News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Audible Turn Signals

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Soon after I got my bike, I was looking at the wiring diagram and noticed it included an audible turn signal - ie, a warning beeper to let you know your turn indicator is flashing. I was very pleased, because it's really dangerous riding in traffic with your turn indicator flashing because you forgot to cancel it.

However, I had noticed no beeper on my bike. So I had a poke around about the steering head, and sure enough, I found two wires (or was three? I can't remember) doing nothing. I went and bought a beeper, A GOOD LOUD ONE, wired it in, and sure enough, it beeped in time with the indicators. Maybe you can do the same, if your beeper is missing. If I can do it, it must be easy. As Jon Slocum will tell you.

You can aim the beeper into the wind shield, which makes it louder. Mine is loud enough to hear at motorway speeds. Even with my bad hearing (too many drugs and loud motorcycles, and I worked for a while as manager of a rock group)
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

I dunno Skins, those beeper sounds are really annoying. To sit at a traffic light with that thing screeching all the time.... Kind of like dinner with my mother-in-law!!

I would prefer a brighter more visible indicator light since you supposed to be scanning the dash once in a while ;-)

THere might be a self cancelling flasher out there that could work too. I'll do a search. And he is all thumbs when it comes to electrics, something about "how can you work with stuff you can't see?"
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

FWIW, I think Harleys have self-cancelling blinkers ...
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Yeah, Jon, I agree that listening to a beeper for a while can be annoying. What I do is, put my signal on just before I begin to move.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

My K100RS indicators self cancel & do so in relation to the speed I am doing. There is also the wonderful 3 button indicator system on the K which I actually like.

As for the Audible indicators, I rode one of my sisters bikes a few years ago that had this on it & found that I just did not use the indicators as it was the most annoying thing I had ever experienced (Particularily in town). I guess that would ensure you cancel them & therefore made it were effective for its designed purpose. I certianly wont be seeking out the wires concerned. Interesting to know they are there though

:thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"