Clutch Issue

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

99mcoupe
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Clutch Issue

Post by 99mcoupe »

Hello. I have a 1987 750 Paso that I bought a few months ago. It only has 3,300 miles and ran and shifted fine but had a leak in the clutch master cylinder. I replaced that but the clutch wouldn't engage so my mechanic told me something was wrong with the slave cylinder and that the previous owner had put automatic transmission fluid in the clutch resevoir. I got a used slave cylinder out of Eastern Europe and a new slave cylinder seal. The Ducati shop put it all back together but still could not get any clutch pressure and they don't know why. So the bike sits and summer is moving on. Does anyone know what I should do???

Thank you.
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Clutch Issue

Post by 900streetfighter »

Try bleeding from master cylinder at the banjo bolt/hose connection. I replaced my banjo bolts for nipple style.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

900streetfighter wrote:Try bleeding from master cylinder at the banjo bolt/hose connection. I replaced my banjo bolts for nipple style.
Yeah , the clutch can be a proper bitch to bleed . I do mine by forcing the fluid up from the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder , and bleeding air from the banjo bolt at the master cylinder ( as 900 streetfighter says ..... the bleed nipple there is a good idea too ) , some peeps even remove the master cyl from the handle bar so as to hold it at an advantageous angle ( hose still connected ) . My theory is that the internal diameter of the clutch hose is large enough to allow air bubbles to rise faster than you can "pump" them down ..... hence forcing fluid UP from the bottom works better . I used a large syringe. There is a tech tip in the FAQ's showing how to fit a slave piston assy off a later duke , which wont help you bleed it but it is a good mod to do when replacing the original piston/bearing assy :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
MarkST
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by MarkST »

Mc tool wrote:There is a tech tip in the FAQ's showing how to fit a slave piston assy off a later duke , which wont help you bleed it
Well actually it will if you have it hanging loose and force the piston into the cylinder with a clamp, as then there's nothing in there to bleed out.
2004 ST4S
2001 ST4
1987 Paso 750
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

MarkST wrote:
Mc tool wrote:There is a tech tip in the FAQ's showing how to fit a slave piston assy off a later duke , which wont help you bleed it
Well actually it will if you have it hanging loose and force the piston into the cylinder with a clamp, as then there's nothing in there to bleed out.
:) Yes MarkST your right , and Im sure I would have thought of that if you'd given me a few more seconds :D :D :lol: ...........you see , the one drawback was that the cover had to be in place otherwise when pushing the fluid into the slave cylinder the piston popped out the other side and spewed fluid all over the clutch assy and floor ( that didn't happen to me :mad: :lol: ).............so I was nearly there ;) .......... :roll:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time