Flat Slide Keihin's

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Flat Slide Keihin's

Post by bmw851 »

Does anyone know much about these, have picked up a was running well '89 750 Sport with all of 5200km on it (yes it's true) which I'm doing a minor restoration on, and it has a set fitted, the bike has been in storge for god knows how long, few bits perished with age but all over fairly good, have been trawling through the site which has a great wealth of info on it, love the one about changing the belts with pictures and arrows is good stuff (have new belts ready to go), but haven't come across anything about the Keikin's good, bad or indifferent, so not a popular conversion?, the ones on mine have just popped the float needles so an exhuast full of fuel, not alot of fun, bike is nearly completely original apart from the carbs, and the fairing lowers being cut off, which will be fixed in time, and is intened to look as original as possible barring the Conti's, use to own 600 Pantah's back in the day so the motors vaguely familiar, but don't know Oil Capicity for engine or grade of fork oil and amount, torque values for axle bolts etc.
3 quarters finished
3 quarters finished
29.JPG (210.99 KiB) Viewed 9050 times
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Flat Slide Keihin's

Post by ducinthebay »

Those carbs would be the FCR's if I'm not mistaken. Most likely the 38mm version. It is arguably the best carb you can buy for hopping up a Ducati engine. Search for FCR and you find a little bit about them. they mount on standard intake manifolds from an SS or Monster. Very popular with the SS and Monster owners. If you need more tuning or rebuilding advice, you would find it on one of those forums. Its a good choice of carb, but only a few here have used them, mostly due to the cost (up to $1k for a full conversion).
No choke/cold start circuit, so you need to hold the throttle for a while on a cold morning.

Welcome to the site. Nice looking bike.
Are you looking for lower fairings or do you have some already?

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

The Keihin FCRs exist as 39 and 41mm versions and a dual carb or two singles like on yor bike.
It seems the ones on your bike only have velocity stacks and no filters which I`d change for the sake of the engine.
If you check the download section or the downloads thread on top of the P750 forum you`ll find all manuals about the Sport and the FCRs.

I wonder if that open crankcase breather tube exiting below the licence plate holder is so good. You should at least add a small filter.

G.

PS: are those mounting stand knobs on your swingarm welded on on just screwed in?
giocast
model: 900 SS

Post by giocast »

Whilst the most common FCR's pairs available are 39 or 41, Keihin manufactured many other sizes including 38/40/42 don't you know ;) (lovely bike by the way)
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Thanks for that guys, will delve deeper into the site, just measured them and they are 39mm, have found the distributor for Oz so can now order a rebuild kit for them. Yeah the crank breather pipe is fairly dodgey and will look at doing something a bit neater, the rear race spools are a temp I drilled/tapped/fitted just so I could work on it upright and get the back wheel out for new rubber etc. they will be removed and the holes plugged. Parts of the bike have come up like new, other bits should be replaced but don't have the budget at the moment, stupid thing is I was getting it ready to take in for a Engineers Certificate which is required here for a direct (grey) import from another country in this case Japan, to be able to register it and was doing a final check over and thought Hmm is something leaking fuel, just knew it was all going to well, Murphy had to stick his hand in somewhere.

I do have the fairing lowers and am looking at making up some joiner plates and using Dzus fasteners, but do quite like the look without as well, main thing is to get it road registered here and them start on major things likes respraying the engine, polishing the edges of the engine fins and so so, yes I have a plan and can picture the finished bike in my head, sad really, I was going to write one should get a life, but this my life at the moment, and it's all good.

Again thanks for the replies, and will post updates as it comes along, am now itching to get it out on track as well, but I'll be gentle with this one.
Attachments
Who said I'm not OC
Who said I'm not OC
26.JPG (62.48 KiB) Viewed 9742 times
And so it starts
And so it starts
7.JPG (83.37 KiB) Viewed 9021 times

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Nice find mate.It's in better shape than mine.We're not far away from each other,I'm in Wollongong.

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Andrew2 wrote:Nice find mate.It's in better shape than mine.We're not far away from each other,I'm in Wollongong.

Cheers
Andrew
Gidday Andrew,

Just went through your restoration post, good lord, dang your a braver man than me, :choo:

The level of advice and info available on this site is amazing, I've gone from basically nothing to having a owners manual/parts manual (I reckon the exploded views are better sometimes) and a workshop manual which are all from this site, can't thank these guys enough.

Judging by your other bikes at least you know your way around them, this my 1st Ducati in over 25 years (this is my 6th Ducati 1x Mark 2 Single, 3 Pantah's and a "Drama" :banghead: ).

Anyways will keep an eye on resto post's, got to see the eventual finished bike, again dang what huge job.

I'm in Springwood.

Cheers

Peter

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Brave.......I could think of some more appropriate words :shock: :lol: :lol:.Things have come to a standstill this last month but I'm hoping to get stuck into it again next week.I'd love to meet up when you get it regoed.Maybe at Picton for a quick run out to Warragamba Dam lookout.

Cheers
Andrew
Mustang505

Post by Mustang505 »

Hi
I fitted a set of these approx 6 months ago to my sport (look a bit further down the list of topics) and they have transformed the bike. You are "very" lucky to pick up a bike with these fitted. I went through the "can't get the weber to run phase" to fitting 38mm Mikunis off the newer 750 SS and finally picked a pair of 39mm FCRs i could afford. I race my sport in Bears & Classic racing here in NZ and these really are the biz. Only difference is mine are paired onto inlets off the 750 SS models. If you are going to use the bike on the track - track days etc - don't bother with filters, I read they were designed to run best with the velocity stacks you have fitted. If you have any issues just shout I might be able to help.
Cheers
Clive
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Thanks Clive,

I plan to leave them as is, won't be riding it enough to worry about filters.

Read your post, should have looked bit further down the page D'Oh! lower pressure pump is interesting, I suspect this could be an on going problem, but will wait and see.

Only plan the one track day on it at the moment, have other things to go out and scare myself on at Eastern Creek.

My racing days finished in 1990, was running a proper BMW (Air Head) in the BEARS series here, to old and to slow, me and the bike:shock: now just a track day junkie, no pressure to have to go fast all the time and a lot fun cough cough "dicing" with other riders, particularly love the look on the young un's faces when I take my helmet off in the pits (coming up to 53).

Maybe old but not dead yet.

Although having said that, this thing might suprise me.

Cheers

Peter

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I wonder if the milliseconds you might gain with no filters are worth getting dirt in the cylinders. There are filter sock you just pull over the velocity stacks.

giocast, I know there are other Keihin sizes, but the 39 and 41 is the usual that`s being sold in retail. The others usually come from some jap bikes. There is in fact also a 38 or 39 with choke.

G.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

(coming up to 53).

Maybe old but not dead yet.

Ah 53, such fond memories, before the parts started fallin off :beer: :beer:
and learning to shave my ears :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I've learnt not to stand next to my 14 y.o. son when we stop for a leak.He starts after me,finishes before me and piddles twice as far as me.Old age :banghead: :oops: :lol:
giocast
model: 900 SS

Post by giocast »

paso750 wrote:
giocast, I know there are other Keihin sizes, but the 39 and 41 is the usual that`s being sold in retail.

G.
Still needed clarifying though Gerhard, hope you are generally well (as well as awake) :thumbup:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

seems like springtime is finally starting so it`s all good here :thumbup: :)