discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

ansim
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Paso 750 MegaSquirt

Post by ansim »

This seasons project!

I wanted to see if I could get better fuel economy/throttle response and decided to change the carbs to a fuel injection system.

A colleague at work has built a car from scratch with MegaSquirt EFI. That sounded like a nice challange. After checkin the http://www.megasquirt.info/ I bought a kit and assembled it. There were a couple of other things to investigate in also, like throttle bodies (got a set from a ST2, thanks Jon!!), sensors, fuel stuff, etc...

Before I removed the carbs, I got the Paso on a dynorun. It has a big dip in the low-midrange. Hopefully the injection system can eliminate this a little. The engine needs a big service also. But the service have to wait a while.

The assembly of the box went fine. It is possible to control both ignition and fuel with the MegaSquirt. It is recommended to start with fuel only, which I did. The ignition part is a future project.

Put the throttle bodies to the Paso engine was much more difficult. I got the inlets together with the throttle bodie, but it was NOT bolt on. Same distance for the bolts though, luckily. After modification/new inlet rubber I got the bodies to fit the engine.

Next problem: Where shall I put the EFI box? It shall be a place where it is quite good protected from water, so somehow I had the get it under the saddle. Move all old electric stuff to the sides and put the EFIbox there instead. The box is well protected under the saddle.

At late spring time everything was in place and it was time to start the engine.
No success, stone dead!! check the EFIbox: ignition, injection trigger etc.. was ok.
Fuel? Not ok I guessed. I thought the Pasu fuelpump was enough. It was not strong enough. Search for a fuelpump started and some weeks passed. Found one close from a 996. Problem, it is internal. I needed an external. A local mechanicshop made me an adaptor, two actually. One for the pump and one for the fuel pressure regulator.

Connected the pump and pressure regulator. Still it wouldn't start. What now can I change? The software? Yes, the initial settings for start and warmup. Very frustrating work started, but at the end I got it to start. :D

Idles well at 10-1100 rpm now. Little tricky to start though.

But it did not run well, way too much fuel. It missfired a lot in a 10km run, stalled twice. But I got home.

After leaning the fuel map with 25%!! all over the engine runs good enough to be accepted.

Today I went for a 30km ride without stalls. A few missfires is acceptable. Minor problems that can be fixed.

Now the finalizing mapping starts with O2/lambda sensor logging.

I'm back on road again.

Some pictures @ http://alltomingenting.no-ip.info/galle ... Name=ducce

//Anders
davidhughrose

Post by davidhughrose »

Anders - GREAT article! Keep tinkering until it's perfect and keep us posted! When it's all said/done, how about posting an article in the tech section here on the A-Z process?
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Anders, This is now very intresting job, what You are doing... :thumbup: I planned to add fuel injection(from 907IE) to my 750 Paso, but not yet time to do any modifications, so i am interested, how Your work is going on.... :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
ansim

Post by ansim »

yess,

I'm working on a better description/story.

//Anders
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Desmo_Demon »

Interesting project. I hope you iron it out so it runs like a Champ!

I've often thought about taking a newer SS750/800 or SS900/1000 FI engine and wiring harness and slap it into a Paso 750. Maybe that can be my next Paso project......if I ever get the title to one of the two spare frames that I have. :rant:
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
ansim

Post by ansim »

Now it runs rich on cruising and lean when i twist the throttle, so I have some parameters to take care of.

It really pops and makes a lot of noise when I accelerate. I'm noticed :toofar:

//Anders
ansim

Post by ansim »

Changed the fuelmap. Less on cruising and more on acc.

It runs better. Did a 100 km tour without problem. On cruising it goes really well now, but on acc it still pops. But not so much as before.

The spark plugs looks better, brown to black. So there is still improvements to do.

For the last part I need a o2/lambda measurement system. It can be connected to the megasquirt box and start the log function for later analysis.

The realtime measurement is a problem on the bike, during driving. It is not recommended. So a laptop in a backpack and start log, or a connection to a pda and log on the pda is also a way.

//Anders
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Thiskind topics i really want to read !!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
steele

Post by steele »

This is extreamly interesting i had thought of going this way when racing my paso :thumbup:
helge-seins
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by helge-seins »

Boah Anders, :toofar: :eek: :lick:

cool looking bike (17" conversation & paint job) and nice to read about your fuel-injection.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hope to read soon:"...work`s great and without prob`s...."

Good luck....

der Helge
Ducati 750 Sport `90 #750924
Ducati 750 Sport `90 #751918
Ducati 907 i.e. `93
Suzuki VX 800 `92
Yamaha PW 50
BMW e34 520i `93
BMW e34 520i `94
ansim

Re: Paso 750 MegaSquirt

Post by ansim »

2008 update.

Working on the EFI box to get spark controlled.

Little tricky to find out from where to get the signal since the ducatis have one for each cylinder.

I'll work it out.
Will start with a spark map similar to original spark advance settings.
Now with Megasquirt EFI!!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Anders,

I guess the adapter angle from the rear brake, the one that holds the rod to the engine, is self made. Do you have a drawing of that ?

G.
ansim

Post by ansim »

No drawing.

It's a rear brake bracket from a Monster800, same as the wheel, and modified as the url picture shows.
The blue part is removed. Grind/hacksaw that part from the bracket.
http://alltomingenting.no-ip.info/galle ... DSC02074_1

Any similar bracket should work, thats fits on the wheel axle.

Anders
Now with Megasquirt EFI!!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

that`s not why I mean. I mean the piece that holds your hanging brake at the engine. It`s a small L shaped piece of metal. The one of a SL won`t fit as it touches the swingarm.

G.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

just looked at your pics again. Forget my question I just noted that you mounted it to the center stand bracket, not to the engine where it normally is.