Off season projects?

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Off season projects?

Post by fasterdammit »

In the NE US here, winter is rapidly approaching. We've had heavy rains for a month plus, and temperatures are dipping into the 40ºF range more frequently. I was treated to an excellent weather weekend last weekend, and a buddy & I made the most of it with a good tear - but those 'gimmes' are becoming scarce. The bikes will 'up' by Christmas, and probably remain so until April at the earliest, more likely May - once the rains have washed away the salt & silt that likes to mucky up our corners. It stinks, but it does give us time to get our knuckles busted without missing any riding time.

So, who else is similarly afflicted, and whatcha got planned? I'll go first ...

The Monster: early spring I plan to send the forks off to Traxxion Dynamics or WP for either stage one or two upgrade - sprung appropriately to my weight & riding style, at the minimum. Possibly revalved, we'll see how saucy I feel at the time. Also considering sending my headers off to JetHot for a ceramic coating. Not so much for performance reasons (although a slight added benefit) but mainly to clean them up and hopefully extend the life of the metal. With 37k on them, they're looking the part and I'd like the exhaust to last. While the forks are off, I need to try & re-route my throttle cables, too. I also have a crankcase breather to be installed. And cosmetically, I'd like to have the tank touched-up and a couple coats of clear shot onto it ...

As for the Paso, it's valve service time, and I'm going to use MBP's collets to replace the half-rings. I'd also like to implement the wiring upgrades everybody raves about but that's after I get jfiore's excellent Weber carb upgrades done. The new battery this season has been great, so I'm not concerned with the electricals, but I'd still like to improve upon what's there. But my current carb jetting has gotta go. Cosmetically I'd like to replace all the wellnuts :P, as I lost the first one this season. :( Oh yes, and speedo cable #4 needs to be installed ...

What's everybody doing in their downtime? Doesn't have to be limited to your Paso, all you multi-bike owners ...
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
KillerB
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

I hear you faster, it's getting cold here to. I rode the Paso to work this morning in 30F temperature. Not too bad as I don't have far to go.

Nothing major on the 907 this winter, apart from regular maintenance I'm going to replace sprockets and chain and put new tires on it. I'm still looking for a 40T rear sprocket. When I get everything off I'll look at the drive bushings. I have a new set, but I don't know if they need replacing yet.

My other project is a 1973 Suzuki TC125 that runs great but needs some TLC. Carb overhaul, chain, sprockets, tires, rewiring, body panel work, etc. It will give me something to do in the garage in the dead of winter.

Regards, B
DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog »

Top on my project list is finishing my long term 750 GT rebuild. It's getting there, slowly.

More info at:
http://www.teamyikes.com/RoundcaseHome.html

After that there is the 250 I recently got from fellow member Wiggs. (Thanks again!):

I've wanted single cylinder Duc for some time and am looking forward to playing around with this one. I swore I wouldn't work on it until the 750 was done, but it seems I've already ordered a part or two for it. D'oh!

And then there's the 160 Monza Jr. that was next to the 250. It's not nice to break up a set, so I brought that home too. The plans for Jr. are a little less clear - not sure what I'll do with it. Though I did buy a new (not square) tank for it already! (these are the pics Mike sent me of the bikes before I went to look at them btw...)

Along with those, I need to do rather extensive maintenance on the 907 since it's been sitting neglected for so long. And also give the 996 a little TLC so it can be ready to run once spring rolls around.

But before ANY of this, I need to set up my "shop". Last weekend I went back to Minnesota to retrieve some of the shop tools my dad had. Now I have a drill press and a lathe in pieces on my floor, awaiting reassembly in their new home. This will require a total re-do of everything I have set up right now since there isn't all that much room. My "put it there for now" approach to shop decor just won't cut it anymore!

I figure I'll get about 25% of everything done before it's riding season again... things always take longer than I think they will, and the toy fund seems to get depleted faster than I imagine.
-Craig
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Down south here in Oz we don't have an off season so we just keep on riding. It is starting to get bloody hot though. As for Projects, the Paso is up for new belts, chain/sprockets etc but is running so well I am not touching anything that does not need to be tampered with. Hopefully the '74 Statesman that I was to have totally restored & on Historic Club plates by now will get some attention that will see this project move ahead. keeping an eye out for an old bike project but am a bit limited for shed space to go pulling things apart unless I am putting them straight back together. :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Rub it in, Red, rub it in ... :umm: :laugh:
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Paul
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

DesmoDog,

I really like your 750. You're doing a great job.

I have to re-iterate Red's comments. What "off season" ?

My only problem is that my bike is in storage for the summer (which is just starting now) as we are renting a smaller house (read smaller garage) while we are building. But as we don't have an "off season" I'm looking forward to being able to ride again in March. Although I might just get her out of storage for a wash and a ride in a couple of week's time... :evil:

Paul
DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog »

DesmoDog wrote:Top on my project list is finishing my long term 750 GT rebuild. It's getting there, slowly.

Getting even closer now. This was taken a couple days ago, still in a "mock up" stage so changes will be made, but you get the idea...

Next up will likely be the Monza Jr. I mentioned earlier - I've got the jones to build something along the lines of a 125 Sport... parts are being gathered as we speak!
-Craig
DuC-MaN
year: 1992

Post by DuC-MaN »

DesmoDog wrote:
DesmoDog wrote:Top on my project list is finishing my long term 750 GT rebuild. It's getting there, slowly.

Getting even closer now. This was taken a couple days ago, still in a "mock up" stage so changes will be made, but you get the idea...

Next up will likely be the Monza Jr. I mentioned earlier - I've got the jones to build something along the lines of a 125 Sport... parts are being gathered as we speak!
very nice!
| '92 907 I.E. | '88 750 Paso under construction |
DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog »

DuC-MaN wrote:very nice!
Thanks... that project seems to have stalled as I wait for the final few parts. The plan had been to fire it up this weekend, but the weather was horrible (ice everywhere) so I didn't bother taking it outside. Maybe next weekend...

In the meantime work has begun on the '66 Monza Jr. I still need a tank, toolboxes & tailsection, but it's starting to look a bit more like I want:

Obviously it's till being mocked up... I'm now rebuilding the wheels with 17" rims, then I can fit the fenders, then the tail/toolboxes, and hopefully by then I'll have found a 125 Sport tank...
-Craig