You are what you ride (?)

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Skins, I hear what you are saying, I too am a fan of machine over man on occassion & you are right we are bagging the rider here. You know what i feel of the machine but that is just my thoughts.

Did you know there are actually people in the world that do not like Ducati's :screwy:

I guess that are not familiar with the PASO : :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

It's a funny old world, cuz. Do you know there are actually people out there who don't like motorcyclists?

This Harley business is sad. I really feel sorry for the poor old Harley. And the company does nothing, of course, to clean up the image, because it works for the sales department. It's bluddy complicated, eh?
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Hmmm - turned into a interesting discussion here guys....... :thumbup:
Whatta ya mean some people don't like motorbikes - truely :confused: :confused: ?? Thought it was only 'her mother' that does'nt........
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:confused:

Yes, it is interesting. Best-selling big bike, with a cranky engine, and bad PR.

But I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave you guys to it - I've got a head of steam up on a piece for 'Apex'.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Look 4ward to it - think thats more your department than mine........... :thumbup: - my mind wanders tooooo easily, apparently.......... :roll:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

OK, mate. Glad you enjoyed that last piece on 'Apex'.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Oh dear - gotta have another go at Harley Davidson - :evil: :roll: :roll: Ummmm - can anyone think of any other manurfacturer that has spent so little on R & D since inception of the brand...............????!!!!!

"Sorry Skins" - I just had too.............. :evil: :evil: :toofar: :D :neener: :thumbup:
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

ah, the HD discussion, a favorite. :)

My father rides a HD Wide-Glide. He didn't get into motorcycling until he turned 50, and that was only because I wound up leaving my old Kawi in their garage for a summer. The next season, he bought a Yamaha Maxim, and then the HD. He hasn't bought into the whole HD lifestyle (thank goodness, or I'd really be chaffing his hide) but he really enjoys the bike. Compared to most HD owners in the area though, he actually rides his putting upwards of 10k a season on it easily. And while we don't have the same riding styles, I've followed him through turns and watched him drag hard parts; his biggest complaint is lack of lean angle which I think is a fantastic thing for a HD owner to complain about. :laugh: :thumbup:

Anyway, he has plenty of new Harley buddies who are mired in the lifestyle. I find it comical to begin with, and I really enjoy it when they try to give my Italian bikes the rub. In most cases, when they get really snippy, I make them compare odometers - and that usually makes them pipe down. The one thing I hear from a lot of them is that their bikes are big cube, air cooled twins yatta yatta yatta, and that bikes shouldn't have radiators blah blah blah. Granted, neither of my Ducs are water cooled, but it's assumed they are since they're generally perceived as a sport bike. So I really enjoy turning it around on them to point out not only is my 750cc bike air/oil cooled, but it's half the size of their big American iron and easily out performs them and is WAY more reliable & comfortable. Plus, two words: Italian styling. Need I say more? :neener: Then if we get into the performance discussion - all I need to point out is HD's V-rod w/ its Porsche-designed, water cooled engine. :)

Anyway, getting down to it, there are good people and there are jerks in all walks of motorcycling (except Paso owners; obviously, we're all good). I know lots of sportbike owners with disdain for cruiser owners and indeed, disrespect for other riders in general. Not that I associate with that type. Equally, I know lots of cruiser owners who dismiss sportbikes on the whole. Whoever, I also know riders from all niches of motorcycledom who all agree that we're all on brothers on two wheels out there. And what matters is that we're out there. Those are the people I like.

Which describes just about everyone I've "met" on this forum. So, cheers to you all, and lucky me.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Lovely stuff, faster. But listen, you say Ducatis are more reliable than Harleys. Don't a lot of people consider Ducks unreliable? Especially in the past? I do believe they are survivors, though. And what about wiggs saying (and I have also heard this) that 80 per cent of Harleys are still on the road? Is that despite the fact that they are actually less 'reliable' than Ducks?

And less comfortable than Ducks? I have always found 'sit-up' bikes comfortable. Are you referring to the vibration? I find most Ducks uncomfortable - they're not, of course, when you're racing (no bike is) but I try not to race so much these days - the Paso is great, a real ST.
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

now skins remember,when magoo (my buddy) told some harley guys that 80% thing they were just starting to skake their heads in agreement with pride when magoo piped in with the punch line about the other 20% apparently made it back home!!!!!!!!
now i did hear some time ago that there are more (american made) indians on the road 2-day than there was in the 50's when they were still made and i believe it.i brought 4 back to life myself. the 80% h.d. thing was meant as a funny i thought.
my davidson is rubber mounted and way smoother than the 450 jupiter i had ,at any engine/road speed and 3 times the displacement. yup,it do drag when pushed ever so slightly in the twisties. if i ever buy another davidson i may consider a superglide sport with better suspension. but then i think"isn't that what the 907,860 gt and some of the other stuff is for". need i reiterate that i enjoy each bike for what it is.
i'm pretty sure the 450 jup would have beat the davidson on that road that day. i even told scot that that road is a 450 ducati road not a road king road. now getting there is another story as it is 150 miles from me just to get there ,so in that respect the h.d. won on the slab.
i try to find positives in people but there are some people and their attitudes that make that challenge not worth the effort and i've seen them on all makes of bikes.
hey jake,be glad your dad rides and you can go riding with him. melody and i spent our honeymoon in the cancer hospital,literally,as my father got sick a week b-4 our wedding. he passed 10 yrs ago feb 1st. mom and dad always said i would never have a motorcycle! period., but then he got me a honda 70 for christmas one year that i still have. that musta been 1900 and seventy one.
wow , i just read most of the rest of this post. wow!! i do own a h.d. but i don't agree with the lifestyle thing. as a kid about 7 or 8 yrs old we lived in the country. a local scuzball club came to town at the go-go club and caused trouble. my parents call a cop we new and his wife told us things were o.k.,under control. i was scared sh-tless!!!!!!! i don't know why people feel the need to dress to scare little kids when they walk down the street when it isn't even halloween! to this day i don't wear a black leather coat and agree to being a motorcyclist but correct someone if they refer to me as being a biker.it's o.k. for some ,not for me.
hey skins, thanks for the compliment.i'll buy you a cold one at flannigans some day i hope.
welp, gotta pee so i'll close for now. luv ya, wiggs
(that oughta git ya thinkin')
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

i think i'll go work on the sidecar or maybe the '59 r69's avonaire fairing.guess i could put the battery in the 860gt or fiddle with the eldo. the oil in the davidson needs changed or i could work on the '39 r12 . then again the dogs like to play ball or i should do some laundry... what's an easily distracted hillbilly to do?
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

He should jump on the Paso & ride :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Wiggs - ain't life fulla decisions mate............. :roll: :roll: :D :thumbup: :umm: :umm:
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I was wondering where the punchline was about the 80% of HDs still on the road ... ! The way I heard it, it was 95% were still on the road - the other 5% actually made it home. :laugh:
i try to find positives in people but there are some people and their attitudes that make that challenge not worth the effort and i've seen them on all makes of bikes.
Very well said! I concur. (Where's that beer emoticon when you need it?)

I wasn't saying that every HD owner is a poser though, not by any means. There are posers - just as there are posers and squids in the sportbike realm. There are the "1%ers" too - same as any other realm - who *live* the lifestyle, and don't just shop the HD accessory catalog to look like they do.

I will agree that HDs have become more reliable, especially since breaking away from AMG; AMG could've been the death of the marque if they'd held onto it, so I do commend the brand for durability, along with trying to reinvent itself and possibly alienate itself (w/ the V-rod) from its fans, in order to attract another market segment.

And Skins, yeah, I was referring to the 45º potato-potato-potato off-kilter vibration in terms of comfort. When Dad & I ride together and we pull up at a light, I see his front tire 'hopping' - not catching air - but definitely dancing up & down. I took it for a spin, and while the torque in that beast was fun, I've come to expect more from my bike in all areas: rev range, power output, brakes, suspension, etc ... the only thing his HD has over my Monster or the Paso is a noticeably larger torque output (according to the denim-dyno) - and that might only be because the HP output is less. Also, re: comfort, the upright/relaxed sitting position is easier on your back, but for me, in terms of riding - I'm not very comfortable because it doesn't suite my riding style. I feel more a part of the motorcycle on the Paso or the Monster, whereas I feel like I'm in a recliner balancing on two wheels, with a bad massage motor on Dad's HD.

And maybe I need to translate this into something for Skins' Apex forum - but there definitely is something to riding alongside Dad. Especially given our diverse choice of motor-vation. We like to break each other's chops about it, but that's half the fun. I think I'll save the rest for the Apex ...

But Mike, my heart goes out to you & Mel; that's very sad about your Dad. My condolences regardless of how much time may have passed. I don't take for granted my good fortune, in being able to ride with my Dad ... just as I'm sure Christian doesn't take for granted hers. :)
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:laugh:

Goddamn! I finally understand about the percentage of Harleys still on the road ... it's a joke! A good one, too! Thanks, faster. And I'm uaually pretty good wth jokes. Trouble is, I take bikes so seriously, I guess. Could I tell you guys some jokes! I can tell jokes about jokes! Did you hear the one about the guy who took an ostrich and a cat into a bar for a drink ...?

But I tell you what, the fact that it got me suggests to me that there is a grain of truth there. I'm sure there is a higher survival rate among some machines than others. Machines that last are not neccessarily reliable ones. It would be very difficult data to collect, but very interesting.

Mike, my condolences too ...