Going into hibernation ... :(

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Going into hibernation ... :(

Post by fasterdammit »

Being in central NY, our riding season is somewhat limited unless you have knobbies and a dual sport. It's been raining the past three weeks, and getting steadily colder - if it breaks past 60ºF it's "nice out" ;) ; except it's still raining.

Anyway, the Monster is back on the road, and just in time. So it's time for the Paso to go under the knife and give those sneakers a break. Just in time too; I got around 10k on the Michelins and the rear tire shows it. I know I rode it past the safe zone but since the Monster was still getting its wrinkles ironed out - I just took it easy. No threads showing or anything, but it was getting pretty bare back there. I was fine as long as I stayed on the sidewalls - still had some tread left there! :D But I didn't want to shell out for a new pair of sneakers only to have her sit idle on them - come the next season, she'll be fine + dandy.

So between now & then ... it's valve service time, and Martin Brickwood's collets are going in, in place of the stock half-rings. I installed these in the Monster and love them. They supposed allow you to stretch out the valve check interval to 18k, but I still check every 6k. Doesn't hurt. They work great though. New belts too, of course. And finally going to get down and implement the wiring upgrades and put jslocum's awesome "how to tune your weber" write-up to task. Unless I can find a decent set of Mikuni's in the meantime, but still - with a couple Webers in the garage, this is a mod I can do mostly from my living room. :thumbup: Wish I could do everything else from the living room too, but that would probably mean I'd have to sleep in the garage.

So, after another great summer turning mile after mile (not that I saw it on the odometer - having busted speedo cable #3 while down at Mid-Ohio) it is with some tightening of the chest that pull the key out of old Blue for the last time this year. But I'm really looking forward to next riding season, with a fresh set of internals and a new pair of sneakers to scrub in. At least I can wax the bodywork in the house over winter, too ...

Who else has winter projects and whatcha doin'?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Don't put her away completely. Buy a heated vest and some good winter gloves! I live in NY too and get at least one ride in a month for an hour or to. The looks that you get when you pull up to grab a hot chocolate are worth the effort. Last year I rode on one Sunday when it was 13*F and I stayed out for an hour. After a realllly long week it was the PERFECT therapy to clear my mind.

I have Widder heated gear but there are others.
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Re: Going into hibernation ... :(

Post by DesmoDog »

fasterdammit wrote:...Who else has winter projects and whatcha doin'?
Due to lack of space in my garage, and the 907 needing some attention, I put it away weeks ago. This fall/winter I'm trying to finish up my '74 750 GT project so it's ready for spring. And then put a new top triple on my 996, along with the typical maintenance it will need. And then give the 907 the TLC it deserves... To top it off I'm currently trying to buy my next project bike - but I'm having a hard time getting people to take my money! It seems when push comes to shove people are hesitant to let go of these old bikes, even if they have been neglected for the past 20 years or so. :mad:

Here's something of a "teaser" pic of the '74. I recently finished painting it, which was a big step forward for the project. More info on it if you click on the link in my sig. Or you can click on these links for a few before/during photos:
http://www.teamyikes.com/recappage1.html
http://www.teamyikes.com/recappage2.html

-Craig
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

jcslocum wrote:Don't put her away completely. Buy a heated vest and some good winter gloves! I live in NY too and get at least one ride in a month for an hour or to. The looks that you get when you pull up to grab a hot chocolate are worth the effort. Last year I rode on one Sunday when it was 13*F and I stayed out for an hour. After a realllly long week it was the PERFECT therapy to clear my mind.
Well, with the tires on there, I'm even less inclined to take her out when it's not dry - that's the real reason. I managed to time it all just right - using up the tires just about the time I need to do a bunch of other stuff. ;) But I don't want to risk slipping around if I don't have to ...

However - that doesn't mean the Monster won't get some play time. I like to try & get out once a month too ... although without heated gear, I usually come back like a popsicle. (That's what peppermint schnapps in the hot chocolate is for! :D ) This is also my main reason for saying every cyclist needs at least two bikes! ;) Something to ride while something else is getting some maintenance. 2 minimum ... then you can get into the "well, I need a sport bike, a dual-sport, a nice touring bike, a track-only weapon, and maybe a cruiser for real lazy days ... "
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Re: Going into hibernation ... :(

Post by DesmoDog »

DesmoDog wrote:... To top it off I'm currently trying to buy my next project bike - but I'm having a hard time getting people to take my money!
It seems I spoke too soon. I'm supposed to go check out a potential project this Saturday. If it's what I'm expecting, I should be coming home with it. :thumbup: Now to finish my '74...
-Craig
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

I have a small winter project this year... I'm moving. 600 miles north. Into a house with a shop. Not too much going on I guess :laugh:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Good luck, Mike. I hope it goes well.

That 'Pit Lane Lovelies' pic of yours in 'Apex' is often in my mind. I put my first pic, a seascape, onto photo.net the other day, and got two good comments!
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

mike wrote:I have a small winter project this year... I'm moving. 600 miles north. Into a house with a shop. Not too much going on I guess :laugh:
Mike - where ya heading to? New job too? (that's a helluva commute ... )

oooh, house w/ a shop ... jealous ... :D
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
beemerboy
year: 0

Post by beemerboy »

This is probably a bad time to mention that you can ride year around in Colorado. As I look at my office window at Cheyenne Mountain (home of NORAD) it's sunny with a slight breeze and temps in the high 40's. Oh, and the humidity is about 20%.

It sucks to live here. :neener:

On the other hand I AM writing this from my desk which means I'm NOT riding. :rant:
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I think I need to find an Elefant with knobbies for our winter months here in the snow belt ... :thumbup:
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

yelp, 2-day was the first i've driven to work since the middle of may. yesterday, when i got off work the windshield was covered in ice. it really wasn't a bad ride home,was all geared up and actually quite comfy. was riding along thinking about the forcast for flurries and thought ha, the weatherpeople don't know much. just then i noticed flurries. the low was expected to be 22 degrees f and going in at 3 a.m. i was worried about ice on the roads so drove the cage ( heated seats were nice tho!). low 2-nite in the teens but it's expected to be warmer this weekend so hope to ride sat and sun and as long as the weather isn't too miserable. don't have lay-away insurance so am planning to ride when i can. the davidson hasn't been washed since feb and the fuel injection seems to make cold weather riding rather effortless.
did i mention i got a '06 h-d ultra 2 weeks ago? a buddy said he never thought he'd see me on a bike with "tunes". it's got all the bells and whistles std, only option i got were heated grips. did get caught in some rain last week and it's dirty now too but haven't ridden it to work in nasty weather yet,even tho that's one reason i got it. i'm thankful for good credit and 80 hr work weeks. also hoping for a mild winter.