Synchronicity

creative words or images - your own or by others - that express for you the feeling of motorcycling
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Synchronicity

Post by fasterdammit »

It wasn't ideal, in the sense that every single aspect was perfect - but it was close. If I could've turned the humidity down a notch or two, then it would have been ideal. But I was happy to take the humidity for everything else that came along with it. "It" was simply my morning ride - spoiled first by having a destination, and spoiled again by actually having the burden of responsibility to arrive there. Of course, not having a destination would have made it perfect regardless of climate.

Perhaps it is the end of such a ride that completes it. Had it gone longer, would I have diluted the enjoyment I received in the time that I did? Spoiled further, perhaps by morning commuters, already intent on cell phone conversations and morning papers (passed by one of those, driving + reading), or some other road hazard, be it natural or man-made? I don't mind that those questions are unanswered: I started my day with some quality time on two wheels, and managed not to tarnish the time spent.

It was one of those rides where everything is perfectly timed. I managed to skate through the dozen or so lights as I approached my favorite traffic circle. I wound up at the beginning of the line at the first red, plenty of time to make space between myself and the crowd behind me. At the roundabout , instead of rushing in and eeking my way into the first space that would accommodate a motorcycle, I waited for the right minute - a decision which paid dividends in an unhindered and expeditious trip through the circle. Somehow, I found the right entrance to every arc, followed the right apex, and exited each curve well under way - view and path unobstructed.

It was in that first pass through the loop that I began to recognize how well everything was working together. The bike was running more than "just right": its responses seemed quicker, leaning into the curves felt more intuitive, intimate, sympatico. It's almost a shame that the end result meant faster going, and therefore it was all over that much sooner. Unabated, I tore through the next roundabout at a similar pace, with the winds of kismet holding traffic aside and ushering me along. A mile out from the second roundabout, I had to verify it. I swung around in the street and went back to do it all over again, only in reverse - but with similar results. Now, even further from my destination, and pointing in the completely wrong direction I continued forth - in the direction of more curves.

Around each turn and through each section of roadway, I challenged time and the environment to tell me it wasn't true, to tell me it was fluke or a figment of my imagination - but it was not to be. As I tried to deny it, it continued to confirm it. Some spirit guide cleared lanes before me, tripped lights, nudged traffic aside and made me feel as though my bike & I were the only two on the road.

The only one on the road.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Synchronized in the city, eh, faster? Sure makes you think ..

I must admit, I really enjoy urban riding also
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

"urban riding" ??? Ok, easy to turn on all car alarms driving close to parked cars with open exhausts, but Ducatis are made for FAST DRIVING in TWISTY ROADS! .... ok, i accept urban driving, if cute girls are there... :laugh:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Don't take "urban" to mean gridlock - I'm not in the country by any means, but I have access to some great twisties just a couple miles from my house. And of course, the further out you go, the better they get.

But there are two great big traffic circles near me, about a mile apart, which serve as my private skidpad when I'm feeling especially fiesty. On two wheels or four; I'd al;most swear they were designed by someone with racing in mind - or at least a motorcyclist. ;)

But as I get closer to work, it does turn into a grid, for sure - I'm one block off the Syracuse University campus. So you can imagine the scenery, eh? And that Ducati exhaust Certain has its way of setting off alarms and turning heads ... :evil:
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
delagem

Post by delagem »

Traffic circles, eh? I'll never forget my first one, on Rte 38 right next to the park at the head of Owasco Lake, just south of Auburn, NY. First time ever dragging a knee, but only the left one! I'd always meant to go back and run the other way, maybe at 5am or some other time when traffic might allow it... Probably not the best idea, in retrospect.
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
Paul
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

Michael,

Come to South Africa. We drive on the left hand side of the road so you can get your right knee down.

Paul
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Do they drive ALSO in south Africa(not only in U.K.) in WRONG side of the road :confused: :laugh: :funny:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Paul
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

Antti,

Right side, wrong side, who cares. All year round...

Paul