Saddle Sore 1000

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Saddle Sore 1000

Post by jcslocum »

This past summer I completed my first Iron Butt ride and it has just been certified! 1000 miles in under 24 hours. We did it in 18. I did this ride with 2 other Ducati riders and here is the info from the IBA site:

Jonathan Slocum - LaGrangeville, NY - 06/25/05 - Ducati 748 - miles 1,014
Edward J. Yun - Bayside, NY - 06/25/05 -Ducati 900SS/FE -miles 1,100

Of the THOUSANDS of riders that have done IBA rides, only 82 have done it on a Duc.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Well done, Jon! Congratulations. The best I've done is 500 miles in around 8 hours. That was on my little GB400 single - a late-80's Brit cafe racer style Honda - probably not many of them in the US, but quite common here in NZ. Not much of a seat, and my bum has never been so sore. The same trip on the Paso I've always done over two days, because the riding has been so pleasant.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Jon, you're a nut! 1k+ on a 748 in 18 hours :eek: ... DAMN! Congrats! :thumbup: :cool: That rocks. :) What route did you go to rack up 1k in 18 hours?

I just did the math ... 1014 miles in 18 hours is an average speed 56.3 mph, meaning no fuel or rest stops ... hm, you may have been slightly north of the posted limit from time to time, eh? ;)

Well, duh, on a 748, how could you not be? :D

Congrats again!
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

The route was from the Newburgh, NY area up to Albany, over to Buffalo, down thru Erie to the Ohio Border and back. I chose this route so that we could spend the most time on the interstate and have regular gas/rest stops. The New York State Thruway is also a speeders highway and we were never (well only once or twice) the vehicle running the top speed.

Moving time for the 1K was 13.5 hours which averages to about 74MPH for the distance. The 748 also averaged 49 MPG, which isn't bad considering our speeds. Top Speed was 132 during a roll on drag race coming out of a rest stop between the 3 bikes. Ed's 900 (944 worked motor) amd Joe's ST4S. That speed was captured by the GPS not the wildly optimistic/inaccurate speedo. Ed's bike was the winner :-(

If you have ever thought about some of this long distace stuff check out the Iron Butt web site. It's not that hard to do and the preperation as well as planning can be fun when done with a few other riders. The ride itself isn't all that bad and you learn a few things about yourself and your bike while you're at it.

I have a few freinds that want to do the 1000 next year so the Paso might get the nod for that one.

Next up is the Bun Burner Gold, 1500 Miiles in 24.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:eek:

Hell's Bells! 1500 miles in 24 hours! I've never heard of that before!
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Skins,

That's nothing compared to some of the real Long Distance rides. Check them out here: http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

I'd like to try this ride one day: http://tinyurl.com/b3wwe

Check out Rachel's ride: http://tinyurl.com/bkbp6
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Reading that Iron Butt list of rides, I thought, 'Some of this stuff is is just day dreaming - who could ride 10000 miles in 10 days'. After I read Rachel's Ride, I'm just stunned. Stunned and educated. What an amazing place this world is, and what amazing people are in it.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

oooh, Albany to Buffalo ... zzzz ... whatta snooze. Although you're spot-on about Johnny Law. They can be fussy between Little Falls and Westmoreland, and especially out by Rochester, but otherwise it's a good stretch to travel north of the posted limit. When Domenica & I came back from Nova Scotia last month we kept the speedo at no less than 85 from the minute we passed into NY to our exit.

But that is one long boring stretch. :( The Montezuma Game Refuge just west of Syracuse (in the middle of the longest stretch w/ no exit) is terrible with bugs in the summer - you probably didn't run into that though. I mean, just gross.

But man, that's a long time in the saddle of a 748. Do you have a Sargent or similar aftermarket?

I've thought about doing an Iron Butt ... and I'd prefer to use the Paso, especially since converting the Monster to more café ergos. Jon - if you're serious about taking the Paso for the 1k, let me know. I think that would be a blast to see two old Pasos make the run together. And I don't know about yours, but mine seems happiest north of 70mph ... :D

Keep it in mind; that would be pretty cool. And of course, if anytime you're in or even just passing through Syracuse, let me know.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

The 748 has a sergeant seat on it but I find the bike quite comfy for all kinds of riding.

For a route, acomplishing the goal was paramount so a real snoozer of a road was just what we needed. It's and ugly ride no doubt about it, but it has regular gas stops. We needed to stop every 120 miles for Joe's ST4s to fuel up. I can go 196 on mine before I get nervous. Keeping the pace and riding with/thru traffic keeps you very alert.

I'd love to do an Iron Butt with any other Paso rider. Don't know how we would work it out being so far apart. Something to work on!

Skins, how about you find another Paso rider down under to do this with and we can do it on the same day simultaniously? (spelling screw up for sure!)
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Jon, maybe we can do a full loop; you and a handful of buds make your way up to Syracuse and meet up with us. Grab a quick bite, whatever, and we're all off. The two groups continue traveling until you guys hit 1k - which is hopefully back in your hometown - and then we break off and head home to finish up our 1000. That could work ... or else if it's just a pair of Pasos, I'll drag mine down your way and we go from there or something.

That would be *very* cool if there was another pair of Pasos, on another continent, performing the same feat. hint hint, Skins ... ;)
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Hmm ... we have a club here in NZ called The Ulysses Club, whose moto is 'Grow old disgracefully' (one has to be over 50 I believe, which counts me in) and I believe they have a 1000 miles in 24 hours gig every year. Unless I'm mistaken, they make a route which includes a bit of everything (like some dirt even) just to be different.

Until recently I would not have even slightly considered this sort of thing, but something amazing has happened. For fifteen years I was a chronic severe migraine sufferer - at least one attack every week. Sometimes they lasted five days. But now I have not had an attack for three weeks. After fifteen years of that, I actually feel kind of born again. I'm usually an unsociable bugger, but I feel like having a party! I can't believe what a jolly fellow I am! I've stopped taking the medication. I think I feel better than I did before I started getting the migraines.

So. I really can't think about anything other than getting my business up and running again right now, but after that, you never know ... There is a trip I could do anyway, up to Auckland and back. That's over 900 miles. I could go up, visit a couple of mates, sleep for a couple of hours, and come back.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Hey Skins,

wouldn't 1000 miles be a couple of laps of the Enzed North Island? :D It could be a goer here in Oz I reckon. I have done a few runs like this on my BMW (necessity not challenge) but would be very keen to try it on "the Mistress"

That is great news about your migrane's - worth celebrating :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Wellington to Auckland and back is very close to 1000 miles, Red - a short detour would make the total easily.

Yeah, after fifteen years and suddenly no migraines is really amazing. I feel like a new man! Anyone know where I can get one? Nah, just kidding - straight as a die, I am!
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

ya got a way to get a chuckle out of melody and i there skins. we're so happy for you and your new outlook on things. keep up the good health.
keep it up,ya, that reminds me of a guy i used to work with. i would be teasing him about something and he would say "keep it up kramer" and i would tell him "that's what my wife says"!!!!!
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Too true, wiggs. Only trouble is, I have so much energy now, I can't sleep! I reckon what I need is lots of sex. I'm going to see the nice receptionist at the doctors this afternoon about it.