What is it about Paso owners?

creative words or images - your own or by others - that express for you the feeling of motorcycling
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

What is it about Paso owners?

Post by fasterdammit »

Besides being Paso owners, that is? Why do we 'get it' and other don't? And what other things fall into that category - meaning what other windmills do we collectively like to tilt at? I bring it up because of wiggs' recent MG comment (being an ex-MG owner myself), and my discussion with Duck01 regarding old Land Cruisers. Besides my father, there aren't a lot of MG owners that I dealt with; even fewer besides those in the internet communities have this same soft spot for old Land Cruisers. And certainly none of my peers in the immiediate vicinity. They all thought I was nuts - first for buying the Land Cruiser, then the MG - even the Paso. And as much as they like the Paso, even the motorcyclists wouldn't own one.

So ... what is it? I'm O-neg, is that it? :neener:
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Hey Faster - can'nt explain it myself - all I know, is that it is great to see in other people too - maybe I'm not such a 'nut' afterall (although you'd probably find others that would happily debate that point........... :roll: :roll: )
The vehicles/bikes that I own - I am passionate about - usually they are something a 'little bit differant' from mosta the other stuff around, which has its pros & cons..............
My ute - theres heaps of them around in NZ of the same model - just none as modified as mine..............
Paso - is the only one painted like it here............
Landcruiser - stands out a bit..........

Which is all fine & good, but ya can'nt do anything too dodgey, or it comes straight back at ya............ :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :evil: :evil: :roll:

But being a Paso owner - I'm always a 'good boy' anyway...... :roll: :thumbup: :neener: :screwy: :umm:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:confused:

I was trying to figure out what you guys were on about. And then it hit me.

Tell you what, being 'a bit different' in the way you guys are talking about is nothing compared to being an artist! Hell, you want to try being an artist! It's murder! That's one of the reasons why these days I am mostly a jewellery-maker - it's a hell of a lot easier, because it's more 'normal'.

PS: I hope you don't think I'm making light of the issue. I guess it's just that working in a slightly 'different' occupation - and in fact feeling slightly 'different' for my whole life in having this particular 'interest' if you can call it that, prepared me for Paso ownership.
But it sure is worth it, isn't it?
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Sure is Skins :thumbup: :thumbup: & some are even 'more different' than others.... :screwy: :screwy: :umm: But we won't mention any names because, being just a poor-dumb-quiet-shy-country boy - I embarrass easily........... :neener: :neener: :roll:
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Skins - I don't take that lightly at all, I know where you're coming and agree: not only does it 'prepare' us for Paso ownership - it might even preclude it? - but it is most definitely worth it. *I* certainly wouldn't have it any other way!
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

I think that you have to be different to really appreciate the Paso. People say they buy Ducati because they are different to all other bikes & then the Paso is the most different Ducati there has ever been, not even die hard Ducati nuts like our Babies! or is it that they just do not "get"Them. I grew up in a little country town where I was always so different that I could not wait to get out. Not even my own family came close to understanding me. :screwy:

I have lived my life just outside the square & any real effort to conform has seen me exposed as a fraud. The Paso then is the logical choice for me. The pinaccle of "Different".

I think we were born to be Paso owners & the Paso was created just for us, THe very select few that actually "Get it"! what ever that "it" is. we tend to be ahead of our time & always a little to the left of normal. I think Ducati saw that & designed the Paso just for us! :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Geez Red - did ya take a hand-full of 'serious pills' this morning or something :umm:
BUT - you are dead right, & you've summed it up nicely!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I remember seeing photos & tests on Paso's when they first came out, when I had just started working, & thinking 'what a beautifull bike'...........then Honda sorta copied the enclosed bodywork with the CBR range, but they were still missing something.......

Bit like the Honda Firestorm - nice bike - goes well - fun to ride - sounds great with the right pipes - but is still character-less, & at the end of the day - has no soul, & is just a Japanese bike with a V-twin motor....... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Yeah Duck mate, I think it was just return to work blues yesterday, you go away for a week & then have to do a fortnight overtime to catch up again :mad: Why is it no matter how much time we take off work we always wish we had taken a few more days :sad:

I do agree with you that I am right about the Paso though :D I too remember their first release & thinking WOW what a beautiful bike :lick: I am a big fan of the traditional Ducati because it shows all that it has (think original 900ss etc). But I fell in love with the paso because it is a lady filled with mystery & intrigue. Ihave even considered removing all badges so that no one actually knows what it is unless they know the Paso or ask me, which I like because I can talk about my Old Girl for hours.

I owned a Suzuki GSX600F when thay first came out in the late 80's. It was Suzuki's go at a fully enclosed Paso style. It was a beautiful bike, nice on the eye, fun to flick through the Old roads & had a good throaty roar. It was never really appreciated by Sport bike riders as it was one of the first of the Jap 600 revival. But it lacked the Soul of an Italian & I sold it when i bought my BMW.

The Paso stands alone in Bike & even Ducati circles. I have been snubbed by other Ducati owners (not many but it has happened) as they do not feel the Paso is a real Ducati because it directly challenged teh Japanese market. It does not have a trellis frame (frame is actually based on a FJ1200 Yamaha) & was among the early belt drive bikes.

Jeez I am getting seriouos again sorry............Did you hear the one about the Paso owner that wanted to quickly top up his oil? :laugh:
Redpaso
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Red - that must be a bit like the one 'Hear about the Paso owner that wanted to do something other than fill the girl with fuel......' - my fairings have been off & on that many times, that I wish it had wing-nuts holding then on........ :roll: :roll:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

yeah, I have seriously though tabout holding it all in place with red Airframe tape. It is a pain in the arse :mad: but that is what we love about her :thumbup:
Redpaso
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Red - I brought mine after a life of big-bore trail bikes - KLR 600s, XT 600- TT600 etc etc & ATVs - (not supposed to be riding bikes at all, according to a Dr 20yrs ago, due to having a buggered right arm.) Got too hard to hold onto the trailies at speed on the road, so brought the Paso, in the hope that the fairing would make a differance. It does, & although the arm still plays up after a ride - just love my bike, & it creates a fee grins mate, which we all need sometimes!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Never owned a trail bike my self, I have ridden a few & love what they do I just never got hooked the way a road bike sucked me in. Mind you I was sucked in by a VT250 Honda - first bike :ugh: ( I guess that is where my affection for V-Twins started :roll: ) but I was well & truelly hooked before that. I grew up in a biking family. My brother used to take me up to Surfers paradice raceway on the back of his BMW R100RS. :cool:

I too should not be riding due to an altercation with a Ute on that same VT. I have had 7 operations on it in the last 17 years. She's rooted but I can live with it. I don't have a permenant limp but i wont do any marathons. I once rode my K100RS 500km to Bathurst for Brockies last race & due to the pain had to leave my leg hanging just above the road for about 300 km of the trip there & all the trip home. Surgery soon after that. :sad:

The things we do for our passion :screwy:
Redpaso
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

I reckon 'ride for as long as ya can' - helps feed the soul, & makes ya feel alive. :thumbup: :thumbup:
At the end of the day, you're only here once, & you're a long time dead..................
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

Amen to that brother :thumbup:

Unless of course you believe in re-incarnation, which always gets me because it appears that everyone was either Cleopatra or Napoleon in a past life.(THey must have had multiple personality disorder because there was a lot of them. :screwy: I have yet to come across somebody that has said they were a peasant who lived in a bog & died of the plague @ 16 :umm: maybe they did not get another go at it. :confused:
Redpaso
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

If theres such a thing - then hey - I was the peasent last time round.
Actually - are this time too.................