My white Paso

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

johanv

My white Paso

Post by johanv »

This is my white 1990 750 Paso. It used to be red with red seat. But the fairings where damaged when I bought it, so I repaired the fairings and brought it to the paint shop to spray it white.

Things I changed:
- 916 Front forks
- 916 front wheel and brakes
- Renthal handle bar
- supersport rear wheel and brake
- Mikuni supersport carbs
- K&N Filters

916 front end:

To make the 916 forks fit my paso, I had to use Monster yokes, because the diameter of the center pin of the 916 forks is to large for the chassis of the Paso. So I bought a set of Monster yokes.
The holes in the upper yoke are milled to 53mm(were 50mm), the lower yoke has a 0,5mm spacer to clamp the forks. Clip ons cannot be fitted to the Paso, because of the tank, so I had to buy a normal handle bar. The 916 forks have adjustment knobs on the top of them, so I could fit the handle bar in a normal way. So a friendly member of Ducati club Netherlands made me a set of offset handle bar clamps.

The wheels and brakes fit the forks perfectly because the width of the monster and 916 forks are the same. And off course I had to buy a carbon fender.

Rear wheel

I bought a rear wheel from a 750 supersport or monster(2nd generation wheel) with the brake calliper and brake adapter.
The brake adapter had to be milled down by 18mm and the hole had to be enlarged from 17mm to 20mm. I had to make a bolt(M10) with a bush in the swing arm to block the adapter from turning(it's a bit rusty now, I will replace it with a stainless one)

On the sprocket side of the rear wheel, the sprocket adapter is milled down a bit. The center bushing had to be remade bacause of the larger diameter of the spindle. The wheel brearing have been replaced by 6204 2RS bearings. The axle between the two wheel bearings had to be replaced by a new axle with an inner diameter of 20 mm instead of 17mm.

Mikunu carbs]
I replaced the original carbs with Mikunu ones from a 750 Supersport or Monster. It's easy to replace them, I only had to modify gas cable. The original air box won't fit at the mikuni carbs, so i fitted K&N's RU-0800 with some plumbing to fit them under the tank.

Still have to do a lot of work to make it rideable. It won't start right now, it hasn't started for two years now.

If you have any questions, just ask.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: My white Paso

Post by paso750 »

note that the fork is 3-3,5cm shorter than the original one (of what I remember) and the offset of the Monster triple clamps is also quite a bit different compared to the Paso, meaning that this is quite a big change in geometry. Is that on purpose ?
Don`t the large fork tubes hit the front side of the tank when turning left or right ?

G.
johanv

Post by johanv »

Yes it is a little shorter. And the offset may be different, I will find out if this is a negative thing when I ride it. The two bolts on the picture prevent the fork to hit the tank. I can rotate my front end about 45 degrees.

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

there`s a misunderstanding. I mean the upper front section of the tank
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

I guess he made those two bolt to reduce the steering, so that the fork can't hit the tank.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
johanv

Post by johanv »

persempre907 wrote:I guess he made those two bolt to reduce the steering, so that the fork can't hit the tank.
Ciao
Yes you are right.
nilaus
year: 0

Post by nilaus »

Hi Johanv.

Did you just bore a hole in the swing arm for the rear brake torq arm bracket and put a bolt thrue or? I am trying to solve this isue.
johanv

Post by johanv »

I drilled a small hole on the innerside of the swingarm (10mm) and a large (14?mm) hole on the outside of the swingarm. I made a bushing (inner diameter 10, outer 14? length?) and placed the bolt through it. I made a little drawing, the funny looking thing is the bolt :) Hope you understand the drawing, I have a better pic with measurements at home, i will place it here. tonight(GMT+1)

edit:
I used this:
Last edited by johanv on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I guess he made those two bolt to reduce the steering, so that the fork can't hit the tank.
That`s actually strange. When my bike was disassembled I tried a USD fork with 53mm fork legs and they touched immedeately. The front edge of the tank with the edge protector would have to be grinded off to have space to move. That had nothing to do with the steering stops.
Guess that this fork has a smaller diameter then.
I will find out if this is a negative thing when I ride it.
As you`re obviously experimenting be careful when trying high speed. The front looks so low that it could show nervous behaviour. You know you can lenghten most forks a bit...
johanv

Post by johanv »

My fork has a diameter of 53mm. Without the use of the steering stops, my forks will touch the tank at about 46 degrees. So I adjusted them to stop at about 45 degrees.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

how many degrees is normall full steering ?
If I had adjusted my stop screws I would have lost quite a bit of steering range. Maybe not so important for riding, but more for maneuvering the bike.
nilaus
year: 0

Post by nilaus »

Hi
So when you assemble, you tighten with a standard M10 nut on the other side (tyre side)?
Regards
Klaus
johanv

Post by johanv »

yes. I think i used m10X 50. And I used loctite to lock the bolt
zacchello
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by zacchello »

Hello everybody!!!

You have tried to drive the motorbike with your new fork!!??
I like very much your new-custom-paso and new fork!!!

I am thinking also myself to do this customize with 916 forks!

:thumbup:
zacchello
johanv

Post by johanv »

Yes I rode the bike with the new forks. It rides very good. But actually, the forks should be a little longer (+-3cm).

Some new pics: