Cam Timing

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Cam Timing

Post by ducinthebay »

In talking with the folks at Nichols, since he has started doing this service, he hasn't found a bike that did not benefit. Some timing was off by up to 8 degrees. I don't know how this can happen with the design, but I guess it can. If this is true with newer bikes, I can only imagine how the older bikes are.

There was a good write up on the affects of cam timing, or as they say, degreeing the cams.
It was at Moto One, in Australia, but the link no longer works. I guess they are gone, and so is all of their data and website. shame.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Duc906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by Duc906 »

ducinthebay wrote:There was a good write up on the affects of cam timing, or as they say, degreeing the cams.
It was at Moto One, in Australia, but the link no longer works. I guess they are gone, and so is all of their data and website. shame.
Ducinthebay,
all that info is now at http://www.bikeboy.org/index.html Brad used to work at Moto One. After they closed down he started his own shop and web site, fortunately he has saved all the articles and made them accessible to all. :thumbup: :beer:
romus

adjustable pulleys

Post by romus »

Duc906 wrote:Just ordered a set of adjustable pulleys from VeeTwo. ...
I have also ordered a set of adjustable pulleys from VeeTwo. It seems they also include a Holding tool:
I am a newbe, but it looks as though Duc906 instructions would change at where he starts using the dial indicator, is that right?
Warwick - on a learning curve and on a
Ducati Paso - Soul of a thoroughbred :P
romus

Post by romus »

Duc906 wrote:Hey romus, If you want when I get my bike sorted I could lend you my tools.(Pm sent) After all the work you did on the weber doc and the advice that you have given I'm more than happy to return the favour. I'm in the process of putting together a PDF doc to detail the procedure for timing one's cams, I've been tied up with work a bit lately so it's taking longer than I expected. :beer:
An appreciated offer :) . I'll PM you. PDF doc sounds good, too.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: adjustable pulleys

Post by Mc tool »

romus wrote:
I have also ordered a set of adjustable pulleys from VeeTwo. It seems they also include a Holding tool:
I am a newbe, but it looks as though Duc906 instructions would change at where he starts using the dial indicator, is that right?
lucky you , the buggers wont answer my e-mails :mad: , which is now even worser as those bits look realy cool :cool: . I will try again :thumbup:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Duc906

Post by Duc906 »

Mc tool wrote:lucky you , the buggers wont answer my e-mails :mad: , which is now even worser as those bits look realy cool :cool: . I will try again :thumbup:
Hey Mc Tool
Their web site doesn't work any more,VeeTwo has been taken over by ATG.
I deal with Mark at ATG, he will look after you. :thumbup:

Mark Ambrosius, Sales Co-ordinator
Automotive Technology Group Limited
marka@ATGgroup.com.au
PH (08) 9262-7277
FAX (08) 9262-7288
romus

Re: adjustable pulleys

Post by romus »

Mc tool wrote:
romus wrote:
I have also ordered a set of adjustable pulleys from VeeTwo. It seems they also include a Holding tool...
lucky you , the buggers wont answer my e-mails :mad: , which is now even worser as those bits look realy cool :cool: . I will try again :thumbup:
The E-bay shop is still open though. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vee-Two-adjustab ... _709wt_921 Just arrived ATG on the invoice :)
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Ken , thankyou very much , I also had an idea that I might get a set of heads " done " to go with a set of 95 mm pistons and a set of fcr's I'm still working on but as I say I couldnt contact them
thanks
Hamish
Duc906

Post by Duc906 »

Mc tool wrote:Ken , thankyou very much , I also had an idea that I might get a set of heads " done " to go with a set of 95 mm pistons and a set of fcr's I'm still working on but as I say I couldnt contact them
thanks
Hamish
Hey McT, sounds great. Fitting a big bore kit, now that would be nice. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :beer:
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Duc906 wrote:
Mc tool wrote:lucky you , the buggers wont answer my e-mails :mad: , which is now even worser as those bits look realy cool :cool: . I will try again :thumbup:
Hey Mc Tool
Their web site doesn't work any more,VeeTwo has been taken over by ATG.
I deal with Mark at ATG, he will look after you. :thumbup:

Mark Ambrosius, Sales Co-ordinator
Automotive Technology Group Limited
marka@ATGgroup.com.au
PH (08) 9262-7277
FAX (08) 9262-7288
Talk about rotten luck :-( , they have sold out and aint makin' none more :banghead: . They have refered me to Pro twins so I will give em a whirl :?: :thumbup: :?:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Ok, Kens excellent file is now ready for download (it can be found via my downloads thread, it`s not on the sites downloads yet). Here the direct link.

http://www.box.net/shared/hpgf6mc5le

G.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Will also be available from my site shortly
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2hw9t/

higgy
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

Outstanding file. Very nicely done.
Add to the list of potential solutions is the Nichols pulleys, that have 4 different keyways cut into them. That and some offset keys and its a $150 solution.

I had the cam timing done on my ST4s, and it improved the mid range nicely. Now on to the 750 and 900 motor.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

romus

My Cam Timing

Post by romus »

My settings were:
Vertical cam:
Inlet Opening BTDC 13.5; Inlet Closing ABDC 59; Inlet Duration 252.5; Inlet Centreline 112.7
Horizontal cam:
Inlet Opening BTDC 25; Inlet Closing ABDC 66.5; Inlet Duration 271.5; Inlet Centreline 110.7

Adjusted as close to the 106 centreline preferred settings as I could get:
Vertical cam:
Inlet Opening BTDC 29.25; Inlet Closing ABDC 62; Inlet Duration 271.5; Inlet Centreline 106.36
Horizontal cam:
Inlet Opening BTDC 30; Inlet Closing ABDC 62.5; Inlet Duration 272.5; Inlet Centreline 106.2

It seems my Horizontal cylinder Inlet Centreline was at the Ducati factory specs of 110 degrees, though the vertical was a couple of degrees out. So, I have adjusted both cylinders, as close as I could get, to the Bikeboy 106 recommendation as per Ken's Cam Timing document.

Results:
Starts straight away - the reluctance to start that I had is gone :) . I have ridden the bike on local roads, motorway and open road and am convinced the 106 cam timing is far better. The power is lower down - more accessible for normal driving. I like it since I have to contend with traffic lights and mostly drive under 100kph :). On the open road I can do 150kph in 4th with power to go, so no problem as far as i will ride it.

No noticeable difference to air fuel mixture (AFM) on the rear, but the front, which was 2 degrees retarded needed jetting back in line with the front cylinder.

Thanks Ken for the superb Paso Cam Timing document and the other help given. I am a newbie, so if I can follow this I figure anyone can. :D :beer:
Last edited by romus on Mon May 31, 2010 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.