clutches and coils

discussions specific to the 907IE
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: clutches and coils

Post by Mc tool »

What I did ( eventually ) to get the right bend in the 1st fp was to over bend the fp , assemble the clutch and then , with a soft faced hammer , tapped around the circumfrence of the pressure plate , which bent the tangs back to the " correct dimention " . Honestly , I @#$%ed about for ages bending and straightening , assembling and dissassembling before " taking to it with a sfms hammer " ( soft faced medium sized........ Hi Antti :P :lol: :lol: )
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Mc tool wrote:" taking to it with a sfms hammer " ( soft faced medium sized........ Hi Antti :P :lol: :lol: )
You who have the English as mothertongue are real GURUs about energy saving :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

persempre907 wrote:
Mc tool wrote:" taking to it with a sfms hammer " ( soft faced medium sized........ Hi Antti :P :lol: :lol: )
You who have the English as mothertongue are real GURUs about energy saving :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ciao
The americans started it with the model codes for there harleys , FXST XLCR FLT FLHTC FLHRCI , who cares what it stands for , interesting tho that a lot of them start with an F :lol: :lol: :P
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

jpitz31 wrote:Quite normal as the clutch starts to wear. From time to time remove the clutch cover and blow out the area with compressed air to remove the dirt and clutch plate dust.

Dry clutch noise is all part of the experience of riding a Ducati :mrgreen:

Cheers

Joe
Never ever ever blow out your clutch with compressed air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or Brake clean or any other solvent!!!!
Use a spray bottle of water only and let it air dry.
There is nothing in a clutch assembly you want to inhale not even once in a while. Once these small particles are in your lungs they are there for the rest of your life. Even when spraying it down with water wear googles and a mask and keep everyone else out of the area.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

I have been told that I have cast iron lungs ,of larger than usual capasity , by an amazed looking knifeholder as a spot the size of luxemburg was comsumed without waisting even the smallest tendril :lol: :lol: :thumbup: those were the days
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Mc tool wrote:I have been told that I have cast iron lungs ,of larger than usual capasity , by an amazed looking knifeholder as a spot the size of luxemburg was comsumed without waisting even the smallest tendril :lol: :lol: :thumbup: those were the days

Extra capacity for hot air,eh Hamish :fart: :fart: :fart:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

higgy wrote:
Mc tool wrote:I have been told that I have cast iron lungs ,of larger than usual capasity , by an amazed looking knifeholder as a spot the size of luxemburg was comsumed without waisting even the smallest tendril :lol: :lol: :thumbup: those were the days

Extra capacity for hot air,eh Hamish :fart: :fart: :fart:
Ah , ok .An excess of oral :?: hot air . That would be because I have had my arsehole disconnected for the last 8 months :shock: , and your farting smilies only remind me of the lost pleasure of sharing my digestive fragrances with the world , rather than the confines of a disabled toilet :P , however I am (hopefully ) getting my poo shute replumbed on tuesday and , Higgy, when I have my 1st shit in 8 months I will think of you :lol: :lol: :lol:
jpitz31
model: 750 Sport

Post by jpitz31 »

higgy wrote: Never ever ever blow out your clutch with compressed air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or Brake clean or any other solvent!!!!
Use a spray bottle of water only and let it air dry.
There is nothing in a clutch assembly you want to inhale not even once in a while. Once these small particles are in your lungs they are there for the rest of your life. Even when spraying it down with water wear googles and a mask and keep everyone else out of the area.
Good point, These bikes are 20 years old and could very well contain asbestos.

EPA recommends wet low pressure cleaning methods.

http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/brakesbrochure.html

Thanks for the reminder

Joe
1990 Ducati 750 Sport (mine)
2007 Piaggio BV 500 (mine - daily driver)
2008 Piaggio MP3 500 (wife's)

My Ducati Blog site
http://projectducati.blogspot.com/

Stupidity is not a crime, your are free to go ;-)
ducbertus
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by ducbertus »

hey McTool,

while reading the post I was missing your pics of the bend tangs.
can you repost them? :)

thanks in advance and good luck with plumbing and don't to much iron. it stiffens you're poo and you got clogged like never before. :evil:

see you,

Ducbertus
93IE
year: 1993

Post by 93IE »

I put in the light weight basket and clutch plate today. Made the motor sound different, I guess due to the 2.5 lb. reduction on the crank. Still have some jingle, and I'm sure it will increase with time.

I also put in a hi-lo hid lampset in the stock headlight. Major improvement over the old h-4 bulb, and I suppose draws about 20 watts less.
du907

Post by du907 »

Got any pictures of the HID modification? Would like to see 'em.
du907
blazing928
year: 1991

Post by blazing928 »

i have bought these for my bike and car, just haven't fitted yet!

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD

[NB Australian site]
Nigel

91 907IE - full restoration
91 907IE Red, Wilbers, Staintune Conti, Corbin,
MPL Slipper,Ceramic exhaust

Lambretta LI150 S3
87 928S4

http://www.paolopirozzi.com/it/ - around the world on a Multistrada

907, its not a bike , its a cult
93IE
year: 1993

Post by 93IE »

I didn't take pictures, but it was a very simple install. The ballast assy. mounts to the voltage reg plate directly next to the regulator. There is 3 prong adaptor that plugs into the existing headlight bulb plug. The low beam is hid, high beam is halogen. Low beam is more than adiquate for riding even at high speeds. I think it was a great improvement and an easy retrofit and only $49.50

Get the 6000k beam. Does not effect on coming traffic, or at least I had no one flashing at me to dim my lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcyc ... 2a0148b685
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

ducbertus wrote:hey McTool,

while reading the post I was missing your pics of the bend tangs.
can you repost them? :)

thanks in advance and good luck with plumbing and don't to much iron. it stiffens you're poo and you got clogged like never before. :evil:

see you,

Ducbertus
That would have to have been the worst week of my life, and , Higgy Sorry buddy I couldnt think of a friendly guy and what was going on with me at the same time........ not even as a funny , so I take that back.
All is good , or at least much better , cant beleive that f@#%in bag is really gone .... YAHOO !
Ducuertus , sorry I was a dumbass and cleaned up my photobucket album not realising that by deleting the pix off there they would also vanish off my posts , but here we go

hope this helps
du907

Post by du907 »

I posted this sentence in an earlier post, "Also, the original Paso basket is slightly different than the newer part no. replacement that is basically the same as the 900ss, 916, etc. The bottom is slightly flat whereas the newer replacement is rounder. So the plate staking is slightly different with the new basket."
Your pictures above show exactly what I was talking about. Notice how the bottom of the slot is rounded at the bottom and the tang can only go down so far, so you are bending the tang in order to get the plate to sit different. The original 907 basket's groove is flat at the bottom and the first plate sits a little farther down than what you pictures show here, thus making the stacking a little different that other Ducati models. Does any of this make sense? I'll see if I can find the original clutch basket and take a picture and post it. Maybe you will see what I mean.
du907