Adjusting tail light sensitivity for front brake?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Mobius
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Adjusting tail light sensitivity for front brake?

Post by Mobius »

Greets all. I just noticed that my brake light doesn't come on until I am applying quite a bit of braking force - too much to make me feel safe. (The rear brake comes on instantly though - but I do not always use it.)

I have the lever adjusted so that it is as far away from the bar as possible, because otherwise I couldn't get maximum braking without squashing my other fingers; the adjustment screw is all the way in.

How can I set the brake light so it comes on as soon as brake just very lightly on the front? Cheers!
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"
JWilliam
year: 1989

Re: Adjusting tail light sensitivity for front brake?

Post by JWilliam »

Can't be done can it? The switch is hydraulically activated and is part of the pipe union above the front wheel. I haven't seen any form of adjuster although I expect the switch can be replaced.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Depending on your brake pump you can add a brake light switch. If you don`t have the two holes I guess you can make them yourself ...
Then just disconnect the pressure switch and wire up the electric switch. It will react sooner and faster.
G.
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Mobius,

First up remove the push on wire connectors at the hydraulic switch and give everything a really good clean. This might help the connection to the tail lamp. If it does not help, then the hydraulic switch is failing. They are still available from your Ducati shop, but as usual they are a bit pricey (have replaced it twice over the years). Last time I started looking for an automotive substitute (Repco etc) but the diameter was too small, but did not persue as at the same time I changed the brake calipers and ended up buying a new master cylinder/lever which came with an inbuilt micro switch.
Cheers,
Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
Mobius
year: 1990

Post by Mobius »

Thanks Gents. I'll try fixing first. Cheers!
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"