A peculiarity

creative words or images - your own or by others - that express for you the feeling of motorcycling
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

A peculiarity

Post by fasterdammit »

Odd:

I live about 5 miles east of work. When I take the cage, it only takes about 10 minutes to go those westerly five miles. 10 minutes for five miles in the morning, 10 more minutes for five more miles at quitting time. I usually dawdle around in the morning, read some over breakfast, plod about the house and shuffle out to the truck. There is no excitement, not much of anything really - just a couple miles to work.

However, I've noticed that when the weather is inclined to two wheels, I find myself scarfing an itty bitty breakfast, rushing about, and heading out to the garage a good 30 minutes earlier than usual. I go through my 'pre-flight' checks then regale the neighborhood with my 748cc symphony of desmodromica. I finish gearing up as Blue shakes off the night's chill, and we're off.

In the other direction.

And strangely, I arrive at work a good 20 minutes later than I would if I had taken the cage. And instead of a 5 mile trip, I seem to have done anywhere from 20 to 40 miles.

At quitting time, a similar experience occurs, albeit even more exaggerated. I'll leave the office about the same time usual (Ok, maybe a little earlier than usual ... it's hard to contain myself while Blue patiently awaits my return in the garage) - but I don't seem to arrive home any earlier. Quite the contrary. On two wheels, the five mile return trip at 5pm seems to take anywhere from 30 to 100 miles, and I occasionally find myself returning to stern looks and tapping feet after dinner's gone cold.

Hm. Something to contemplate; I should retreat to where I do some of my best contemplating ... in Blue's saddle, on the back roads ... far from my office.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Makes me grin just reading it Faster..... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Well done, faster! Good work for 'Apex'!
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Hey faster, I am right there in your shoes my friend. :D
My normal commute is about 15km & I take the trusty 4WD for convienience (ussually dropping kiddies to School on the way) but on fridays I operate from another office that is 30Km from home. Well I could drive to work & take a company vehicle but I much prefer to take my files home on thursday so that come friday morning I am up & ready to roll on "the Old Girl"half an hour before normal. Somedays I even wash her down if I have left the cover off & she is dusty.
Much like yourself I find the 30km trip spreads out to over 100km each way. I reckon I could go further but time (not that my clock works remember) & work do get in the way. I am aiming to get a visit in to the bike museum on the way one day soon. It certianly makes for a better day at work although I spend all day looking out the window thinking of the ride home. (Still listening to the woes of my clients mind you). Much like yourself I often return to stern faces from my complimentary half. :mad: Come to shink of it she is never really happy with me as I ride off with a big smile in the morning. She hates to see me ride off with her seat empty :sad:
The good side is that she insistes I take her for a ride on "my mistress" over the weekend :cool:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"