Limited Edition 750 sport

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
LimitedEdition
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Limited Edition 750 sport

Post by LimitedEdition »

Hello, New to the world of ducati.

I have just purchased a Limited Edition 1989 750 Sport, one of 95. The silver and black kind, possibly the nicest bike I will ever own. Although its a rough ride and the seating position is odd, its surprisingly comfortable to ride. She's only done 15,000 miles since 1990 still a new bike!

I would love to get in touch with anyone else that has one, even better if its the same paint scheme as mine.

Comments welcome, she still needs a good polish after 10 years in a shed.

Cheers, Alex
st2sam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Re: Limited Edition 750 sport

Post by st2sam »

Welcome Alex.
Good luck with your new Ducati... :thumbup:
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Welcome to the site. Good to have another Sport owner around.
I have known of that paint job, but never have seen one. It indeed is rare. Love to see some close ups to see what else they changed, if anything.
Give it a good wash, polish, change the fluids and belts, and those tires too. Like all older bikes, you need to massage them a bit to get to know them.
Lots of good info on the FAQ sections, and of course the endless tire threads.

Cheers,
Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
pasoist
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by pasoist »

a really nice bike.

I especially like the paint scheme, kinda makes me wish I had money to buy one particular S750 here in Finland.
LimitedEdition

Post by LimitedEdition »

Thanks for the comments, I've been riding it around town and the only fault is the clutch sticking at high rpm's. I've not got past 5,000rpm as I'm just breaking her in. She's getting oil and filter on wednesday and the clutch taken apart and given a good clean. As soon as I have some more money I'll get her fully serviced, the insurance messed up and I need to pay for two policies and get a refund from one of them so it could be next week.

I'll get some proper pictures when its a nice day out, typical scottish borders hehe.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Oil and filter is of course the highest on the list, but with this bike the belts and clutch are right behind it. Take the time to take the clutch piston out and flush the old brake fluid and junk that accumulates over 20 years, and repack that bearing. They work just fine when serviced properly, but can fail catastrophically is not maintained. You can find some posts about it on the site, just use the Search function, and of course ask questions if you get stuck.

What do you mean that the clutch is sticking at higher rpm? Is it slipping? The clutch usually doesn't have ailments relative to RPM, but you may have discovered a new problem.

You will love this bike over 5k rpm. Thats where all the fun begins. As a general rule, thats where I do most of my riding.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
LimitedEdition

Post by LimitedEdition »

Yeah I meant slipping lol. Just got corrected today, well even not going above 5,000rpm (still treating her like a new bike) she did 150kmh which was bloody suprising, I think its just showing its age. I've added the clutch to the service list + belts so they're all going to get fixed tomorrow :D I better go see the mechanic and finalise a price.

Cheers, Alex
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

My top speed is just over 120 mph , almost 200 kph.

What carbs do you have on it?

Seems you also have a 2 into 1 exhaust? What brand?

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
LimitedEdition

Post by LimitedEdition »

ducinthebay wrote:My top speed is just over 120 mph , almost 200 kph.

What carbs do you have on it?

Seems you also have a 2 into 1 exhaust? What brand?

Cheers, Phil

I honestly have no idea on the carbs, where can I find the brand name on them? It's getting serviced tomorrow so I'll get the mechanic to check while he has everything off (the bike of course :choo: )

The exhaust is a Corti 2 into one, its absolutely ridiculous I think the baffles have been taken out too it's that loud! Well compared to my other bikes it seems very loud, here's a quick video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPvryqsO ... el&list=UL

Cheers, Alex
LimitedEdition

Post by LimitedEdition »

Oh and what timing belts would everyone recommend? I'm probably not going to be able to afford real ducati ones so does anyone know any other good brands?

Oh and it looks like there are a possible 94 limited edition ones left

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzfnQhSH ... =endscreen

If only they knew that paint job haha
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Well, for carbs, you have a few options. First is the stock Weber two barrel. Didn't run very well originally, but many on this list have found the tricks to make them purr. Do the Search thing.
Or you may have the popular modification of putting Dellorto carbs on them. Usually PFM 36mm.
Or you could have Mikuni carbs from a later SS, or some Kehin FCR carbs (nice carbs) Look at your carbs and read some of the posts to see what you have. last resort, take a picture and post it.

Those pipes are nice. Yes, they are loud, but some would say its properly loud. This is not a bike to sneak away from your married mistress in the early morning hours, but instead boldly state that you are now going home to the wife. There are many here that would gladly take those off your hands. Post a few more pics of your bike and we can determine more.

If you don't have much money to spend on a mechanic, i suggest you spend some money on some spanners and start working on the bike yourself. A 23 year old Italian bike needs constant fiddling to keep her happy, much like your 23 year old mistress. But the rewards are worth the price of admission.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
LimitedEdition

Post by LimitedEdition »

Really? May I ask why people would be interested in the cans? It does sound nice although I have to pull the clutch in every time a policeman comes past just incase haha, the clutch is playing up again but its not doing too bad. It was found in a shed after 11 years off the road (11 since last tax date but the guy said 10 incase I said 10 earlier) It's not been serviced and I've not touched it since it was found. So the fact that its still running and keeping up with the other bikes shows it was great value for money. I'll learn to service the bike myself in time, I only have a bike tent so once we get a better house with a proper shed/garage I'll have no excuse haha.

Its at the garage again today getting serviced so I can't get any pictures, Ducati have said it will be roughly £120 for the belts is this a normal price?

Cheers, Alex
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

At approx £40 for the belts plus an hours labour I'd have expected more like £80 - £90.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
ir_joep

Post by ir_joep »

Hi Alex,

Welcome to our site.

Love your bike. Nice colour scheme. I have seen 1 on sale in Germany about 2 years ago. Never seen one in the flesh.

If you need help please contact us

Cheers Joep
LimitedEdition

Post by LimitedEdition »

ir_joep wrote:Hi Alex,

Welcome to our site.

Love your bike. Nice colour scheme. I have seen 1 on sale in Germany about 2 years ago. Never seen one in the flesh.

If you need help please contact us

Cheers Joep

Thanks :) She's in the garage at the moment, getting a nice shiney set of clutch plates.