So what do you do?

Chat about anything not Paso related here
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

So what do you do?

Post by fasterdammit »

I have a vague idea of what some of us do when we're not surfing ducatipaso.org, but just out of curiosity - what does everybody do for a living?

Myself, I'm the chief (read: "only") web designer/developer for one of the larger hospitals in central NY. I've been here about 8 months and love it. I've been doing web design for about 10 years. Also, I started teaching web design at one of the local community colleges this semester too - just had our final last night. It's been pretty cool, but I'm glad it's over all the same. I also do some freelance stuff on the side, but not so much since I've been teaching. Then the stuff I don't get paid for - except in beer - wrench on buddies' bikes & cars ... :neener:

I used to have a regionally successful band a couple years back, too. Played all over NY state, even "Woodstock '99" on the main stage, which was pretty cool. That was our biggest show - about 60k people when we played. Put out a couple CDs - not exactly anything I'd call "reliable income" but the benefits were nice. ;)
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

"CAD Engineer" for the world's #1 chip maker. I do UNIX resource management, forecasting and purchasing of computing hardware, web development/exploration for interal capabilities, some hacky PERL programming for metrics and dashboard type stuff. It's a great job I love it. :thumbup:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

I work for a major employment agency as a Consultant - Case Manager. I deal with what is called the "too hard basket". That is basically the people that are not able to look for work because they have issues such as mental illness, depression, psychological &/or social disorders, drug/alchohol addictions, domestic violence issues, homeless, prison release etc. etc. I work with them to assist them deal with these barriers so that they can get their lives back on track. It is full on work but I love it, fantastic sence of satisfaction when you can make a significant breakthrough that is changing someones life for the better. definately not all nice work though, there are some people with some real agro attitudes & heavy problems that is why I love this site, it is an escape sometimes when I can't get on the bike ( I never think of work when riding). I have been involved in this work for 4 years & love it. Before that I spent 11 years in the Australian Air Force. I loved that as well.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

A very interesting Topic you've broached here, faster. Well done!

I did enjoy reading the three posts above.

It would be really interesting to know what some of us do.

I'm quite curious about what Mr Slocum does - I've been wondering whether it has anything to do with the sea ...
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Skins wrote:I'm quite curious about what Mr Slocum does - I've been wondering whether it has anything to do with the sea ...
I'm just a lowly slob. I design/sell specialty tooling for critical bolted joints or larger applications. From the international space station to your average sewage pump station, I've been to all of them. The concept is quite simple; right is tight, left is loose. Archimedes invented it over 2000 years ago and it hasn't changed since.

I do a bit of sailing as it's in the blood. 50,000 miles offshore with 2 transatlantic crossings. Joshua is a great, great uncle.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Wow! Thanks, Jon.
DucSoup

Post by DucSoup »

[quote="jcslocumI do a bit of sailing as it's in the blood. 50,000 miles offshore with 2 transatlantic crossings. Joshua is a great, great uncle.[/quote]

Maybe Jonah is in the family tree somewhere also. ;-)
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

DucSoup wrote:Maybe Jonah is in the family tree somewhere also. ;-)
I doubt it!
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:toofar:

Don't mention Jonah to a sailor, Duc!
steele

Post by steele »

I am Company engineer for a Trafficsignal company ....yes i design build and sell Traffic lights .................including the ones that start EVERY F1 race :roll: :D :thumbup:
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

I like traffic lights.......but only when they are green :D

The F1 thing is a pretty cool claim to fame :thumbup:
Redpaso
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

For ten years until recently I worked full-time as an artist. I had been involved part-time with art for about 40 years, since I was ten. I made drawings, which would probably be called 'classical studies' - the figure, seascapes, still life, and so on. I made limited edition lithographs (a printmaking technique) and sold my work into nearly 1000 homes around my part of the city of Wellington. Then I started making jewellery - just metal, silver and gold, no stones yet - and started selling through a couple of good city galleries, which I'm still doing, but now mostly caring for my very old dad. Just moved my workbench and associated gear into the house, so I can do more work while watching over him. Hope to make a solid silver 'Paso' belt buckle at some stage.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

I'm a self-employed 4WD/ATV & tractor operator trainer, which involves running training courses throughout the North Island of NZ. Also sell various Australian & American 4WD products - also do a bit of mobile mechanical work. Spend waaaay too much time in my ute travelling..........
Whilst it would be ok to be paid to stand on a street corner - doing the above helps pay most of the bills most of the time.............
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Sounds like fun, but hard work, eh Duck?
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

We are certianly a diverse & very interesting bunch, there seems to be a commom thread of being god with our hands (with the exception of me, I am hopeless most of the time, that is why I work with people). This is certianly a very interesting topic, I hope we get a lot more responses :thumbup:
Redpaso