paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Arthur's Seat

Post by fasterdammit »

I understand this:
is a common occurence on Arthur's Seat.

Can one of our brothers down under elucidate and educate the rest of us? :D
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

You may be referring to Arthur's Pass, faster, which is in the South Island of NZ, crossing the Southern Alps, which run down the West Coast. However, I think that pic is from Aussie, 'cause the cop car is a Holden (which is an Australian General Motors make) and our cops in NZ have Fords. The plate also looks Aussie.

I've never ridden in the South Island, but most of my mates have, and they reckon it's magic - good roads, little traffic, and very scenic. Lots of Ducs down there, especially in Christcurch, the main city, which is on the east coast - supposed to be the most 'English' city in the Southern Hemisphere (they have a bluddy good rugby team, but don't seem to produce all that many good cricketers, apart from Sir Richard Hadlee, who was a wonderful fast bowler - he could run at almost full pace, then twist sideways, swing his fully-extended arm over, and fling that 3-inch sphere of hard-packed leather at 90 MPH so it hit the dirt three feet in front of you and you would have no idea where it would go next, but probably through your legs to wreck your stumps)
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

There's a bunch more pictures and a whole bunch of videos (and DVDs) at their site here - wihch is mainly about two guys and their 996 and MV Agusta F4 750. They mentioned Arthur's Seat - and there's a funny clip on there that immediately precedes the picture I linked to above. Classic. :laugh:
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Hmm ... Arthur's Seat must be a place in Oz. I'll enjoy checking out the link, faster.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Yes that is Australia, the Southern State of Victoria to be precise. It is a Police state as far as the roads go. They have Speed Cameras set up everywhere & will write you a ticket for being 3 Kilometres over the limit.

I can't remember if this road is part of the "Great Ocean road" or if it is along the east coast perhaps fellow Aussie (& Victorian) RFDS can pinpoint the location a bit more accurately.

As for the Highway Patrol car in the picture it is a Holden Commodore SS pretty much standard Police issue these days. 6 litre V8, 18" alloy rims, sports suspension & full body kit. They hold the road & accellerate like a car should not be able to do so you would need to be a good (& brave) rider to attempt to out run it & it probably carries on board video anyway so they just get you later.

I don't think I have ridden in Victoria (apart from the occassional trip to Phillip Island) since they made radar detectors illegal in OZ. :mad:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Hey faster that web site you linked to here is fantastic. some great Videos to Download. I have watched them a few times to keep me sane in the last few days. I think 1 or 2 of their DVD's might just make it on to my Santa list for this xmas. Excellant find & thanks for sharing it :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Hey red - I thought so too. I've started to keep an eye for small, private film makers like this. I think I may order up a copy or two as well.

If you're into that sort of thing, here's the rest of my collection (I think):

One Man's Island - a personal account of a Canadian who sold everything, moved to the Isle of Man, and raced the TT. Great scenery, interesting story, even if he's not a first place finsher.

Of course, Faster - a great in-depth look at the 20023/2003 MotoGP season

I recently bought volume 3 of Lines - which has some awesome footage of the American Northwest - shot mostly in Oregon. I think the other volumes are in Washington state & Oregon as well. Having driven out there in a car, I can vouch - there's some beautiful roads and great scenery. Watching these guys wick it up on two wheels (volume three is spent on a 998) makes me pine for the other coast ...

And On Any Sunday - a must for any motorcyclist's DVD collection; doesn't matter what you ride. :)

It's stuff like this - and MotoGP on Xbox - that helps stave off cabin fever during the winter months ...
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
RideFlyDiveSail

Post by RideFlyDiveSail »

Well, yeah Arthurs Seat is actually the name of a small mountain/large hill an hour to the South-Southeast of Melbourne on the Mornington Peninsula. The road up to the top from the freeway to the west is a very well made and fairly windy drive for about 3 km. So you don't really get that much time to enjoy it, but it is good while it lasts. From the top the road heads south to Flinders and that is a less well maintained but much faster stretch with some nice sweepers that sometimes is home to the odd speed trap. I would think that those guys were pretty dopey to get pulled up speeding there since it is a notorious stretch given that it is the only windy patch of road for miles around.