Brothers in Arms

Chat about anything not Paso related here
Jaffa
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Brothers in Arms

Post by Jaffa »

You know, it used to be that every motorcyclist on the road going the other way (except Harley riders) would wave or acknowledge your presence on the road. A simple nod of the head, a wave, or some other sign that they were not the only one out there,...they had seen you, a brother that liked the freedom of the open road (except Harley riders).

On my journey of some 5,000kms from Brisbane in the North East of this vast country, to Perth in the far West, I made a very interesting observation.

Most motorcyclists on the road, no matter what they ride, STILL acknowledge the presence of a brother motorcyclist on the road (except Harely riders).

What is it with these ignorant bastards. Is it that these riders of archiac pieces of farm machinery (i.e Massey Fergusons with two wheels) dont want to embarrass the rest of the motorcycling fraternity by associating themselves with the most social group of road users out there, or do they just feel unsafe, releasing one hand from their shiny ape-hangers to show some solidarity with these rest of the motorcycling world.

Motorcyclist of the world unite......except Harely riders me thinks.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Jaffa
'91 907ie (RED)
'78 900 Darmah (RED) (now BLACK and lookin' goooooood)
'82 900 Mike Hailwood Replica
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Re: Brothers in Arms

Post by persempre907 »

Here in Italy, not all the bikers accostume to do any sign on the road.
For sure, here the bikers don't do any sign to the scooter riders (even the bigger ones).
I perceive that often the bikers do the signs as regard as the bike: recently, on the motorway, a Ducati 999 rider did a sign to me, but a BMW rider didn't do it nor replied to mine.

I like to do a sign to all the bikers (outside the downtown) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

ooohhh heck now that was a sore topic over here in the UK a few years back.

Moped/scooter riders - acknowledge only them selves.

Sports Bike riders - couldn't give a toss about anyone else on the road - and if they did it was a flick of the leg off the pegs.

Cruiser Custom and Tourers it's either a wave, a nod of the head or a flick of the boot off the pegs.

Trail and Cross Bikers acknowledge all unless three foot in the air with both hands on the bar however they are happy to wave if doing a triple somersault or double back flip!

Personally I wave, nod my head or flick my foot depending on my speed, lean angle or road position.

I don't know of any problems with specific biker rides but do find BMW drivers can find it hard to acknowledge your presence and I am sure it is normally because they mistake my bike when they do.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

funny. The same here in Germany. Scooter riders would greet scooter riders. Guys on mororbikes would only greet guys on motorbikes (independent on type though). When talking about motorbikes I mean above 125cc. Everything else is by accident as some 125ccs actually look like a big bike :)
Harley riders normally do greet, BMW riders normally don`t which once in a while makes me wanna raise a single finger instead of the whole hand, but then I guess these guys are mostly old & don`t know about this habit, or they`re just busy with their heated grips, radio, CB or something else...
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

:lol: :lol: :lol: here Harley guys dont make ANY signs normally, but as Gerhard mention, i also want to show one particular finger to all of them and JUST; BECAUSE of they "bahaving" against all other motorbikes .... I think, every country have own "mc traditions" and i accept it.... Here only NORMAL bikers(with also 125cc) rise hand, if meet is street/roads, no scooter drivers, no car driver, not ANYMORE truck driver(like they did still 15 years ago)... ONLY "NORMAL motorbikers"... seems, that i am "still normal", cause i do it still... BUT NOT TO harley guys! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I read some time ago, that some problems in Italy with greeting another bikers with hand.... "illegal!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... but as everybody knows those "Italians", its not so important to meet every rules... u can drive there without helmet, etc.... If police stop, You start to "discuss with Your hands" and then at the end NO penalty! ....hahahahahahaha.... most important is to speak plenty with hands and talk as much as possible... better with speaking very fastly....hahahaha.. i have been in Italy some times....... No any mean to "joke from Italians", but they have totally another attitiude to things, as we here in north.... They have enough freetime there to do all.. we have to put whole time woods to fireplace to survie from very cold climate..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ok, thios was only short version, what i think...... :lol:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Here in the states some riders wave some riders don't. Current trend is to point down with one finger,does not seem to matter what they ride. Harley riders are just as likely to wave as any other,unless of course the are an outlaw wearing their colors. BMW riders wave as often as not. Even scooter riders will wave but most bikes don't wave to them. The biggest problem I have is all the kids on rice burners have to do wheelies and wave whenever they see the old Paso. :lol: One last comment,flippin some one the finger is always a very bad idea here. A very bad idea.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

I ride a Harley and you should feel honored that I am taking my time to respond to your post.....now bow down at my feet and worship these boots that perch upon the pegs of an American icon!!!

Just kidding.....I've found people with attitudes riding all makes and models. I've found a LOT of similarities with Harley owners and DUCATI owners.....substitute chrome for carbon fiber and alcohol for Starbucks, and there is definitely an uncanny similarity. Actually, other than Harley owners, some of the worst attitudes I've ever run across have been from owners of BMWs and....Ducatis. :,(

I'm a "bike whore". I like all motorcycles. I guess to be more politically correct, you can say I'm simply a "motorcycle enthusiast". :thumbup:
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Desmo_Demon wrote:I'm a "bike whore" . I like all motorcycles. I guess to be more politically correct, you can say I'm simply a "motorcycle enthusiast". :thumbup:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
nilaus
year: 0

Post by nilaus »

In Denmark we have the same issue with Harley owners not, especially when in coalers. As one of my rends pointed out, that it must be some thing to doo with that it isn’t possible to take one hand of the Harley due to its handling :lol:

The last couple years the economy has exploded in Denmark, for the better, so the number of bikers on the road her, has tripled. So when I ride to or from work, which is about 25 km. I ride with only with one hand :cool:

Have a happy new year all.