Voltage Guage

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Voltage Guage

Post by redpaso »

I am thinking of fitting a Voltage Guage to my 906. Has anyone done this before?

If so any information & pictres would be appreciated.

:thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I used an universal voltage gauge once as I had problems with the regulator.
It was one of those cheap small, but long digital gauges which also show internal/external temperature. You can find them in any car shop usually. It was only so high that it could be fitted above the instrument panel (in the gap between the instrument panel and the front fairing. As it was illuminated and digital and only had a + and - wire to connect I had to include a small switch to turn it off. There`re for sure better solution, but this did what it should.

it was something like this

http://www1.conrad.de/conrad/layout2/de ... iew=search

Gerhard
delagem
year: 0

Post by delagem »

I bought a rather large voltage gauge to run on a total-loss race bike, but it turned out the LED display drew too much power, kinda defeating the purpose. So I shelved it.

I have just installed a Battery Monitor on one of my bikes to test. It is sold by Electrical Connection, part # 04101, available at http://www.electricalconnection.com. It is a small LED that is red below 11.5v, yellow from 11.5 to 11.9v, and green 12.0v and over. Costs $25.

Here's a pic of it installed:
It's the little one in the middle. The ones above are neutral light and low fuel light.

Here's the Monitor on the bench:

In my opinion, the light is not bright enough. The 2 LED's above it are easily visible in daylight. The Monitor's light is not as bright. However, it can be seen, and the information it provides is better than the simple "idiot" alternator light.

What I have learned from blowing up 5 rectifiers over the past 15 years is that frequently there is a warning. Two of my rectifiers burned out one half of the unit several months prior to completely failing. They wouldn't charge the battery at idle, but as the rev's rose, the one side was enough to begin charging. Hopefully this Monitor will catch this before I'm stranded on the side of the road, calling my wife to bring me another battery so I can ride it home!

For the Paso I'm trying to come up with something that will also show overcharging. I burned up several batteries on my first Paso because of the overcharging issue. Haven't found a meter that does that yet...
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
4away

Post by 4away »

I have got the answer to your problem. I have just purchased a Heads-Up LED Voltage Monitor. Tese are made by the Signal Dynamics Corporation (USA). (SignalDynamics.com). These cost about $35 but the LED flashes green at over 15 vdc, steady green at 12-15 vdc, stedy amber at 11-12 vdc, steady red at 10-11 vdc and flashes red at below 10 vdc. It also self tests when initially started (red,amber,green) and auto-dims after 7 seconds.

I installed mine today and found out that my Paso 750 is overcharging above 2000 rpm.

Hope this info helps.

Al (4 away)
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

How many Volts You mean by "overcharging" ??? Normally Ducks dont charge battery in idle 1200RPM, but should start over that. Good voltage for starting battery is 13.6- 14.0 V and that should be quite stable till redline.
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
4away

Post by 4away »

By 3000rpm the voltage is about 18v.
Al
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

SURELY TOO MUCH!!!! Change regulator and check all charching wires! :sad:

Btw, with SUCH voltage, Your battery is VERY SOON drained and its gone also!
Last edited by Finnpaso on Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

Al, I think that antti is right! remember yuo're betting your ECU (electronic ignition box)! :thumbdown: They don't like overcharging! :ugh:
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Nicola dear, 750 DONT have ECU(if its EU modell), only Kokusan modules and those are not so sensitive to over voltage... But If its "bad" USA Marelli modell, then that can happen and then very hard to find new Marelli unit. Those Marelli systems seems to be quite bad, cause very many have gone to "heaven of ECU:s" :laugh:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey