Another oil leak

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Maico88
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Another oil leak

Post by Maico88 »

Noticed the other day that my 750 Sport had a spot of oil under it. After a thorough cleaning the oil appeared to be coming from the oil filter. Got a new filter and changer the oil in the bike. Further testing reveals that the bike is still leaking. I am going to put a pressure gauge on it and see what the oil pressure looks like. any other suggestions. (I did notice that duc in the bay had what appeared to be a similar problem on his bikes).
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Another oil leak

Post by paso750 »

Did you verify the oil is not coming from the oil level window ?

G.
angelix
model: 907 I.E.

Post by angelix »

If you reploaced the oil firlte, most likely, that is the culprit.

Sometoimes the gaskets are slightly defective or simply it wasent fitted correctly; the gasket has to be oiled always before fitting the filter to allow it to be "squeezed" correctly when tightening (by hand).
Maico88

Post by Maico88 »

No, I replaced the filter in an attempt to solver the problem. After noticing the leak I gave the engine a thorough cleaning. After the cleaning, the first place oil appeared was on the bottom of the filter. I then changed the oil and filter. I checked the oil sight glass. It does not appear to be the culprit. Am going to clean again and recheck. Am also going to attempt to check the oil pressure.
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Hi,

Take your belt covers off and check for oil inside. The pulley at the bottom of the V has a seal behind it which is prone to leaking. The oil runs down and ends up at the oil filter. Did the same as you, changed the filter, tightened the filter, changed the filter etc. With the Paso motor being black it was difficult to trace the oil path. At one stage I though it might be from the oil cooler hose connections, so removed them and remounted, but didn't help. In the end removing the belt covers was conclusive, there was quite a bit of oil coating the inside of the covers and on the belts. Replacing the seal fixed it.

Cheers,

Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
Maico88

Post by Maico88 »

Thanks, I had not thought of that. Will pull the covers tomorrow.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

Could be faulty oil :D
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time