Rubbing noise

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
LimitedEdition
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Rubbing noise

Post by LimitedEdition »

Hello again. Hope I'm not making too many new topics.

Whilst on a 198 mile run I pulled in the clutch and heard a loud rubbing noise (even in neutral.)

It doesn't do it every single time I pull the clutch in, and the clutch is brand new (like 2 months old tops.)

It has plenty of oil in the engine, what could it be?

Really worried.

Also has brand new tyres :P

Cheers, Alex
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Re: Rubbing noise

Post by ducinthebay »

Pull off the clutch cover to see that everything is good inside. If there is spare bit dancing around inside, it may give you an intermittent noise. Its only a few bolts, and you should clean it up every once in a while regardless (unless its vented as some covers are)

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
LimitedEdition

Post by LimitedEdition »

I was panicking alittle bit as the clutch is only months old the end of the lay shaft was rubbing against the case (looked like abit of rust) so I cleaned it up and put abit of heat proof lubricant on the end and its fine. Will check it again over winter.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

If you listen for funny noises you will always hear them. I found the paso to be a noisey bike .... not engine ... well that too but wind noise , road noise ( and that changes depending on road surface ). Probly the easiest guide ( thats GUIDE not one of Moses's tablets!), most noises that keep time with road speed are either chasis related ( wheels, brakes ,chain ) or road/wind noise . Noises that change with engine speed ( change gear whilst maintaining same road speed ) are probly the engine/gearbox.
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
LimitedEdition

Post by LimitedEdition »

I found that out with my old CBX750. Constantly paranoid about knocking noises, because of the cam chain issue. Eventually it knocked really really loudly (saying loudly sounds wrong to me?) anyway it knocked for a good 3 months. Even after a service it knocked, eventually it went bang... due to lack of oil (unknown oil leak) so the knocking couldn't have been anything to worry about. I'm paranoid about the ducati though, it's the newest (mileage wise) bike that I've owned. I'm proud to own a ducati and am even more proud to have a noisy one :P
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

A cbx 750 huh , I had one of those :-( ..... biggest heap of shit I ever owned.... god took care of it for me ... I was sitting in a row of stationary traffic wondering how I could get shot of this peice of shit without loosing to much money .... and someone ran up the arse of me and solved all the problems. rattly primary chain ,noisy lifters ( yeah they were hydraulic ) used heaps of oil ( 1l /1000km's ) and was tapped at 180km/h. It would be a toss up between that bike and a xv750 for the" most useless bike I've ever owned" award :fart:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time