What way to go here in Ducatipaso.org web sites???

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

What way to go here in Ducatipaso.org web sites???

Post by Finnpaso »

I want to start topic about WHAT DIRECTION these sites SHOULD go? I have seen, that it is very difficult with totally different cultures around world with this web site, as seems, that Europeans think quite different way, as usa guys about many things. And seems, that we dont "understand" each others .... :( That "understanding" can be fixed at least little by one way: Everybody TRY to write ONLY BASIC "english" without any shortened things. I really dont have time to try find out what some shortened things mean from internet. I am enough hurry in my freetime, so such way is out of my plannings totally. Maybe for someone such feels stupid, so i accept it, but only WE ALL TOGETHER can make this web page function better. If such dont happen, i leave these sites....Ok, it (my leaving) doesnt make any sense, but i accept also that.

EVERYBODY, who write to these sites SHOULD think at least one thing: Here are very many such guys, who have poor english language (like me!), so they (and me) cant understand all what peopple write here, no matter they can really NEED some help to keep they Paso's in use as long as possible.

I dont answer to any questions about this thing for awhile, as i want to look, what peopple answer to this topic. I open my mouth later..... (after i see, what shall be "direction"....)

I want discussion about this and everybody is free to say own opinion now!

I wish to everybody happy times with Paso's no matter what is modell.... :)

Ps, sorry, as i made many mistakes with my poor english language with this topic and maybe everybody cant understand me now... :,(
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
blazing928
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Re: What way to go here in Ducatipaso.org web sites???

Post by blazing928 »

Interesting post.
I think because this is an english site, you will always have some crazy/difficult language that for non english speakers it will be hard to understand. English has many strange ways and double meanings to words, words that sound the same but are spelt differently.

There is the 'Queens' english- UK, USA english that spells words differently and each counrty has its way of speaking. I really stuggle with US Tv shows with its 'street talk'. You are lucky you don't have to listen to us!

Here in Australia each region speaks differently, North western australia or QLD counrty has a very different accent/sound, even different suburbs/social groups here in Melbourne.

I am sure that a english writer on a Finnish site would be in the same situation, [or 'boat' is a term we might use in english!].

I struggle with 'text' talk and lots of shortened words/abbreviations on posts as well!

I am very sure that if you need some technical clarification, then a quick post asking to simplify the words will make it easier and anyone here would always help.

I think we would all try to be clear, but would need a gentle reminder now and then.
Some posts relating to local areas/issues are always going to be not understood others.
I just quickly read them and move on.

ciao
Nigel

91 907IE - full restoration
91 907IE Red, Wilbers, Staintune Conti, Corbin,
MPL Slipper,Ceramic exhaust

Lambretta LI150 S3
87 928S4

http://www.paolopirozzi.com/it/ - around the world on a Multistrada

907, its not a bike , its a cult
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

Antti Tiedät se ei ole niin vaikeaa nyt käyttää useita web-pohjainen kääntäjiä, joiden avulla voit ymmärtää millä tahansa kielellä kohtuulliselle tasolle?
Uskon, että tämä sivusto tulee tehdä selväksi, että sinun ei tarvitse kirjoittaa tietyllä kielellä - esimerkiksi Englanti, koska monet ihmiset ympäri maailmaa, jotka voivat, kuten itse vaikea säveltää kokonaan poistettu kohta, standardi, joka tunnet riittää.

Joten älä - kirjoita se oma tyyli ja tehkäämme kääntämisestä.

Olen varma, että on niitä meille siellä, että voi tehdä omia kääntämisen ja pidän myös nähdä muita kieliä käyttää, koska se todella tekee tätä maailmanlaajuista arvostusta yhteiskunnassa, mikä on maailmanlaajuisesti moottoripyörä.

Tehty Google kääntää vain kiinni ja liitä

Antti You know it is not that difficult now to use several web based translators that allow you to understand any language to a reasonable level?
I believe that this site should make it clear that you do not need to write in a specific language - example English, as there are many folks around the world who may, like yourself find it difficult to compose a fully written paragraph to a standard that you feel is sufficient.

So don't - write it in your own style and let us do the translating.

I am sure that there are those of us out there that can do our own translating and I also like to see the other languages used because it really does make this a world wide appreciation society for what is a world wide motorcycle.

Done with Google translate just stick and paste
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Steve, i cant be without one short comment now: That Your (web) translation machine dont work at all, as i didnt understand anything what it translated. I find right words, but all was totally wrongly, so such translation machines CANT USE at all..... I understand much more better that Your english version.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AND how You can imagine, if i use such when those usa guys make allkind shortened versions of they words? :wacko: Is it SOOOO DIFFICULT to use just "normal basic english" here ??? :dunno:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

I have a poor English, too.
For sure, I manage to understand most of things, but I also have some troubles with the "shortened words".
Really, I can understand the easiest ones as ASAP or so, but I have some difficulty with any other shortenings.
So, I appreciate the people who try to write as clear as possible, as so as I can't understand the people who get in difficulty who is not English mothertongue.
Really, I like to write here to train myself with English, too.

About web translator.
Really, I have tried many times to employ it.
I don't know if that Finn translation has any Finn sense :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
I think those translations help to understand more or less the meaning of a sentence, but they are'nt accurate at all, by my experience.
So, that isn't a solution in most of cases.

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

The best thing about the translators is that they give you an idea of what the subject matter is about, sadly they do not help with the style of the language or the method of the comprehension in a language translation.

It does though allow for some expression and as I said allows you to say what you want in your own language.

I do agree that short text like abbreviations in a sentence, do not help when trying to understand a threads written structure.

As blazing 928 said local matters often really don't concern me so I tend to just read from an interested point of view and move on.

I also think those of us that speak the English language as a mother tongue do tend to assume that the whole world does too, a bit like the Spanish and the French have done with their own language in the past???? :lol: :lol:

Parasta kääntäjiä, että he antavat sinulle käsityksen siitä, mitä aihe on noin, valitettavasti ne eivät auta tyylin kanssa kieli tai menetelmä ymmärtämistä käännös.

Se ei kuitenkaan salli joidenkin ilmaisun ja kuten sanoin voit sanoa mitä haluat omalla kielellä.

Olen samaa mieltä, että lyhyt teksti kuin lyhenteet lauseen, ei auta kun yrittää ymmärtää viestiketjut kirjallinen rakenne.

Kuten paahtava 928 sanoi paikallinen asiat usein todella eivät koske minua niin minulla on tapana vain lukea kiinnostunut näkökulmasta ja liikkua.

Mielestäni myös ne meistä, jotka puhuvat Englanti kieli äidinkielenään eivät yleensä olettaa, että koko maailma ei liian, vähän kuin Espanjan ja Ranskan tehneet omaa kieltään viime?? : Lol:: lol:

La cosa migliore di traduttori è che ti danno un'idea di quello che la materia è di circa, purtroppo non aiutano con lo stile del linguaggio o il metodo della comprensione in una traduzione in lingua.

Lo fa anche prevedere una certa espressione e come ho detto ti permette di dire quello che volete nella vostra lingua.

Sono d'accordo che il testo breve come abbreviazioni in una frase, non aiutano quando si cerca di capire un thread scritto struttura.

Come sfolgorante 928 ha detto questioni locali spesso in realtà non riguardano me, così io tendo a leggere solo dal punto di vista interessato e andare avanti.

Penso anche quelli di noi che parlano la lingua inglese come lingua madre tendono ad assumere che il mondo intero non troppo, un po 'come gli spagnoli ei francesi hanno fatto con la propria lingua in passato??? : Lol:: lol:

翻訳についての最もよい事は、彼らはあなたの主題はについては、残念ながら、彼らは言語のスタイルや言語への翻訳の場合、読解のメソッドを使用して問題が解決しないもののアイデアを与えるということです。

これは、しかしいくつかの表現を可能にしないと私は言ったことができますあなたが自分自身の言語で何をしたいと言っている。

私は、文の省略形のような短いテキストを枠組みに合意を書いてスレッドを理解しようとすると、問題が解決しないでください。

928激怒は、ローカルな事項は、しばしば実際に私は、私はちょうどビューと移動の興味ポイントからの読み取り傾向が懸念しないで言ったように。

私もそんなことを母国語として英語を話す私たちのものは、全世界は、スペイン語、フランス語のようなビットは、過去に自分の言語でいるのだろうか?もしないことを前提とする傾向があると思いますか??? :笑::笑:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
nnnnnnorman
model: 906 Paso

Post by nnnnnnorman »

what ever you do and where ever you are from KEEP ON POSTING and KEEP THE PASO'S ALIVE. :) :cool: :thumbup:
1990 906 paso red and white
1991 906 paso black and gold
1997 ST2 red
2004 ccm r30 with 710 conversion
175 moto morini road race replica
a box of bits r100 bmw scrambler project
1962 rover 95 p4
1997 iveco daily
a non running xt600...stator needed
pasoist
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by pasoist »

for englishstiv:

I ran your google-translation through google-translator again, back from Finnish to English. See what happened? The outcome is actually very similar to what the first english-to-finnish-google-translation result was. I personally do not use internet-based translators, except for getting myself a good laugh. They just dont work very well.

The best translators, that they give you an idea of what the topic is about, unfortunately, they do not help with the style of the language or understanding of the method of translation.

However, it does allow for some expression, and as I said, you can say what you want in your language.

I agree that a short text abbreviations as a sentence, does not help when trying to understand the threads in a written structure.

As the blazing 928 said local issues often do not really apply to me so I tend to only read the interested point of view and move around.

I also think that those of us who speak English as their mother language are generally expected that the whole world does too, a bit like the Spanish and French have their own language has? : Lol:: lol:

Anyway, I wouldn´t want anyone leaving ducatipaso.org for any reason. If someone speaks English as a first language, then they should write to an english-languaged forum just like they were having a normal conversation and not tying to "oversimplify" their words. Those who arent so fluent in English should just do their best. I think most of the posts that I have read here on this forum, have been fairly easy to understand. (even yours Antti *tähän vapaavalintainen hymio*).

If someone uses the "shortened" words, that teenagers use on internet forums, such as OMG or LOL etc... in NORMAL SPEECH, then I guess they could use them on this forum too, but also I think they should see a doctor...

Same goes for excessive use of smileys in my opionin (or IMO, really if you can´t type a few more letters, then don´t even start typing at all), sometimes it´s hard to be certain if someone is joking or not when reading a written text, so a smiley at the end of the text can be helpful, but why on earth should there be twenty of them? *insert smiley here*
nnnnnnorman

Post by nnnnnnorman »

everyone is different. whats with all the 'rules'? :dunno: :dunno: :huh: :huh:
just write what you want and how you feel :thumbup: :cool: :-P :lol:
use as few or as many smilies as you like :x :oops: :zip: :|
just keep posting to keep the paso alive.
1997 ST2 red
1962 rover 95 p4
1997 iveco daily
pasoist
year: 1988

Post by pasoist »

nnnnnnorman wrote:... keep the paso alive.
Amen to that
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

keep the paso alive.

Amen to that

:thumbup:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
PasoRoo
year: 1987

Post by PasoRoo »

Antti,

It would be a shame if you felt you had to leave the forum because of a difficulty in communication. I appreciate that not everyone has the same level of understanding of English (my own mother tongue is Dutch) and sometimes it is easy to forget that certain expressions make no sense to non-English speakers. But in the end, your English is certainly a lot better than my Finnish!

I can't speak for other people here, but personally I would have no problem if someone asked me to explain if they didn't understand something I wrote in a post. Overall, I think everyone here is sincere enough in their efforts to want to help fellow Pasoists out with technical advice or with an explanation of some of the nonsense they write! :) (sorry, couldn't help adding a smiley)

Regards,

Mike
micklm
year: 1989

Post by micklm »

Hi all,

I must admit I didn't really 'get' how difficult it must be to use your second (or third etc) language to try and communicate technical conversation until I moved overseas from Australia.

Living in the Netherlands and working in the middle east, africa, asia etc has changed forever the way I speak english. It is not that I simplify my language, but I do try use a version that is most likely to be understood (I hope!).

A good reminder to those of us that speak english that it is a privilege that others learn our language.

Let's keep it global - there are to many single culture forums out there already!

Cheers,

Mick
906 Paso 1989 w/ 17in wheels :)
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

EVERYBODY, who write to these sites SHOULD think at least one thing: Here are very many such guys, who have poor english language (like me!), so they (and me) cant understand all what peopple write here, no matter they can really NEED some help to keep they Paso's in use as long as possible.
That`s a good point,
I think we all should have that in mind when posting here.

But,
language, both the spoken & written, changes as times goes by, whether we like it or not.
So a few newer things will sneak in.
Here a useful link: http://www.internetslang.com/

Smileys makes the climat here more friendly, I like that!

Come on, Antti, just support the Pasos!
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
nnnnnnorman

Post by nnnnnnorman »

antti supports the paso motorcycle just like we all do. lets all support each other and keep the paso alive! :lol: :cool: :) :thumbup:
1997 ST2 red
1962 rover 95 p4
1997 iveco daily