paso oil feeder pipe

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

pearlpaso
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

paso oil feeder pipe

Post by pearlpaso »

Hi all im Darrell just a quick hello to introduce myself as i plan on picking every ones brain with a problem i have with my 1988 paso 750p. The issue i have is that i recently snapped the lower oil cooler union at the engine casing side. I had it re welded due to the fact that i was unable to source a new union i tried all the dealers in NZ that were local and also Gouwanlock in Austrlia but there was simply no listing for this part. The top oil cooler union was available. I should imagine those of you with a 750 paso are a bit confused as i am right now. for some unknown reason my bike has a small oil feed pipe approx 5mm in diameter which runs along the lower right hand side of the bike from the lower union and runs back to the rear of the engine and into the casing.

It is possible that it feeds extra oil to a clutch bearing but i have been unable to confirm this because my manual doe's not show this pipe and also there are no listings for a part number etc. I have a old microfiche with every part imaginable with part numbers etc but once again there is no pipe or additional union to suit. I have also viewed a couple of videos of bike in workshops but i have not seen another paso the same. This is puzzling i can only think that perhaps the bike had been raced at some stage and the pipe is to allow a better flow of oil to the bearing? Im not to bad with repairs and mechanical issue as a whole but i do not know a lot about the inner workings of this engine.
The issue i have with it that i cannot stop a leak from the rear bango secured with a bango bolt. the initial banjo bolt snapped due to over tightening (Idiot rash i call it) i noticed the thread in the casing was also damaged i had to re drill and insert a 14mm self tapping tap using a brand new 1/2'' drill bit scarey stuff drilling into an 1988 classic but it was successful until i decided to play with things again and perfect a very small amount of oil slowley sneaking past the copper washer. Anyway what i need to know is do i need this pipe or can i simply do away with it for a simple resolve. Can any one help with my issue please. cheers DJ
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Re: paso oil feeder pipe

Post by paso750 »

Hi there,

could you post some pictures?

G.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Whereabouts in NZ are you Darrell?

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that if your research shows that no other Paso has this oil feed, yours can do without it also.

I subscribe to the 'sic' theory - 'simple is clever'. (It's original, actually ...)
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Hi and welcome , and where are you ? That pipe sounds a bit unusual , love to see it .Have you got a handle on how to post pix ?
Hamish
(Thornbury , Southland )
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
pearlpaso

Post by pearlpaso »

ok thanks for the response i will try up loading some pics to view cheers dj
pearlpaso

Post by pearlpaso »

Hi Hamish i am in Auckland NZ p.s i like ya quote will this work on the ex lol
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

pearlpaso wrote: p.s i like ya quote will this work on the ex lol
Dunno, but I think Ernest Rutherford once said "If a theory is not simple enough to explain to the barmaid, it's probably nor correct"
pearlpaso

Post by pearlpaso »

Hi guys here is the picture of the mystery oil feed pipe on my 750paso. hoping it will send cheers dj
Attachments
20151119_100821.jpg
20151119_100821.jpg (408.3 KiB) Viewed 10823 times
pearlpaso

Post by pearlpaso »

2nd picture this is the union the pipe fits into located at front of the engine joining to the lower union.
Attachments
oil pipe union.jpg
oil pipe union.jpg (160.73 KiB) Viewed 10823 times
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I`d like to see how that`s installed on the engine. I still don`t get what the oil line was/is for.
However if you need a new adapter to fit the original oil hose to the engine it`s M14x1.5 to 1/2" BSP.
DaveM
year: 1990

Post by DaveM »

Hi I have the same oil pipe set up on my 750 motor, i do not know where or what it sends oil to, i have just rebuilt the motor and it is back in the frame. here's some photo's of the oil pipe in postion on the motor. I thought that all 750 Paso's had this oil pipe.
Dave.

Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Well, oil be damned, this is getting quite interesting ...
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

:lol: :x

Thats one fugly lookin clutch
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
pearlpaso

Post by pearlpaso »

Yip the exact piece. looks like im going to need to spend some $ on resurfacing the face on the engine so the inner copper washer seals properly. Unless there is a product such as Automotive sealer which will take up the slack. Back to the drawing board. thanks for the help guys i will keep my progress posted.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I don`t see the sense in it. The tube connects the return line from the oil coolers to the oil sump (below the oil level). Wouldn`t that reduce the oil pressure a bit that supplies the oil to the heads?
Attachments
Ducati_oelkreislauf.jpg
Ducati_oelkreislauf.jpg (116.16 KiB) Viewed 10755 times