I'm looking for a new brain-bucket ... opinions, please!

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community

What do you like? Post up your model, and the manufacturer if I don't name it

Shoei
38%
Arai
13%
Suomy
38%
Bell
No votes
Icon
No votes
KBC
No votes
HJC
13%

Total votes: 8

fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

I'm looking for a new brain-bucket ... opinions, please!

Post by fasterdammit »

Actually, I believe I'm going to order up a Shoei RF-1000 (Anthracite, below) because it fits my melon quite nicely and they seem to be pretty :thumbup: in terms of comfort, weight, reliability and best of all, protection.

So, anybody have this lid and what do you think? Any nay-sayers? Let's hear it. Opinions, opinions, please!
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Duh, my bad ... right after I post this poll, I see there's one similar already started in Off Topic. whups :oops: AND I left out a couple big names (AGV ... ) Well, post up anyways ...
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

I haven't noticed the other poll, faster. I'll take a look for it.

You must try a Nolan flip-up and see what you think. I am extremely happy with mine. I use the flip-up function all the time. Have you ever had a flip-up helmet? It's a whole new world! A wonderful one!
I haven't tried a BMW flip-up, but from how they look, I'd say the Nolan mechanism is clearly superior.
KillerB
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

My wife bought me the Suomy Ducati helmet with the picture of the desmo valves on the back last year. It's a nice light weight and fits my dome nicely.
Regards, B
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

I have a silver Shoei. I think it's cooler in the sun than a dark one.

My .002
steele

Post by steele »

Emm no shark on the list ..always does it for me :thumbup:
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

a buddy has a nolan flip that he liked very well until he got a schuberth(sp). it has a flip down tinted sun thingie that seems to work well . a german friend let me know of a sale on the schuberths so he ordered 2 for us. they were not the flip style but do have the sun visor option that i like. when they get a little older i will try to get the flip up schuberth or the nolan skins spoke of. i do have a flip style but it fell off the seat when parked once and they flip thing is messed up,i don't recall the make of that lid. i do like the flip as it doesn't require removal of specks to put on and remove.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

The best thing I ever had for the sun was years ago - a molded plastic peak that I could fix to the visor with heavy press studs. All I had to do was nod my head down a bit to shade my eyes, and I could ride into a setting sun with perfect vision.

They may still be on the market, but I haven't looked, because at the moment I'm not riding as much as I used to.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

I'm told the flip ups are quite noisey campared to the regular full face.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Can't say I notice much difference with the Nolan in that respect, Jon. I had a Shoei TXR prior to the Nolan, and I thought that was a bit noisy.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

I have found that the only ones that have fitted my really well are either Shoei or AGV. They seem to have better support in the cheeks & fit my head well. I have tried Aria but they swim on me. I have not tried any of the wave of brands that seem to be appearing constantly in recent times but as my current AGV R1 only has a year or so left in it I guess I will compare them soon. I really like the Shoei helmets but find they are extremely expensive here in OZ & as much as I value my head I can't seem to justify double the price for a Shoei compared to a similiar AGV.

AS for riding in the late afternoon sun I have placed a strip of black electrical tape across the top of my visor in th epast which has worked well & is easily removable.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Yeah, the strip of tape works a bit, I've also used it, but a peak is much more effective. Trust me, cuz.
DuC-MaN
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by DuC-MaN »

Im using a flip-up from http://www.lazerhelmets.com

I chose a flip-up because im wearing glasses, now i can put on my helmet without first taking off my glasses, laying them on the seat with the change of falling on the ground. I also dont have to take my helmet of while paying for fuel at the gas-station..
| '92 907 I.E. | '88 750 Paso under construction |
Apex

Post by Apex »

I have been wearing an RF1000 for over a year now and I love it. It is comfortable, shield changes are a snap and the thing vents very effectively. It is light and quiet and is not too high priced. :thumbup: I have a bunch of helmets, including an Arai Quantum e, and I really prefer the RF1000.

Jeff
Apex

Post by Apex »

jcslocum wrote:I'm told the flip ups are quite noisey campared to the regular full face.
Jon--I have a Schuberth Concept One and it is by FAR the noisiest helmet I have ever owned--and I have owned quite a few. It's heavy too. It works ok when I am touring on my Harley and I have the windshiled mounted up so the helmet is out of the wind stream, but on any of my bikes when my head is in the wind, it's awful.

Jeff