Helmet Comparo Test

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Helmet Comparo Test

Post by fasterdammit »

The following article has really caused a commotion in some circles, as it's a somewhat-independent look at crash rating probably the most important piece of gear for motorcyclists: helmets.

They try to take an objective view of the Snell rating system and discuss it against some of the European standards (ECE-22, etc) and get into what these ratings systems test, along with what that actually means to use motocyclists.

It's a long read, so get comfy. However, IMO, the article is worth it if you value your brain-bucket and its contents. I was very happy to see such a lengthy & in-depth discussion in a monthly rag that IMO usually tries to sell to the common denominator. I'm sure it tweaked a lot of noses and apparently they lost a couple big advertisers due specifically to this article. So for that, I applaud them again.

Maybe this will open some discuss in this forum, too; I'd like to hear other's thoughts on the matter myself.

Article: Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off by Dexter Ford
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

thanks faster, it is appreciated. Always good to know what we are spending our "hard earned" on & even better to know that it will do the job we buy it for.

It is a long article, think i will print it & have a read next time I sit in the "Small room" :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Thanks faster,

I read the article & WOW it is a very interesting read indeed. :eek: I think that it has probably changed my philosophy on helmet buying. I do not buy the super expensive because I could not see how they could be that much better & I now know that they are not! I would also not look at the cheapies because I figured I needed better than that, I probably stilll wont buy super cheap because I like to pay attention to detail & comfort but it is great to know they will do the same or better job & I will have more money in my pocket to pay for repairs if the unfortunate happens.

Being in OZ everything has to comply to Australian Standards, but I perused the bike shop on the weekend & paid attention to what was on the helmets, All the US sourced lids still contained stickers certifying to DOT/SNELL etc as well as Aus Std. I am now on a mission to find out exactly what the Aus. Std. actually is, I'll keep you posted on this.

In the meantime everybody should read the Motorcycle Helmet performance article linked here by faster.

Go on, do it :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

It really made a difference to me, reading through that article and all the ensuing discussion, including Snell's response(s) and I see in the latest issue of Motorcyclist Dr. Hurt himself has responded as well (author the early 80's Hurt Report) - with what sounds like a ringing endorsement for the helmet trails & experiments. It's really made me question the credibility behind "requiring" a Snell endorsement; I mean, that's great if you can bounce a rocket off a helmet - but not if the expense of which means getting your bell rung to the tune of brain damage.

I look at it this way: helmets are throw-away; my melon is not. I buy a new helmet every couple years anyway since they get sloppy and too broken-in and presumably better technology comes more available. I don't expect to stop a bullet with my head anytime soon, or bang it repeatedly in the same spot against a corner anvil (or a steel orange ball, as thearticle mentions) - and while it's great to think the shell of my helmet is tough - I'm more concerned with the impact energy that gets transferred to what's inside the shell.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
KillerB
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

Wow, Faster

What an eye opener. I never thought about helmets that way. I guess I was from the school of DOT cheap - Snell better. When searching for my next lid I going to put more thought into it.

Thanks for posting the link.

Regards, B
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Yeah, it really changed my impression of the Snell endorsement, too. I thought the same way you did; and I didn't realize that in the States, the manufacturers did their own testing to become "DOT compliant" ... that to me makes absolutely zero sense. Called me biased, but after seeing a decline in business ethics in general (WorldCom, Enron, anyone?) in the past couple years, it makes me a little nervous.

IMO, this is the kind of discussion/education that every rider should be privy to.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Paul
year: 1987

Don't read the article while you are eating

Post by Paul »

Please don't do what I did. I made the mistake of reading the article while I was eating my lunch. Egg mayo and the following quote don't go down too well...

When your brain swells inside the skull, there's no place for that extra volume to go. So it presses harder against the inside of the skull and tries to squeeze through any opening, bulging out of your eye sockets and oozing down the base of the skull.
Just a warning.

Paul