Start motor

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Jonas
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Start motor

Post by Jonas »

I´ve tried to start my 750Sport who have been standning still for over 10years now.
Unfourtunately the start motor is not working, I can hear the solenoid clicking.
I've tried to connect + directly on the starter but it dosent run anyhow.

Any ideas?

How to remove the start motor?

I´ve just Changes oil, do I need to drin it?

BR//Jonas
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Start motor

Post by Mc tool »

Hi Jonas , to remove the starter motor you will need to drain oil OR figure some way to lean your bike over to the right as you will need to remove the left engine cover to access the starter mounting bolts ( one of which is got at via a hole in the starter idler gear) . It is possible to remove the end cap off the starter without removing starter from engine. Before you do any of that , try putting bike in top gear and roll it backwards , the idea being to rotate the starter motor as they may be a bit of crud on the comutator ( the bit with all the copper segments that the brushes run on )...........might work :) .
Depends on how keen you are , I would remove the starter and strip it down ,( paying particular attention as to how it goes together as its possible to get it wrong and the starter will run backwards ) and give it a good clean out and inspection :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

so the bike has been sitting for over 10 years and now you`re trying to start it ? What other preparation did you do other than an oil change ? Did you try to turn over the engine by hand to be sure nothing is seized ? Did you check the ground connection from the battery to the engine and change the belts ?

G.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Hi,
Thanks for your answers.
I'll start to rotate it backwards.

I've fixed the tank (sealaer), changed timing belts aso.

(I've had Cagiva Elefant in beteween).

The reason why I'm a bit more nervous is that this is a mint contidion bike in 100% original, no bolts have ever been loosen, just oroginal parts.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Is it possible to service the startmotor without removing it?
Is there any servicekit you can buy for the start motor?
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

so, does the engine turn ?
Here`s the kit. If you need the bearings too check the P750 FAQs.
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... 23aSMBK175

I`d recommend to remove the starter. It`s more work but you will have a lot less problems.