750 Paso Comfort & Ergonomics

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Don

750 Paso Comfort & Ergonomics

Post by Don »

Hi,

I have found a 1987 Ducati Paso that I am interested in, but would like some information from experienced owners. Being unable to test drive it prior to driving a significant distance I want to get as much info as possible.

What is the comfort of the bike? I have had to sell my 94 and 95 Honda CBR900RRs due to the uncomfortable riding position. The performance was an absolute blast, but I experienced too much wrist pain from leaning so far forward all the time. Is the Paso more of a sport-touring bike or a true sportbike?

How does the handling rate? Is it stiffly or softly sprung? Is the steering heavy or light?

How is the performance? Is it torquey? Does it make all the horsepower up top or in the midrange? Does the power feel sufficient? I am not looking to race modern sportbikes, but the ability go play on the mountain and hold my own is a requirement... :)

Any insight anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
(near Washington, DC USA)
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

They're comfortable, torquey, and solid, Don, and theres just something about them ... I reckon you should buy it. If you don't like it, youll find a buyer easy enough if its a good one.

Someone with experience of both Pasos and CBR900s may be able to give you more specific advice. But I reckon you should buy it.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

the paso has much better ergos than your typical sportbike, but then again the paso isn't really a sportbike. it's got ergos kinda like the VFR or the katana.

i have ridden mine 450 miles in one day (on the stock seat!) and while i was pretty beat, it was doable.

it however, pales by comparison to my K1100RS as far as comfort goes. the K11 is typical BMW comfort/ergos and can do 450 miles and keep on going.

for reference, I'm 5' 8" with a 30" inseam.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Don,

The Paso is a terrific motorcycle...for 1987. By todays standards it's just a nice classic. I have the Paso, 748, Monster S4 and another brand of antique (H) and the difference is startling!

A 17 year old moto is as much a restoration project as a regular rider. I have a low mileage paso and still have to work on it with great regularity.

If you are looking for: the ability go play on the mountain and hold my own is a requirement... :) then I don't really think that a Paso is the best choice. It does make a great 2nd bike for those nice easy rides.

I realize that my fellow Paso owners might think my comments unkind, but this is my opinion.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

I still reckon you should buy it, if its a good one, Don. They're a unique mix of comfort, performance, and style, and they're not making any more of them. Get one while you still can. Like I say, you can always sell it, if its a good one, if you dont like it.
steele

Post by steele »

Buy it don they are great bikes and if you do want it to be quicker theres lots you can do to them(including fitting n2o) .One of the nicest things about them is the way people still think after all this time they are a new bike the stying (IMHO) is timeless :thumbup:
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

don,
i don't have many miles on my 907 as i just got it b-4 the weather turned.however,i was/am so impressed that i want another,just haven't figured the creative financing thing out yet. i pondered selling the 650 cagiva and the horex but haven't,yet.we're not that far away if interested in the 650 (ohio). i agree with skins,buy it,try it, if it doesn't fit sell it. i find the riding position comfy so far. had a 850 le mans mk 1 and only ran a tank of gas thru it.didn't fit. loved the bike since the mags labeled it a "flashbike". my back wasn't as impressed.
buying a bike is not like marriage.it's more like dating,find one,see how it fits and if something doesn't feel right,trade it in. i have 3 bikes for 25 yrs or so,had numerous others thru the garage,some stayed longer than others.
hey skins, what do you mean if it's a good one? don't tell me these are like junkuir's.had a late '50's,'66 mk 2,'68 e,'71e,80's xj6's and a '93 xjs 4lt 6 cyl(loved the car,hated the electrical repair bills). the books i read on jag's mentioned certain yrs when there were problems,the never mentioned the good year to buy tho! i never found one anyway and it wasn't for not trying.
live and learn don. nothing ventured,nothing gained.even bad experiendes give ya something to tell later in life.
hey j.c, what antique H ? wasn't a horex was it? want another? i'll find some doe for another 907 yet.don't tell my wife tho.
regards,wiggs
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

hey, wiggs

i guess by good one i mean one thats not been abused - like rounded nuts and so on, although i am amazed at how well the fastenings on the Paso take their torque - good bodywork, sorted carburation (dellortos or a pressure regulator for a weber fitted), maybe the starter and ignition system upgraded, just one that starts well, runs well, looks good, so that it is easily resaleable.
yeah, i have never owned a jag - too complicated for me, although i love their looks.

my recommendation of the 750 Paso is because the motor and transmission is potentially extremely smooth, it has exceptional low speed stability because its so low and has 16in wheels (i for one spend heaps of time at low speed city and suburban riding), one sits comfortably yet not high, one almost never needs to slip the clutch - power is there from zero revs, and the power band is very wide - and 75hp is heaps for the highway too. i once compared number of gear shifts with a mate on an old CBR1000, which also had only 5 speeds. (pulling out from highway rest area, then one mile down the road in traffic to a restaurant) not counting into and out of neutral at take off and finish, i made 6 changes on the Paso, he made 15 on the CBR.
Last edited by Skins on Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don

Post by Don »

Thanks for all the comments guys...

I'm still thinking about it, but if they'll let me test drive I might be taking a little road trip.

Thanks again,
Don
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Good luck, Don. Maybe see you again, eh?
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

don,
don't be disappointed if the seller doesn't offer a test ride. i used to be pretty good at letting buddies ride my stuff,i usually have something a little offbeat that people usually don't get the chance to ride so i thought what the heck. cost me a headlite for the '69 450 ducati scr, '70 honda headlite,bucket and fender, by george. while advertising a big valve 1000 S guzzi another george dropped it.
i've since become alittle more particular who ride my stuff. i don't want someone screwing up the good shifting of the 860 gt,seems the gearboxes may be tender on the old bevels. i don't have to feel bad if something happens that's out of my control.
having bought bikes that were not ridden b-4 hasn't led to too many suprises. occasionally the raised eyebrow at something but then again i've done the same thing while buying a car or bike.look it all over real goood in the daylight,test drive it and get it home and say to myself "i didn't see that".
most people think ya only live once. right or wrong,i'm not taking any chances.enjoy it while we can.seems anymore that if the BIG GUY doesn't take ya out some freak or freak of nature will.
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

hey skins,
i see what you mean now.funny how a neat scotch makes things clearer at 8:30 am . 3rd shift. getting ready for bed ,then dinner with the moms and new years.
i'm hoping this 907 is a good one. it was/is advertised on the docc.ca web site.had a clutch upgrade,lumpy pistons(rather have stock,personally) stainless brake lines etc.
if a newer bike 10-15 yrs old has rounded nuts (sounds painful) and other signs of hillbillyism then yes be advised.if the bike in question is 50-60 years old then expect that.
it's still kind of hit and miss tho. some young kid (read previous owner) may have run it hard the first few thousand miles.saw a kid back when the 550 hondas were new, had to replace the rear tire on his then new cb550 ss at less than 2k.i wouldn't want that bike no matter how nice it looked.somedoby got it as the kid lost it.
oops,my wife just got up.gotta run.
c-dogg

Post by c-dogg »

don,
my paso was (and still is) my first bike, and i really like it. comfort is really good, great power, fun bike. there are some niggles on a bike this old, of course, but ive found working on it has been a good learning experience (thanks to ducatipaso.org!). speaking of wich, where do you get a pressure regulator and what kind? my weber needs it bad, as the bike is often too rich and sags baddly on hard starts. but, great, beautiful bike.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

c-dogg, from what i read, any fuel pressure regulator you can fit between the tank and the weber, and set to 3psi, will do the trick. purolator is one brand you can use. any auto parts supplier should be able to advise you. my bike runs very well with a pair of dellorto phf 36mm, but the pressure regulator would be much cheaper. youre bound to be able to get one for under $100.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Stop into nearly any auto speed shop and pick up one of these regulators made by Mr. Gasket http://tinyurl.com/5ktxr

About $30US

Jon