750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Re: Saved her life

Post by Andrew2 »

Thanks guys.I only turned the motor a couple of times to see if the starter worked and the motor turned.I'll definately put oil into the cylinders and check the belts etc before I fire her up.

I've thought about putting that extra strut in but thought I would get away without painting it.Looks like I'll be doing it now :lol: .

I read somewhere about spacers in the right hand side engine mounts?.What is that all about.
Are there any other Sports that have a rebuild report on here somewhere.Would be interesting to read.
Cheers
Andrew
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Are there any other Sports that have a rebuild report on here somewhere.Would be interesting to read.
I don`t think so. This was one attempt but unfortunately this topic wasn`t continued.
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3829
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

paso750 wrote:
I don`t think so. This was one attempt but unfortunately this topic wasn`t continued.
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3829
Thanks G,I'll check it out.One question I have.does anyone know of any other bike (any brand ) that has 40mm forks like the Sport.Seeing as my tubes are rusted I was thinking of maybe finding a front end off another bike with 40mm forks and possibly a 17" wheel.If not then I'll try and source some oem fork tubes,although I have read that the standard forks are rubbish.Another optionthat has crossed my mind is a complete frontend from an RGV250 and also a back wheel from the same bike.I've heard this is a common mod.

Cheers
Andrew
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Keep in mind that a different fork length, triple clamp offset etc will impact handling for better or worse.
Some bikes with 40mm stanchion tubes are ie. some Guzzis (LM4 or early California) or some older Kawa GPZ, early Yamaha Vmax etc. Of course you`ll run into other problems as these bikes have bigger brake discs and use brake calipers with a different mounting hole distance. The axles may be a different size so you may have to change wheel bearings if wanting to keep the original wheels, fitting the speedometer drive could become a problem and you may have to machine the fork legs or some spacers to center the wheel. The original front fender also won`t fit anymore.
Of course problems are less if you find a complete frontend but then you will still have the problem of the speedometer drive and correcting the chain alignment in case you go for different wheels. You`ll probably also need new spacers for the rear wheel then and maybe other bearings for rim and sprocket carrier.
In case the RGV250 frontend is a swap (which I know nothing about, not having a Sport) I wonder if it can be used as is as the Sport is quite a bit heavier. (128 vs. 195kg)

G.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Andrew2 wrote:I read somewhere about spacers in the right hand side engine mounts?.What is that all about?
Cheers
Andrew
The early models did not have the spacers on the right hand side between the engine and the frame. the later models did, which allowed the used of later 6 speed motors in the same frame. The spacer moved the engine over for better chainline. Judging by the monster offset of that spare countershaft sprocket you were given, you probably don't have the spacers on the right hand side.

As far as forks go, I will gladly sell you my spare set, but you have to pay shipping from California, which won't be cheap.
I am putting on a set of M1R forks on that once graced a Paso, and putting on 17" wheels.
You can search the posts for other comments on the front end. One option is a complete swap for a later model front end, wheel and all, like the one on that 900SS in your garage. Being a Paso man, you know all to well the curse of the 16" wheels/tires.

So your first major debate point in the restoration is whether you stay with 16" wheels, or go to 17"?
In the back its as easy as taking the wheel and brakes off that 900ss and putting it on the Sport. The front is more complicated, but swapping out the entire front end is one option. (not much there to save except history)

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Oh, and those rear turn signals are as rare as hens teeth. I haven't seen a good pair on a Sport before, except in the original tests of the bike.
everything but cheap (the ones at Stein Dinse are marked green/in stock)
http://www.ducati-gowanloch.com/catalog ... foohusnvvr
http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Ducati/Elekt ... 52101.html
bobbyb13
year: 1989

Post by bobbyb13 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-FORK-A ... 256b0efe4d

Just found this on eBay, might be of use if you want to keep it original.

Good luck with the rebuild, mine has slowed down due to finances.

Cheers, Rob.
1989 Ducati Sport 750
1995 Ducati Monster 600
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

"paso750"In case the RGV250 frontend is a swap (which I know nothing about, not having a Sport) I wonder if it can be used as is as the Sport is quite a bit heavier. (128 vs. 195kg)

G.
I think the RGV front end would be strong enough but the springs would have to be upgraded.Also the wheels look the same as Ducati rims.If not there is always a GSXR front end.The only reason I mention these is because they are a lot to get them out here than Ducati front ends.I'm just thinking out loud at the moment and gathering different ideas and of course I value any ideas and input you guys have :thumbup: .

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

ducinthebay wrote:
Andrew2 wrote:I read somewhere about spacers in the right hand side engine mounts?.What is that all about?
Cheers
Andrew
The early models did not have the spacers on the right hand side between the engine and the frame. the later models did, which allowed the used of later 6 speed motors in the same frame. The spacer moved the engine over for better chainline. Judging by the monster offset of that spare countershaft sprocket you were given, you probably don't have the spacers on the right hand side.

As far as forks go, I will gladly sell you my spare set, but you have to pay shipping from California, which won't be cheap.
I am putting on a set of M1R forks on that once graced a Paso, and putting on 17" wheels.
You can search the posts for other comments on the front end. One option is a complete swap for a later model front end, wheel and all, like the one on that 900SS in your garage. Being a Paso man, you know all to well the curse of the 16" wheels/tires.

So your first major debate point in the restoration is whether you stay with 16" wheels, or go to 17"?
In the back its as easy as taking the wheel and brakes off that 900ss and putting it on the Sport. The front is more complicated, but swapping out the entire front end is one option. (not much there to save except history)

Cheers,
The reason I asked is because it does have spacers between the engine and frame on the right hand side.I'll get some photos tonight and post them up so you can have a look.
Thankyou for the offer for your forks.It's still early days and I will have to have a good think about which direction i will end up going,16" or 17" wheels,original front end or alternative front end etc.I'll keep it in the memory bank though.I know the Michelins are no longer available and have been researching alternatives but to be honest I have'nt seen any that really inspire me to keep the 16's.I do think they suit the bike though.
I'll swap the rear wheel off the SS and see what it looks like.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

bobbyb13 wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-FORK-A ... 256b0efe4d

Just found this on eBay, might be of use if you want to keep it original.

Good luck with the rebuild, mine has slowed down due to finances.

Cheers, Rob.
Thanks Rob,I had a look at that one.I'm in the same boat mate....no money left :,( .I'm going to start with the cheap option...elbow grease :lol: .I'll get the motor running then drop it and get the old paint off and new on.Clean the wheels up and powder coat the frame.What are you up to with yours mate?.

Cheers
Andrew
Bock900r
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Bock900r »

Wow, a lot of work to do...
Rüdiger
88 GPZ 900R
888 SP4
907ie Black
907ie Red
907 evo (project)
998 Matrix
998s FE
V50 Monza
MV Agusta 750 Evo2
ZXR750RR-K
ZXR750RR-M
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Bock900r wrote:Wow, a lot of work to do...
Definately...but it should be fun ( I hope :lol: )

Cheers
A2
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Are these the spacers.

Front right.

Rear right.

I also have one on the rear left.

My compliance plate says 12/1988.

Cheers
A2
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

It`s painful to see no single aluminium part where the paint hasn`t bubbled from oxidation. :oops:
The ground connections don`t look much better. I hope the other electrical contacts do.

G.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Ok, I need to do some measurements to get to the bottom of this spacer thing. I hadn't seen the one on the back left of the engine before.
Also, the spacers look small to me. I'm wondering how many versions of the frame they made now.

I'll measure my spacers to see what I have. Mine is a California issue 1989.

As G. pointed out, with all that corroded aluminum, you will need to spend a considerable amount of time on the electrical connections.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.