discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

pasoalf
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Paso fairy tales

Post by pasoalf »

Hi,
I own since 24 years a 750 Paso and since tree years a 906 Paso. I’m always surprised reading what problems the Paso has and what kind of bike it is. I feel now it’s the time to rectify some silly statements.
General
First of all I do not consider the Paso as a sportstourer. Just because you don’t sit on it like an ape, and you have a real pillion (sozius) seat does not mean that this is a touring bike. The Paso is a real Sports bike and it has for sure more quality’s than many later Ducati models. And for me it represents Ducati much more the for example the Monster.
In addition I had on’s the opportunity to ride a db1. Sorry, but the Paso is the better bike…
Handling
In general the handling of the Paso is superb. The only justified (Paso)critic relates to the original front tire. Breaking in a corner was just an adventure. This little problem can be solved easily. If you mount an 130/70 or 120/80 in front, the bike behaves neutral even if you brake in a corner. In addition it enhances the stability of the bike
Weber carburator
I can’t follow the complaints about the Weber carburettor. I don’t know what kind of mechanic’s some of you guys have. I never had any real problem (not with the 750 nor with the 906). It may be a bit different/special but I never faced any problem. Perhaps a bit nervous at the first 2-3mm but besides that, nice response, no holes whatever…. For me it belongs to the Paso like the bodywork. It just belongs to that bike. Take it or leave it..!!
Elecric
If you worry about that, buy a Japanese bike. I one’s had to change the regulator, besides that no Problems. Meanwhile I’ve put a special Philips H4 in front which improved the front light, and I’ve replaced the Instrument lights with Led’s (Thanks the hint on this Forum). This is a real improvement, because sometimes I did not see, that the turn light still was on.

Besides that I believe there is not real necessity for mayor improvements on the Paso. I still have put an 88 bore kit to have more power (Power is always welcome). And certainly the original pipes are emotionless. I prefer the GiaCaMoto pipes . Nice deep sound, and not to loud.

It is not the intention to judge any of the made statements in that great forum. I just want to tell you that the Paso is a superb bike with a lot of quality’s and minor weaknesses.
Paso 750/ 1987
Paso 906/ 1992
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Re: Paso fairy tales

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Good on you, my friend! I agree. There are many, many good things about the 750 Paso. I love mine also.
koko64
model: other
year: 1999

Post by koko64 »

Thats why I'm trying to buy one. Impressive design. I can fix the weaknesses.
2013 M1100 Evo Street
2004 GSXR750 Track
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

I will never sell my paso 906 , but Im not blind to its short commings ( I believe the perfect bike has yet to be built , but then I have not ridden the Morbidelli V8 :cool: ) but you have to make some allowances in all aspects of life , I mean my Mrs can be a proper bitch at times, usually immediately after discovering a new gun or bike or even some old "collectable" ( opinions vary :D ) ammo, but after 25 years of trying to modify her I think I should have left her standard , lets face it a tit job cost more than 4 pot brembo's ( I think :) ) ( I have the brembo's ) but I cant get this buying something you like and then changing it into something it wasn't ( she was engaged to one of my mates when I met her .... so it was more of a hire purchase :lol: :lol: )
Huh , I cant remember where I was going with this :lol: :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

:thumbup:
I agree, too.
But, I have to say that Weber carb is very tricky to tune and, when I had the 906, the mechanics (not only one) did not manage to do running her smoothly.
I agree also about the front tire.
I was killing myself at the first bend with my 906!!!
So, when I was homesick for the Paso, I had no doubt and bought (not one, but) two 907s.
Very happy from, even if I also had to replace a regulator which caught fire. Really scared when I saw the flames from the front fairing.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by lane1feathers »

Well said, I love my 906 and hope to never be in a position where I have to sell her. My wife is actually jealous of her!....says its my new wife as I can't get off her!! :beer:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
geomac
year: 1988

Post by geomac »

pasoalf
i agree totally. The Paso 750 has been much dumped on. I have had mine for 15 years. I read this forum regularly but seldom post because most members have more to offer in info than I.

But, the Weber... I knew Mikunis inside and out. The Weber was a whole different animal. And that is what made it fun to learn. I had it working fine at sea level and now at 7000 feet elevation where I live. Is it as smooth as fuel injection? No. But that is no big deal.

Tires have been a problem in the past but that is correcting itself.

I have several different bikes right now. Every time I ride the Paso I think that it is such a good bike and strong for a 750. It does not feel like an older bike when you ride it. I have had 5 Ducatis in the past. Bikes come and go in my garage but the Paso always seems to stay.

And that styling! It's beautiful and designed by one of the truly last great motorcycle designers.

I know I am preaching to the true believers, but had to say it anyway.
randtcastell

Post by randtcastell »

I was an absolute Brit bike aficionado, when I hit some hard times and had to sell my Bonnie and my BSA. After paying debts I had just enough cash to find a cheap ride. Well I found an amazing bike: my Paso. Someone was a fool to sell her, but my life changed for the better when I bought her, for I found true love! And she had been so undervalued. The P750 is a great ride once sorted: great performer, incredibly beautiful, and reliable. She's my favorite bike, I'll never let her go. Just to see her makes my heart jump.

:):):)
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Jeffreyt

Post by Jeffreyt »

My wife says that Ducati is not only a motorcycle but it is also a disease. This disease started with my 1987 Paso 750 which I still have and am working on constantly not to make her different but to make her beautiful and back to her original self. I also have a Honda VTX 1300R for my cruiser exploits but then there is the ST3 which I love too but not as much as the Paso. I don't know about weber carbs since mine came with Mikuni carbs. I have gotten nothing but rave remarks from everyone that has seen the Paso. Everyone has one true love and mine is the Paso.