hasn't ridden with me. She doesn't have her own cycle, but has talked about it ... guess that'll be a little later in life, now. ;)
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Heeeeey - thats a fairly cooool survey :thumbup: :thumbup: I woulda thought it was fairly obvious that Harley owners don't buy their bikes for speed though.......... :roll: :roll: Good reading though.
Me - I wave at all other bikers - the sense of freedom on a bike is great (tis till the car with the funny coloured lights starts up anyway.....) Waving is just a way of saying 'Ride safe, avoid the cages & cops, & be at peace mate.......)
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Duck, good philosophy on the wave mate, I wish I could do it but the best I can manage for a Jap bike is a nod, it is still recognition but they don't know what riding is till they mount an Italian twin :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Ducati & Harley owners here are a bit renowned for not waving at any other riders - me - I'm fairly easy going mosta the time, & a bike is a bike.........hence the left hand wave, while doing a flybye...
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Hey Duck Congrats on your new found Pasochism mate! :thumbup:

I will work on my wave to improve Ducati - Jap relations but I still don't think I can go so far as acknowledging a Hog, it just goes against everything that i believe a motorcycle to be :toofar:
Redpaso
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

& heres me thinking that ya were going to say that for something so sloow, ill handling, unreliable, expensive & over-rated - a Harley is a great thing............. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Right there with a Gold-wing, on my list of bikes that I'll never own..... :roll: :roll:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:toofar:

Aww ... come on you guys, take it easy. Are you just razzing, shooting your mouths off, or trying to start something? Ever ridden one? I haven't, so I can't say exactly what they're like, though I hear the vibes are pretty bad.

Also I hear they are rather reliable machines - wiggs said in a post a couple of days ago he'd heard that 80 per cent of the Harleys ever built were still on the road. I'd say that figure would be approached only by Ducati, and maybe Moto Guzzi.

I also seem to remember hearing that they are the best-selling motorcycle in the world (although that may be 'large' motorcycle)

I know some of the nastiest people ride Harleys, but so do some of the nicest, like wiggs.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

It is nothing against the Harley rider SKins, although some of them make you wonder, Each to his own I say & I don't have aproblem with that. I just genuinely do not get the whole Harley-thing. I have ridden 2 of them in my time both owned by mates taht were trying to educate me as to the joy of the Harley. I did not like ANYTHING about them. Not the ride position, the crude noise that is mowhere near teh sweet sound of a ducati (They are so totally different sounds that I am befuddled that even somebody with no bike sence could confuse them). the amount of noise they make in comparison to the forward progress they are making is very dis-proportional to me. I do not like the lack of cornering ability. For me that is what riding is all about I aviod the highway because it is always straight & Boring, it is also where the Hog is at it's best so we are comming from totally different perspectives of motorcycling me & Willie G.

I have nothing against the owner/riders I think the whole image is a bit of a wank but I guess people say the same as I ride past on a red/white/black bike with co-ordinated leathers & Helmet. If that is your thing great, it is just not mine & as much as I try to understand I can't!

I probably feel the way you feel toward sidecars!

& as for the whole Gold-Wing thing??????????? that is a different state of confusion altogether, all teh comforts of a car with half teh wheels. They are ussually seen with trailors that fold out into camper tents & ridden by those in their golden years so maybe I will understand that in about 30 years. For that matter I might understand to joy of a Harley when my knees finally give in & that is all I can ride. I guess I would rather be on something than nothing. I just don't realise how good I hae got it just yet.

as for the wave, in my younger days on a 600 Suzuki I discovered through experience the rudeness of the Harley culture when I was actually told I had no right to acknowledge a harley rider as I was not in their league. I agreed with him & have not waved since!
Redpaso
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Maaaaaate!!! Hey - reckon you've probably 'nailed it' there, cos a fair bit of that is my thoughts too, with the following to consider as well (& yes Skins - some of my Harley comments were a little bit tongue in cheek sorta stuff........)

For me, regardless of what I ride or own - i consider myself a motorcyclist - I learnt to ride when aged 8, & have been passionate about bikes for as long as I can remember - (have even been employed at various bike shops as a mechanic).

One of the things that I admire about the American people, is the way that they are so passionate & patriotic about their country, & also the products that are manufactured there. Couple this with a strong Marine environment, who see bike riding as the ultimate form of 'freedom', & Harley Davidson have a recipe for success, no matter what the product is like. And hey - I have no problem with that at all - I think it is truely great!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: As such, I believe that the 'Black Ribbon' rides that happen in the States, are absolutely amazing, & I stand in awe of the people that are involved. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Where things come unstuck a bit in my thoughts, are when Harley's are seen purely as a status symbol - I believe the bulk of sales, certainly on this side of the world, have that association attached to them. They are mostly brought by people that could'nt ride their way outa a wet paper bag, but think the 'chromed up Harley' looks great parked outside the cafe on a Sunday.
Verification of this statement, is found by the number of low-mileage late model Harleys currently for sale. The middle-aged wannabes (accountants/lawyers etc) have moved onto the next yuppie 'in thing'.
To be fair, Ducati have also had their times when ownership of their product was driven by these types of buyers. The advantage is that once the fad is over, there are bargins to be had by 'real' motorcyclists.
Seems ironic, the amount of motorcycle accidents there are these days, by people who are aged 40-55.........................
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Well, some of your opinions are quite understandable, but perhaps I can make my position clearer by explaining that my concern is for the machine - the poor old Harley Davidson. (Actually I think in some ways I like machines more than people, but I suspect that may be a bit unhealthy, so I better leave that there).

Anyway, if the Harley survival rate is 80 per cent, the machine deserves some respect for that.

They are almost always much louder than they should be - but that is not the machine's fault. Do I have to explain why?

The riding position is up to the rider.

A certain proportion of Harley riders are nasty people - but that is not the machines fault.

I understand they vibrate badly - but many machines do. Even a Ducati will vibrate badly if not tuned properly. (And I reckon many Ducati riders have no idea how smooth their machines could be if carefully tuned. Many owners and mechanics do not have the time to get the best out of them).

The only race on a twisty road I've had with a Harley, I was left for dead. (But I reckon the guy must have known the road, and I didn't).

Anyway, I say: take it easy on the poor old Harley (the machine, that it)
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

When I was in the Australian defence forces I worked with a guy that owned a Harley. Now as a member of the ADF there are strick grooming regulations inforced therefore our hair was always very short & neatly groomed. Anyway, I got on alright with this guy at work. I knew he had a Hog, he knew I was a BMW rider, we talked GP races & stuff, i called him a mate not just a work collegue. Then one toy run I ran into him, did not really notice him at first because he had a hat on that had this huge platt out the back down to his plumbers crack & this long hair hanging down all round the sides of it. He had the denim vest with patches & all the right tatoos up his arm. I had a bit of a chuckle to myself before I decided it was definately him & casually strolled over to say "G'day" When I did this I was told very definately to F**K OFF! Well you don't need to tell me twice so I called him a wanker & left. I saw him at work the next day all nicely groomed & spik'n'span again. I did not bother talking with him after that, I told him I don't care what a person is as long as they are genuine & not a tryhard that is aiming to fit a stereo-typed mould to be cool or what ever.

Be yourself not your brand image! :screwy:
Redpaso