my 1st Ducati

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

my 1st Ducati

Post by lane1feathers »

G'day all, last month my wife relented and let me buy another bike after 8 long years without one. I had my eye on a fully restored red Paso 750 but it was 400 km away. I was tossing up whether to hang onto the dream or just go and buy a 900ss from the local dealer (my 2nd choice) as she was refusing to drive me, when I saw a "slightly used" dark blue 906 for sale online located 2 suburbs away.
I went and checked it out and when I got there I couldnt believe how mistreated this poor bike had been. There were cobwebs in the air intakes, rust on every bolt head and all over the discs. It had done 55000 kms and its last service was at 18000 kms!!! The rear tyre was bald and the front wasnt far behind. The seat had no vinyl, the left hand side mirror was missing, both front indicators were cracked, chain was stretched and both sprockets worn.
I pushed the starter and she fired up first go...much to my surprise!! He told me it had a new battery and no electrical issues what so ever.... As she sat there bubbling away I fell in love. I geared up and took it out for a test ride. It did everything it should and the rust on the discs had gone after a few kays, so upon my return I haggled hard saying I would need to spend at least 3k on it gettin it back to roadworthy. I got it for 4k. I had to go and get the money so the owner suggested I take it up to my place and show my wife and bring back the cash, so I did. My wife gave her blessing so I set off again via the bank. As I was about half way back to sellers house the bike died. I know nothing about Ducatis as Ive never owned one so I rang the owner who came out with a jump pack. He went straight to the fuse under the seat and pulled it out. It was blown so he replaced it with one he brought with him. It wouldnt turn the starter until he connected the jump pack. It roared to life and off I went. I know what youre thinking...and alarm bells were ringing in my head too but I was in love so I laid the money down. After signing the papers and getting a jump start I headed for home. A noneventful trip and as I pulled into the drive my son came out saying "its so loud"...this with stock mufflers! I gave it a rev and shut it down...just as it dropped its guts all over the driveway :oops: if I didnt have buyers remorse before, I had it now.
It ended up being the neck of the expansion tank in the cooling system. I hunted high and low for another one but couldnt find one. During my search I stumbled across this forum...what a god send this forum and all your information has been. With everything Ive read here I have managed to give Daisy (her new name) a full service including cam belts (which scared the shit out of me until I did it!), new cooling system hoses, CBR600 cap conversion, new chain and sprockets and of course the mandatory aftermarket regulator which was not charging the battery, a new set of Golden Tyres (which are actually very good), recover the seat, etc.
My wife gave me a budget so I couldnt go overboard but I think she's come up real nice.
Thankyou all so much for posting your problems and your solutions for all to see. They have saved me at least 2k in costs and given me the satisfaction of doing it myself. Another Paso lives on :thumbup:

Lane
...project 906 (Daisy)
Attachments
my 906.jpg
my 906.jpg (193.1 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: my 1st Ducati

Post by paso750 »

Regarding the described condition I cannot think of any currency in which 4K wouldn`t be too much.
It`s great tho that this bike didn`t find it`s fate in being parted out and sold on ebay like many others that probably are in better condition.
Nice to hear that another Paso was saved and back on the street, well done :thumbup:

G.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

A nice story and your bike's looking great. :)
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Rhino
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Rhino »

Well Done that Man!!

Welcome to the madness - if I/we/any of us can be of help we will.

And a BIG "Thank You" from all of us for saving another Paso!
Rhino

If God rides a Harley . . .
Then the Devil rides a Duke!
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by lane1feathers »

Thanks Rhino, I couldnt have done it without you. You guys have already helped more than you realize. Its a pleasure being accepted into the group. I will take good care of her and post any updates as they occur.

Lane
Project 906