Chassis numbers

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Chassis numbers

Post by redpaso »

Just wondering if anybody actually owns the 906 with the chassis number 000906, or 907 with 000907 or 750 with 000750. That would be really cool to own & definately worth holding on to. :cool:

Mine is number 000897 (906) does anyone have the numbers either side of this?
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

I think, near 50% of Pasos are wrecked, or destroyed, so difficult job to find such VIN numbers :oops:

Finnpaso
907IE
750 Paso
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:confused:

Hey, Finn - why do you think that nearly 50% of Paso's are wrecked or destroyed? Do you really think so many are gone?
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

Skins wrote::confused:

Hey, Finn - why do you think that nearly 50% of Paso's are wrecked or destroyed? Do you really think so many are gone?
I would agree with Finnpaso. Absolutely I would, in fact, I would bet that fewer than 50% of the original 1986-88 750s are left.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Yeah, but how do you arrive at this estimate?
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

i've been hunting down paso serial numbers for 7 years
you'd think that we'd account for more than 1%.
the pasos were very unloved in the 80s. my insurance carrier told me that if i fully insured my bike and crashed it, it'd be totalled. period.

it's just an educated guesstimate.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

I think you mean 10%, based on our membership, don't you Mike?

Perhaps it's naive optimism, but I can't help feeling there are a lot more around. Why would they just disappear? They can't have worn out. They can't have just been left out in the rain to rot. Surely there must be a large number of them, perhaps not visible, not in use, probably because of electrical faults, but still there.

It would be a real challenge to try and get some real information on this matter.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Example i have seen, when many 750 Pasos have been transported from Italy to Finland and wrecked to parts, cause soo difficult to find some spareparts... Thats why its not so bad idea to buy one Paso and put it to part/sell some expensive parts/use myself hareder find parts... Without need to pay high Fininsh "car taxes" :mad: , cause bike is not coming to street use.

Finnpaso
907IE
750 Paso
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I've got the only Paso around these parts. The closest 'neighbor' was a friend's '87 F1 - which he sold. I have yet to see another Paso in person, just knocking around ...
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Yes we have a rare beast indeed. Since owning mine I have only seen one other & it was in a bike shop. Nothing on theroad. I long for the day I give a huge wave to a fellow Paso Pilot on the highway. There are more hailwood replicas around here han Paso's. :roll:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

I wouldn't be surprised to find that only 50% of the Pasos are left alive. It is/was a hard bike to keep running right and was born with some problems "built" in. The carb and the electrics can be very tough to figure out.

I see plenty of parts come up on ebay and it seems like many are parted out because they can't easily or inexpensively be brought back to running order. It's one of those bikes that has a fairly low value when running here in the USA of about $3000 and if it's not running then maybe it's worth less than $750-$1000. If it's not running, then the individual parts are probably worth more on ebay.

Sad, but it is a labor of love to keep the Paso running strong. I can't imagine having to take mine to the dealer to get even the simple problems sorted.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Many thanks for your feedback on this on, chaps. I'd like to do more on this one, but I'm flat out with everything plus trying to make an impossible silver and gold ring for my son's 17th birthday in two days, so just a brief reply here:

I've been a bit luckier with Paso-spotting, which is ironic given my anti-social bent. In the last three or four years I've seen one on the road when I was riding (a 750,stopped for a chat), two while I was driving (talked to one, a 907, at the lights), have one living close by (a 750), and have seen at least six (one 907, the rest 750's) in three Wellington city bike shops. Also I get good service from the two shops I've used for work and parts, one shop being the local Ducati dealer. And my bike goes like a rocket! A smoooooth rocket! But the DellOrtos do use a lot of fuel. So, it's not all bad - there is hope!

Maybe more from me on Paso numbers later.

Thanks.