I'm looking for a new brain-bucket ... opinions, please!

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community

What do you like? Post up your model, and the manufacturer if I don't name it

Shoei
38%
Arai
13%
Suomy
38%
Bell
No votes
Icon
No votes
KBC
No votes
HJC
13%

Total votes: 8

fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Just to follow up, I finally said screw it and go with what you know. Anything would be better than my 5 year old lid, which was getting a little sloppy around the the face.

So it must be the shape of my melon, but certain helmets just were not comfortable, which was a little disappointing because I was really interested in some of them. Namely, a Shoei RF1000 - but the large was REALLY tight, to the point that if I talked, my lips brushed against the chinbar. That was a little too close for comfort in itself. And the XL was really loose. Ok, that's out. I tried AGV, Suomy, Arai - the Arai came close, but too tight across my forehead. In some of the other helmets my chin stuck out the bottom without even opening my mouth so that was a bit of a turn-off.

After reading the lengthy and much-debated helmet article in a recent issue of Motorcyclist, I was curious about the Z1Rs - they rated very well in terms reduced impact to the head - but they have to be The Most Uncomfortable Object I ever put my head into this side of an aluminum cooking pot.

I was very anxious to try on a Shark, as I've heard lots of good about them (not to mention half the GP field wears them), but I can't find a dealer. I was tempted to order one & return it if it didn't fit, but nobody would forgo a re-stocking fee - and I didn't feel like paying $25 just to try a helmet on.

I did find the Scorpion helmets fit well, and they supposedly have some great anti-fog lens (but I'm not really interested in the lens as 1) they're replaceable and 2) they're not going to save my noggin if I land on it); however, they rated very poorly in the test results in that article. Actually, Scorpions transmitted some of the highest amounts of impact energy to the headform. Not good.

So I bought HJC again. An AC-11 this time. This time I went with a large (instead of an XL), too. This has some serious venting and an interesting visor positioning system. For vents, there's one on either side of your jaw, each with 6 opening positions; one at each temple, each with 3 opening positions; one across the nose w/ 3 positions as well. There's also a really handy anti-fog nose-piece that clips in place as well. It's much larger than in the past and really seals against your face.

The lens also has a new positioning system which allows you to crack it open across the bottom without having to worry about it flipping up if you turn to look over your shoulder. So far so good, but I'm sure those little plastic pieces will wear a bit over time, too. But still - handy.

I like it. I'd still like to find a Shark to try on, but as long as I have a decent brain bucket until then, I'm happy. :)
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Good on you faster! :cool:
Always a nice feeling to be putting on a new lid, glad you found a good fit. I have gone through all these dilemas in the past as I guess most of us have. I can't wear Aria as they just swivel around on my head which disappionted me a few years back when I desparately wanted a Joey Dunlop replica but they just did not fit. Wish I had bought it just for display. :roll:

Would it be possible to get the helmet article in the download section for all to peruse? :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Found it Red! I guess it takes a while for their published articles to make it online, but it's been out for a couple months. I decided to start a new thread with it because I think it's a pretty important issue.

Here tis!
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750