Electrex reg/rectifier

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
steele

Electrex reg/rectifier

Post by steele »

Fitted my new RR51 last week what readings should i be getting with a voltmeter when testing charging?
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Measuring on battery, engine revving 3-4000 RPM: 13,5 - 14,5V.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

... and its normal, that voltage drops to 12.4-12.8 Volts in idle, what should be over 1200. Never go upper, than 14.7-14.8V, what is maximum. :thumbup: 14.0V is optimi to normal battery for charching and if under 12.5V, then need to charge. Ducatis need full charged battery to turn easily and injected bikes it helps little, when open throttle about 10% before push start knob, that sylinders get easier air/turn easier. I have noticed this in both 907IE and ST4S. :evil:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
steele

Post by steele »

Rechecked my voltage i am getting a consistant 15.3 volts :roll: Like yourself Finnpaso i woild have thought 14.8 would be maximum However just had a look in the Haynes manual for aircooled ss ducatis and it says up to 15.5 is ok :confused: So i have emailed electrex for a definative answer :thumbup:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

If talking normal battery(not any gel, or so), then 14.8V is maximum. If voltage is over that, then battery start to "boil" and then start to need add water quite often and one time u forget to add that water and then its end of that battery. I think 15.3 V is too high and there must be some reason for that also. I think, U should check all connections and groundings again..... They have had plenty of regulator problems in early(90s) 750/900 SS. Those times Ducati OEM regulators didnt function, like should. Thats why Ducati changed to jap regulators(like Shindengen in 916).
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
steele

Post by steele »

Ah now i am not really thinking straight on this i am using a Hayabusa gel type battery :confused: could this be the reason ? I am getting a high reading
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

I think, that is not reason, but i have "heard", that gel battery need to charge with lower amps, than normal battery. That dont function, when its put to bike, cause at least 906 system is designed to normal battery. I quess, that You have some bad connection. But if use 230V AC charger, then its better maybe to choose little different charger, or at least such, what have adjustable curent limiter. Anyway if U have 16Ah battery, then maximun charge current should be 160 mA. If 12Ah battery, then 120mA current. As i told, bikes charching systenm is so "stupid", that it put plenty of current to battery, if "need"(after start long time)..... :evil:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
jomo
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by jomo »

Keep checking the water level ...just like the rest of us! Even my mate with his ST2 and new Japenese regulator seems to be overcharging.

There must be a simple answer. Maybe an overflow tank, just like the radiator! That will be a good invention!
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Steele, did u get any response from Electrex about voltage? little courious, do they accept "too high voltage" in they products.... :evil:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
steele

Post by steele »

I have to say they werent particulary helpful :roll: going to run it for awhile checking state of charge every chance i get have ridden it a couple of times this week all seems ok so far just a point take a look at this ...http://www.geocities.com/750paso/paso/regulatortest.pdf
ducatipete
model: 906 Paso
year: 1991

Re: Electrex reg/rectifier

Post by ducatipete »

Hi Steele, what happened to make you change the regulator/rectifier, a couple of months ago, the charging red light came on and stayed on. Found that main 35 amp fuse had blown changed it and used volt meter to check charging and continuity test to alternator was fine, but last weekend light came back on and no charge to battery, fuse was fine, not had a chance to do another continuity test, can I do any more checks or just buy a new reg/reg as you did? thanks Peter

:thumbup: It was my reg/rect. I replaced it last night with a new RR51, easy,but found the rear shock reservoir interfered with the new unit, so had to adjust the bracket for more clearance(drilled out mounting holes) :thumbup:
Last edited by ducatipete on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

not sure if a Supersport or Monster regulator has the same technical spec as the one of the Paso (although they do work on the Paso as well), but maybe it will still help.... Download "electrics" and look at the very last page of the pdf.

http://www.box.net/public/oq4fober14

G.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

What RPM did you get the 15 volts at??
steele

Post by steele »

paso750 wrote:not sure if a Supersport or Monster regulator has the same technical spec as the one of the Paso (although they do work on the Paso as well), but maybe it will still help.... Download "electrics" and look at the very last page of the pdf.

http://www.box.net/public/oq4fober14

G.
I have the Haynes manual and found that as well :D to be honest it doesnt seem to be doing any damage battery seems ok etc so fingers crossed.oh the voltage was at 3000rpm and doesnt get any higher.
steele

Post by steele »

ducatipete wrote:Hi Steele, what happened to make you change the regulator/rectifier, a couple of months ago, the charging red light came on and stayed on. Found that main 35 amp fuse had blown changed it and used volt meter to check charging and continuity test to alternator was fine, but last weekend light came back on and no charge to battery, fuse was fine, not had a chance to do another continuity test, can I do any more checks or just buy a new reg/reg as you did? thanks Peter

:thumbup: It was my reg/rect. I replaced it last night with a new RR51, easy,but found the rear shock reservoir interfered with the new unit, so had to adjust the bracket for more clearance(drilled out mounting holes) :thumbup:
Glad your sorted mate i had to redrill mine to fit as well.What voltage are you getting on yours at 3000rpm? :)