What engines fit paso frame?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

What engines fit paso frame?

Post by lane1feathers »

Hi all, I was thinking of doing the mikuni carb swap on my 906 but its gonna cost at least a grand to do the conversion and with the other repairs I've got to do...and will have to do in the future (59000km on the clock) Ill be up for a couple of grand at least.
Sooooooo I was thinking about dropping a low km motor in it from a wrecked monster or 900SS and solve all my problems. Does anyone know if one of these will fit and if there is anything on the market in the UK (as anything Ducati over here in Oz is overpriced)

Cheers
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: What engines fit paso frame?

Post by paso750 »

how can a Mikuni conversion cost a grand and why swap the motor and spend money for that if it`s still running ?
Ducati engines are robust if they are regularly serviced and driven warm. A high milage does not necessarily mean it`s going to break down at any time. There are Pasos here with over 100.000km on the clock and a friend`s 888 has 120.000km and is still running strong.

The Paso motor has a narrow swingarm mount. Hence if you use one from a SS or monster the bosses on the engine need to be machined to fit the Paso swingarm. Also the thread on the front cylinder needs to be modified as the Paso uses a much larger bolt.

G:
lane1feathers

Post by lane1feathers »

Hi G, $1000 was the quote from the ducati shop in my area. They did say I could save some money by trawling eBay and get items myself and have them do the job. I'd like to do the conversion myself but don't think I have the expertise. Is there much to it? Maybe I should look on youtube for a tutorial :D
It's good to know these engines are reliable and robust, but the big ole I bought mine off didn't really look after it very well so I'm always expecting failure. I figured buying a low km bike, I could use what I need and sell the rest to recoup some costs.
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
lane1feathers

Post by lane1feathers »

If I did do the conversion, what do you recommend...mikuni, delorto, keihin? And what size would I use?
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

This may nudge you in the right direction hopefully

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... conversion
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Duc750
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

Simplest way is some carbs straight off a 900ss/cr or Monster - you need the inlet manifolds, the inlet manifold rubbers, the twist grip and the throttle cables. You'll also need some sock type K&N or pipercross type filters.
Clean the carbs, mess around with the jets, bolt it all on and then go for a ride.

Its been a while since I did my 750 (ten years or so) but its really not hard to do.

If you want to do the full job you need to get the fibreglass out and modify airboxes (or build a full carbon fibre custom one) but thats beyond my skill/patience level and best left to guys like G to get right !

In fact most of the bits you want are here
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5807
lane1feathers

Post by lane1feathers »

Cool, thanks guys, helpful as always. I'll chase it up and have a crack at it myself :thumbup:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

If I did do the conversion, what do you recommend...mikuni, delorto, keihin? And what size would I use?
To answer your question. If you`re on a budget there`s about no way around the Mikunis. Ducati SS & Monster (600, 750, 900) used them as did the Yamaha TDM900 and TRX850.
Dell ortos are rather expensive. Keihin FCRs and Mikuni TDMRs are in a totally different price category.
There may be some standard Keihin carbs that can be fitted. However the advantage of the Mikunis is that you can get all required parts to mount them easily and also jets and needles are no problem.

G.

PS: check your pms
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

The other good thing about using the Mikunis from another Ducati model is that;
1. they are pretty reliable and steady. Not many bad thing written about them except that they were originally tuned to pass emissions tests.
2. you don't have to re-invent cables and throttles and such. All pretty cheap on e-bay or from a bike yard.
3. They are the cheapest option. I bought a set with manifolds from the local classifieds for $50.
4. Easy to modify, as there are plenty of kits to rejet the carbs, and lots written about it. (not so much on this site, but many others) Get a Stage 1 or Stage 2 kit and the 906 should run pretty damn good, all the time.

Not the highest performance option, but probably the best option for good usability, especially around town.

Can't say what you need to do for an air box. Can you modify the original, or will an SS or Monster box fit? I'm sure somone on this site has made this change.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

G'day Lane

These guys may be able to help you, be it engine or carbs

http://www.motorcyclewreckers.com/contactus.htm

02 9748 7400

Speak to Ben or Joel (owner), they are currently wrecking a few various Monster's and other models at the moment, and may have what your chasing at the right price, always worth a try.

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
lane1feathers

Post by lane1feathers »

Excellent, thanks guys. I've just bought a set of mikunis from Dan (ex TRX850) so will be fitting these when they arrive. I've also got twist grip, cables, 900 inlet tubes, just need pods, new fuel lines and some patience. I've read all the threads so hopefully won't be asking already answered questions :beer:
The wreckers will come in handy for other things needed tho. so thanks Peter.
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
duc907
year: 1992

Post by duc907 »

For what I've seen carb conversions going for you could piece together F.I.
Duc750
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

You could always go for a megasquirt I guess !

A lot of work though with getting all the right sensor feeds in place