Dellorto or Mikuni models?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jprhyme

Dellorto or Mikuni models?

Post by jprhyme »

Hello,
I would like a little information if anyone is kind enough to help....I have an 87 Paso with the usual backfiring and slight hesitation when hard throttling in low RPM and I think it would be a good idea for me to change the carb from the stock webber to a Mikuni or a Dellorto; which leads me to my questions:

1) Which carb would be best (and possibly less of a hassle) to install?
2) What are the size and models of the carb that fits on the Ducati? Is it the Dellorto PHM 40 and the Mikuni....
3) Can anyone suggest anything else that would be a good idea to fix this annoyance?

Thank you in advance for any information, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

P.S. Also, can anyone tell me if there is anywhere I can get the tailpiece on the Paso that has no handle (like on the Paso prototype); and where can I find the wiring diagram Mr Slocum posted?
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

I have PHF 36s on my bike. It goes like a rocket and has very accurate throttle response, but it uses a lot of fuel. I gather that with Mikunis they run well and have better fuel consumption. Hopefully, you will be able to get a quite a bit of feedback from members on this point.

However, and in relation to your third question, the installation of a fuel pressure regulator (much less expensive than a pair of carbs) is reported to make them run very well with the Weber. You should be able to get feedback on this point also, and it may be worth trying this option first.

I can email you Jon Slocum's relay installation instructions if you send me your email address.
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

jprhyme

Hi

Have you been reading the following link?

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... opic&t=387

Ducalist and myself are both in the middle of Mikuni conversions.
The carbs I am using came from a 600 Monster, all you will need with this conversion will be carbs,Inlet Manifolds from the donor bike,new throttle cable or cables. Some people say you have to have the push/pull arrangment that the monster has but looking at the set up of my carbs will try single cable first. New choke cable. And of cause the hardest part some sort of airfilter. Some just fit K&N pod filters but we are trying to produce a airbox type. I think that Ducaist has made a complete replacement unit, I am trying to mod the original unit which mean cutting the bottom off and remaking take. But if you do this you will find that the mounts for new carbs are no where near the old webber.
Last but not least a rejet will be required.

If you are going the route of Mikuni's just be carefull with the Pilot jet screws these if the carbs came from a monster could be seized.

My carbs are ex Monster 600
Inlets also from same bike
New Control cables
Will be airbox of myy own design!
jprhyme

Post by jprhyme »

Thanks guys for your help so far, Hopefully more knowledge pours in. Skins, I sent you my email in a private message for the wiring diagram.
reginapete

Post by reginapete »

Please read my comments on the change from the Weber bean tin to the Mikunis. I changed recently and completed the wiring mods from J Slocum. I have let a few mates of mine who drive Sack-o-cackies and the like and they think the bike is superb. Go for Mikunis of a Ducati 750 GT. Have a look on the DOCGB web site and magazine for spares.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by mike »

Skins wrote:I have PHF 36s on my bike ... it uses a lot of fuel
I got horrific economy with the PHFs on Paso #1. Horrible!
DucSoup

Post by DucSoup »

mike wrote:
Skins wrote:I have PHF 36s on my bike ... it uses a lot of fuel
I got horrific economy with the PHFs on Paso #1. Horrible!
Same with my Mikunis. I seem to remember something like 29 m/g (12Km/l ??). IIRC the previous owner put 38mm Mikuni flat slide carbs on and I added pod filters. It does stumble at startup from a dead stop.(http://www.geocities.com/pbp2go/ducati/ ... index.html) Maybe something smaller, like a 36mm, would help economy, I do not know.