Another 1990 Sport

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
hdhracerx
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Another 1990 Sport

Post by hdhracerx »

Howdy,

I know it's wrong to love these bikes, but I do. I was sweet on them when they hit the market as I was a big fan of the 750f1 back then. I rode with some folks at the time who had pasos and even 888/851 models, but at the time it was beyond my means so I could only dream.

Not sure why I've waited so long to locate one and slide it into the garage, but finally I have. Sold my 749 a while back, and I've missed my weekly(at least) dose of ducati magic.

It's a 90 sport - straight, clean original with some sweet sounding feracci pipes. Dellorto conversion was done before I found it along with a few other small mods. Seems to be crack-free and overall in solid mechanical shape. I'm servicing it now.

Also, I'll be preparing for regular street and occasional track duty. Most importantly I'm collecting what I can for a 17" conversion. Picked up a set of wheels off a monster - 3.5 front, 4.5 rear. Be stripping those down for powdercoat tomorrow. Shiny black I think.

As for the brake set up front / rear I'm still trying to fully understand my options. I would prefer to keep the same front rotor size along with stock caliper location, but not sure if this is even possible. As for the rear, the rotor from the Monster is quite a bit smaller than the stock Duc rotor. Again, in an ideal world I'd find a larger rear rotor for that Monster wheel so I don't have to move / swap the rear caliper. I guess I also need to find a reliable source for front and rear axle spacers.

I will welcome any personal experience as to the best source(s) for the rest of the 17" conversion bits I need can be found.

Once I get the wheels all set, I think I'll try to locate a slightly longer shock then start putting some miles on it!

Still trying to figure out how to post photos, but I'll get it shortly and follow up...

Ride Safe, Ride Often

hdh
hdhracerx

Re: Another 1990 Sport

Post by hdhracerx »

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... /DucSport/

perhaps this link will work if you'd like to take a look at my bike and bits...
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Hi & welcome,

as for the brakes there are no bigger ones than the 280mm for the original 16" wheels unless you make something. There are not many other brake discs that have such a big inner diameter so alternatives you possibly could adapt with a custom spacer are limited.
In case you swap for 4 piston Brembo calipers with 40mm mounting hole distance you could go for 300mm discs on your 17" wheels. The drawings for the caliper mounting adapters can be found in the download thread on top of the P750 forum. These adapters fit for 280mm discs and if you turn them upside down for 300mm. That would be one option.

For posting photos just go into your photobucket account, checkmark all pictures you want to post and then scroll to the bottom to the drop down "choose action" menu and select "generate link codes ...". Click in the field that says "full size" (those are the links starting with [img]...) and paste the links in your editing window via right mouse click and "paste". That`s it.

G.
hdhracerx

Post by hdhracerx »

Thanks, yep, saw the bracket drawings and examples. Sounds like I'll be forced to go that route - is anyone making these around the SF bay area, or is it a full DIY proposition?

The styling of the brackets seems a bit clunky for the bike, but I can live with it to keep the stock fork.

As for photobucket, I'm still trying to follow all the instructions and figure it out. Could you tell me under which tab I could find the option you're suggesting on a drop down menu? I've searched around in all the Album tabs I can find and nowhere does the option you suggest appear yet. I'm using photobucket for the first time though, so I'll keep working with it today and eventually I'll get it.

After posting this last night, I woke up wanting to go for a little ride!

Thanks for any help!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Just log in and scroll to very bottom of that page and you`ll find the "choose action" tab. (of course that only works if you checkmarked some pictures).

The aftermarket brake caliper adapters are the same for some Guzzi or Laverda. There are some shops that have them. Would have to check.

G.
hdhracerx

Post by hdhracerx »

Thanks!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40mm-Billet-Bra ... 3f06b90f36

https://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=925

you may get them cheaper somewhere else or if you get them made. It doesn`t say for which brake disc diameter the first adapters are 280/300mm or 300/320mm.

Would you add your location to your profile ?
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Here you go mate.

Put your mouse over the photo you wnt to copy.4 options will come up.Go down to IMG code and click on it.It will turn to copied.Go to your message box and left click then past.Done.

Nice bike too.I look forward to seeing your results with the wheels.

Cheers
A2
hdhracerx

Post by hdhracerx »

https://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=1430

I'm not totally familiar with all the nuances of the front ends on these bikes, but wouldn't these rotors bolt up to the Monster front wheel and also work with the stock calipers in the stock position?

:thumbup: I appreciate the help with photo posting. Still can't find the location of the photobucket aspects you mention, but I do like the copy/paste short cut.

I'm in Santa Cruz, CA - added my location to my profile - thanks for reminding me as I missed it during my profile setup. Need to get on my work computer to create a proper avatar.

Ordered new belts, filter and olio today - need to swap/ change for safety. Motor sounds really really good though as is.

Lastly, I was wrong - actually hadn't looked if you can believe it - my bike has Mikuni, not Dellorto carbs as I thought I was told from PO. Warm up circuit seems a bit funky with some back firing and missing until its really warm once off the full choke. Any pointers regarding tuning on these or some place to point me to learn?

Thanks!
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

hdhracerx wrote:
:thumbup: I appreciate the help with photo posting. Still can't find the location of the photobucket aspects you mention, but I do like the copy/paste short cut.

Thanks!

Try this mate.It's the same as the way I mentioned so should give you a better idea.Don't forget to hover your mouse arrow over the photo you want so as bring up the drop down box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jehxvujkalM

Cheers
Andrew
hdhracerx

Post by hdhracerx »

Nice tutorial. Love my Rizoma tail turn sigs. Now, to find matching fronts...

Thanks!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I'm not totally familiar with all the nuances of the front ends on these bikes, but wouldn't these rotors bolt up to the Monster front wheel and also work with the stock calipers in the stock position?
I doubt it but you better ask for the measurements. Some earlier Ducs used discs with 24,5mm offset and 80mm inner diameter. The 300/320mm disc from later Ducs have 5mm offset, 64mm inner and 80mm mounting hole diameter.

But I think for that price getting adapters, calipers and 30mm brake discs is still cheaper. Check the 907ie FAQs, you`ll see the same discs are used on several Yamahas.

Regarding the Mikunis I wonder from which bike they originally came from and if the jetting is still the original. Sources could be 600/750/900 Supersport/Monster, Cagiva Elefant or Yamaha 850 TDM, TRX.
You probably have no airbox and with the aftermarket exhaust you may need a different jetting.
You will find infos about rebuilding it here
http://www.box.com/public/oq4fober14
and general info how to jet it correctly here
http://ducatipaso.org/docs/general/carb ... manual.zip
Mikuni section from a Cagiva Elefant workshop manual (incl. the jetting pages from the SS)
http://www.box.com/s/i6j5ya41l0hy5afaeboo

G.