Preoil? Starting an engine after a long Down time

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
DucSoup

Preoil? Starting an engine after a long Down time

Post by DucSoup »

Okay, this isn't really idle talk but neither is it purely model specific. If I post it in Paso 750 someone in 906 or 907 might miss an answer. Or worse, they might have an answer and not check 750!

So, My bike has been idle for quite a while, seven or eight months. There is no guarantee that it will start as soon as I start cranking it. In fact the chances are rather good that it will not start till I figure out an electrical problem. My question is what is the best way to lubricate the insides?

I thought of spritzing some oil into the spark plug holes and that would probably work for the cylinder/piston ring interface. However it would do nothing for the journals or bearings in the lower end. Is there a way to pre-oil the engine? If it were an aircraft engine I might do such a thing. Can one rent pre-oilers for motorcycles? Where would I go about hooking up the pressure line?

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

What I have done in the past, Carl, is squirt a little oil into the spark plug holes, and then turn the engine over on the starter motor with the kill switch on 'off' till the oil pressure warning light goes off. Then put the kill switch on 'run' and start her up. I don't think there's much else you can do.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

... unless you have the bodywork off, and an extra set of valve cover gaskets ... you could always open up the works and spritz some goodness down from the top. Seems like a lot of work though, and I'll bet Skins' suggestion would cover your backside pretty well, anyway.

Otherwise, you've got the right forum alright - this is exactly the kind of stuff I had in mind for all the reasons you stated! :thumbup:
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Follow skins advice. The iol doesn't dry up, it does leave a film for initial lube, but it's better to get it circulating first. Once started, don't rev it, just let it warm for a few minutes.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

As per Skins advice should be fine - odds are it won't crank up straight away once the plugs are back in anyway - you'll probably have to strip & clean the carb as well.
Get it going & up to operating temp - then do a oil & filter change as well I reckon.