Problem displaying not viewed messages in forum

Chat about anything not Paso related here
lceriani
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Problem displaying not viewed messages in forum

Post by lceriani »

I have problem displaying not viewed messages in the topic list of the forums: sometimes all the not-yet-read messages have the correct white icon, but sometimes they all become red and I can't distinguish already read messages from newest ones... does anyone has the same problem?

LC
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

I don't think I've had that problem, Luca, but I'll watch for it.
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

Do you use the "back" button on your browser to return to the index, or do you just click on the link on the page?

If you click on the index link at the top of the page, your browser probably reloads it. If it reloads, it will only tag messages as new if they were posted while you were reading the first message.

There may also be a setting in the preferences of the browser that asks how often it should check for updates or something like that. Could be loading a new version of the page even if you use the back button? I don't know... just an idea...

I've not had that problem here by the way.
-Craig
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

I uses both back button and index link, but I can't replicate the problem systematically... but I guess that if you all have not the same problem, then it's probably caused by my browser.
Thanks,

LC
Paul
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

Luca,

Do you ever receive "Topic Reply Notification" messages and click on these to look at a specific message, then exit ? If you do it seems to reset when you last looked at the forum.

I don't think the website flags the individual messages as read / unread for each member. What I think it does is keep a "date / time of last access" and it uses this to display the topic status. Therefore, if you use the Topic Reply Notification to view a topic that you have been watching, then leave the site, it updates this date / time flag. Next time you go to the site it only shows as unread those items that have been created / modified since you clicked on the Topic Reply Notification hyperlink.

This would also explain why some people had a problem when the system date got messed up.

Paul