Paso mirrors (again...)

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

macchiman
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

Paso mirrors (again...)

Post by macchiman »

Has anyone successfully repaired any original Paso mirror pods?

Over the past couple of years I've collected some battered pods, all of which are in need of repair. Indicator lenses are still available, while the mirror glass can be replaced with one from a Suzuki mirror - I don't know which model, I've just asked for a match at a motorcycle breakers.

In each case the inner metal frame and circular mirror surround has come away from the shell of the pod. I can see how the whole lot fits together, with the metal frame locating in a small plate in the front of the shell, but can't see what stopped the whole assembly coming apart again. On one of my pods someone has glued the circular surround to the shell, while on another someone put a small nail thru the surround and shell then painted over the head!

Any suggestions please? At the moment I assume that the surround is just a tight push fit onto the shell but comes loose if the pod is damaged.

Martin Philp
Paso 750
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Paso mirrors (again...)

Post by englishstiv »

Yep you have got it in one I reckon they are just pressed together in a tight fit maybe with a small amount of resin to act as the glueing agent, then painted and fitted with their electrics , the lense and the mirror which I believed must of been pressed home and clipped in.

When they are heavily knocked the whole lot just springs apart.

Which means either glueing or resetting with resin.

The one on my bike had the three bolt heads ripped off and I used a block of wood which was then glued direct to the fairing shell.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
macchiman
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

Re: Paso mirrors (again...)

Post by macchiman »

Ingenious! But do you have to look out for dry rot now as well as rust :D

On the 750's clip-on type of pod the mirror and white plastic mount are held to the metal frame in by a pozi screw and hence are easy to remove.

I'm trying to think of a neat way to hold the shell to the metal frame so I can take it apart again if necessary, such as for painting.