Oil for 906 paso

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
bmw518
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Oil for 906 paso

Post by bmw518 »

Hello, newbie here with 1989 Paso 906. Probably a tread about this here (cant find it)
but what kind of oil is the best for my Paso? I was thinking of mineral 20-50 , (castrol classic)
but might be better with some synthetic or semi synthetic stuff...?
Can oil for cars be used, or do you have to go for bike oil.

Regards Bard
stigonpaso
year: 1990

Re: Oil for 906 paso

Post by stigonpaso »

For what its worth I use Mobil 1 V-twin 20w-50. I'm only guessing here, but maybe an oil with zinc would be best for Ducati valve train. I don't know if the Mobil has zinc in it but Valvoline VR1 Racing 20w-50 does.

Maybe you local dealer can help ya. The 906 engine was used on other modern ducati's like the monsters and 900ss..........although they are air cooled vs the "liquid cooled" Paso 906's....... that might makes a difference in the oil you should use....

Anyway good luck and welcome :beer: This place is full of good people (and smart) who are always willing to help.

-Conor

P.S. What color is your 906?
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers . The local ducati guru is adamant that mineral oil is the go ... but I tend to go for something semi synthetic usually valvoline syn speed , but I can be swayed by a bargin ( not forsaking quality tho ). I think that if you thrash it , lots of hi revs etc then go for extra good quality and change often , me , who hardly ever goes over 7 grand use semi synthetic and change it every 3-4000 km's with a filter every 2nd change , and you can save a shitload of dollars by not using ducati branded filters ( citroen 2cv ones fit ) . there are posts here advising of alternate parts supplies ( in the p750 forum F A Q's )
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Duc906

Post by Duc906 »

Welcome to the forum Bard
There is a thread here http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4329 but it doesn't really give a definitive answer to the question. I've had my 906 for 23+ years and have always used the Ducati recommended 20/50 mineral oil and changed it every 5000km religiously with no issue. Like Mc tool says, everyone has a different opinion.

p.s.What is your location?
redchubeka

Post by redchubeka »

...and what about the sticker on the bike that invite to use SINT 2000 (oil for car) ?

take a look at this...
http://youtu.be/ZdXknUNb4sY?t=1m17s
Ducati Paso 906 grey 1990
Bmw K100rs 4v rot metallic 1992
Aprilia Tuareg Rally 1986
bmw518

Post by bmw518 »

stigonpaso wrote:
P.S. What color is your 906?
Thank you Conor, mine is red and white with white rims.
Here is an iphone-pictures of it (not great quality)
Pretty much original i think (anyone whom can se something wrong ? ), only small mod is some 2 inch aluminium
brackets to get exhaust a little lower in the rear, made by previous owner
because his lady had to long legs to fit the footbars when she sat behind him.
Might gonna put that beack to original possision again (have parts)
Dont think there are many 906 Paso up here in Norway....

Last edited by bmw518 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bmw518

Post by bmw518 »

Duc906 wrote:Welcome to the forum Bard
There is a thread here http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4329 but it doesn't really give a definitive answer to the question. I've had my 906 for 23+ years and have always used the Ducati recommended 20/50 mineral oil and changed it every 5000km religiously with no issue. Like Mc tool says, everyone has a different opinion.

p.s.What is your location?
Thanks for good tip :) I am located in Norway, here up north it isn`t
long ago since the snow was on the roads, now it is drying up and the temperatur is great .....
Not that many winter-Duc pics here are there :)

bmw518

Post by bmw518 »

Mc tool wrote:Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers . The local ducati guru is adamant that mineral oil is the go ... but I tend to go for something semi synthetic usually valvoline syn speed , but I can be swayed by a bargin ( not forsaking quality tho ). I think that if you thrash it , lots of hi revs etc then go for extra good quality and change often , me , who hardly ever goes over 7 grand use semi synthetic and change it every 3-4000 km's with a filter every 2nd change , and you can save a shitload of dollars by not using ducati branded filters ( citroen 2cv ones fit ) . there are posts here advising of alternate parts supplies ( in the p750 forum F A Q's )

Thank you for good tip :) Think i am gonna use this type.....
I think that is a good quality oil for her.

higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

The reality of oil is really pretty simple.
The folks that do oil analysis will all tell you the same thing.

Consumers are where the different opinions are and it all comes down to advertising.

Advertising from the people selling oil.

OIL IS OIL

Additives are additives

Heat and contamination determine the lubricating quality of oil and therefore the oils
useful life.

If you filter out the contaminants and properly control the oil temperature your oil regardless of viscosity and brand will last indefinitely.

The filters engines come with are a trade off between filtration and oil pressure and to some degree fuel mileage. There are better filters to supplement( not replace) the standard filter.

Additives are meant to extend the life of oil by decreasing the effect of heat and contamination on oil and to enhance the oil properties for different engine applications. Both the type of engine and what the engine is used for. Big rig hauling diesel or small high revving sprint racing snowmobile. Wet clutch or dry clutch. Does the oil also have to lubricate the transmission. Most oils these days do both.

Moisture changes the viscosity of oil as does overheating. That is why additives came about
Additives do not by themselves increase the useful life of any oil. They do in some situations prevent engine damage when the oil looses or changes viscosity but for a price.
Changing your oil is more useful and you need to have your oil tested to know when the time to change your oil is at hand or stick to a regular schedule which lessens the chance of increased engine wear.

Morale of all this:
Use whatever oil your bike or car manufacturer recommends. There is plenty of documentation on the web to sort out what brand fits the requirements for type of oil.

Have your oil tested or change it on a regular schedule.
Spend your oil dollars as you see fit.

Think about improving the filtration of your oil, it is the only effective way to increase oil performance and life.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Hey bmw851 that bike looks just like mine 'cept mine has a red seat .
These ones are the coolest ! You can have your blacks and blues and even some white ones but red on top and white below are the best, mine is an opal white . Yeah! them mufflers are a bit low but then a girlfriend with long legs aint a bad trade-off ( mine's are a bit sawn off :lol: ) mmmmmm but I spose that if you didnt lower the foot pegs ( bars ) she would have to lift her knees up a bit and ... well ( you can see the line of thought here :P ) ..... yeah ! and they don't like being groped whilst on the move either , mostly coz there's bugger all they can do about it.... with one hand on the throttle and the other :) :) ,probly not the best time to be thumping you between the shoulder blades ( usual form of negative communication ). thinkin' about it thats probly why back protectors were invented .... nothing to do with racing :D
Duc906

Post by Duc906 »

Mc tool wrote:Hey bmw851 that bike looks just like mine 'cept mine has a red seat .
And a lot more scratches. :lol: :lol:
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Yeah ! that was really dumb . We lived on the Takaka hill ( lots of 1st gear twisties ) and for 2 days whilst driving to and from work I had noticed a 100mm wide stripe of something on the uphill side of the road, all the way up the hill , and I also noticed it on Saturday morning when I rode down the hill on the paso, and on the way home , for some un fathomable reason I rode right over it on a 1st gear peg dragger of a corner and down we went...... what can I say ? :banghead:
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I put Mobil 1 in mine.

But Bard, the thing I notice about your bike is that it is still shod in those awful old Michelin radial tyres! They will be hard as a rock, and dangerous as all hell! Recommend that you take it very easy on these tyres, and make an order with the new Italian crowd which is now making the correct size tyres again.
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"
bmw518

Post by bmw518 »

Mobius wrote:I put Mobil 1 in mine.

But Bard, the thing I notice about your bike is that it is still shod in those awful old Michelin radial tyres! They will be hard as a rock, and dangerous as all hell! Recommend that you take it very easy on these tyres, and make an order with the new Italian crowd which is now making the correct size tyres again.
Yeah...i know, they are old. Bike been sitting long time in storage.
I actually took it in as a part trade for a car (Saab Sonett) that i sold.
Might use some new rubber....
bmw518

Post by bmw518 »

Mc tool wrote:Hey bmw851 that bike looks just like mine 'cept mine has a red seat .
These ones are the coolest ! You can have your blacks and blues and even some white ones but red on top and white below are the best, mine is an opal white . Yeah! them mufflers are a bit low but then a girlfriend with long legs aint a bad trade-off ( mine's are a bit sawn off :lol: ) mmmmmm but I spose that if you didnt lower the foot pegs ( bars ) she would have to lift her knees up a bit and ... well ( you can see the line of thought here :P ) ..... yeah ! and they don't like being groped whilst on the move either , mostly coz there's bugger all they can do about it.... with one hand on the throttle and the other :) :) ,probly not the best time to be thumping you between the shoulder blades ( usual form of negative communication ). thinkin' about it thats probly why back protectors were invented .... nothing to do with racing :D

:lol: :lol: lol...... funny there, nice bike you have, but you really should se mu girlfriend :cool: Was red saddle original colour on the Paso ?